Clay pigeon venue's

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of what I said do you consider bollocks.  Are you saying because I don't care if I win I am not entitled to shoot good targets?  Concentrating on winning is not a good thing for me, concentrating on shooting each presentation well and not thinking about my misses is my goal.  when I win it's great I don't deny but I can't go out there thinking that's my goal otherwise it all turns to rat sh*t.

chill :wink: I mean no harm

Thats good you do your own thing, !but there is a lot out there that have a different view when it comes to a registered shoot
My percentages were exaggerated which was probably obvious to most but Chippy probably has the right mix of numbers and explanation.  

chill :wink: I mean no harm
Really because it f***ing well didn't come across that way.  Sorry Matt for swearing and in case it magically disappears that word had to do with fornication.

Define fun.. I've seen Sian shoot a lot and she's as concerned about her performance as anybody, with plenty of grit if it's not going well. That's still fun to her. 

Mostly people like to break clays. At a registered shoot score is an inescapable element, but two other things are the main focus. 1. How did you do compared to your own usual performance and 2) how far up the overall results list (or class list) are you.

I will admit I view half my shoots as a frustrating load of rubbish, then some of the rest as good. Mainly it's a bag of frustration with a few moments of sparkle to keep me going..

I personally only shoot to win a comp or a registered shoot and that is what gives me the drive to do it !

I rely on my averages and I know what I can do or cannot

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does a comp cost to enter on average.
£35-40 usually. 

I would say the top 10% don't shoot for fun They shoot to win. Out of the remaining 90%. 60% of us know that we will never get any better and we shoot for fun because we like shooting. The other 30% think they can win and they don't enjoy it at all. In fact I sometimes wonder why they keep shooting.
Very true. I'm in that last 30%. I was just about to quit, then I got joint HG the other day so I will now do another fruitless year trying to do it again.. ?

Thanks will. I do see were Sian is coming from it all depends on how competitive you are and what you are trying to gain from the comp.
Its a great personal journey, with yourself as the main competitor against yourself, if that makes sense, especially in the first few years.

I shoot to the best of my ability if I can help it regardless of whether it's registered or a regular comp, if it weren't fun why would anyone do it ? Maybe peoples perceptions of fun is different, the adrenaline rush with individual demanding targets, the rush of not dropping easy targets, the "high" of a decent finish, the dismembering of each stand with friends afterwards, the flashbacks to misses or better still, hard won straights, to me these are all fun. 

I agree some (usually the better shots) appear not to enjoy the process but I bet even they're having more fun than when they're sat at home or doing anything else. 

ps. I do know one or two who are just so constantly sour faced you wonder why they do it. 

I totally get that competition is what some seek and also that measuring yourself against the targets and not a score card is also worthwhile to some. Each to their own say I!

Me?  I'm very much in the camp that shooting is what I do on the way to the pub  :wink:  

I think the great majority of shooters shoot with the aim of just improving and shooting registered shoots enables us to monitor progress or not .

I think the term might be called semi serious.

£35-40 usually. 

Very true. I'm in that last 30%. I was just about to quit, then I got joint HG the other day so I will now do another fruitless year trying to do it again.. ?
Don't worry if you keep going you either reach the 10% or see sense and join the 60% either way happy days.

Latest posts

Back