Class Entry Choice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Are there to many class entry choices at shoots.

HG, AA, A, B, C, D, super vets, vets, juniors, Colts, ladies., prob missed some, If any one is entitled to shoot in any one of these it eliminates them from class wins. Eg:- lady hits 80 / 100 but opts for A class but ladies is won with 65 so is there a point in having ladies (just an example). Regularly see colts and juniors with AA scores winning less in colts and juniors than if they were in the classes.

if you are a male shooter under the age of 60 you have to shoot the classes no choice, so are the other choices offered to vets, ladies, juniors fair? It also spreads the £5.00 comp prize fee thinly.

I always thought that the classes were there as a true reflection of ability so do we need the others? 

In normal registered shoots there is no prize money for vets/ ladies / super vets/ colts/ juniors / disabled etc just high gun ,AA ,A,B,C

trophies might be given as could sponsored prizes like cartridges to the other catogories 

a lady could win juniors,lady,high gun ,and class but would only pick up cash for high gun 

a man could win veterans ,high gun ,class win but again would only pick up high gun cash prize the class win would be given to the next highest place 

Like the CPSA classification and ranking system this is a matter that defies my understanding. Fortunately it only applied to people whom may win things, so the actual effect on me is minimal...

Easy to be confused with classes. Grounds sometimes try to offer class prizes in everything to attract more customers, others stick to the so called lettered classes. If the choice is offered when you enter, go for the one you fancy your chances in the best. Vets is perhaps the most difficult as a lot of once-useful shooters choose that as their abilities start to suffer and they can't compete with the big lads any more for high gun. We used to offer ladies, vets, juniors if there were three or more entrants in each of those classes. Maybe just a class win prize of £40 if there were only three - but they had only contributed £18 in to the prize fund so it was fairly generous.

Classes and prize funds are always contentious. Nothing changes.

As said earlier most normal registered shoots only operate H/G and lettered classes.

The time to nominate class/category should be in any major competition. As with this year at the British open juniors/colts and uncle Tom Cobbley were being moved round at will, all with the cost of one entry. Ok the prizes may not be fantastic for the categories and entry fees should be reduced to reflect this.

If a category shooter fancies their chances in their class, then nominate to shoot it, if not shoot in their category. BUT NOMINATE.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not remove high gun cash  and pay it through classes  or reduce entry fees ?   lets be honest it would only effect a small percentage  of shooters capable of winning it .  :wink:  

why not remove high gun cash  and pay it through classes  or reduce entry fees ?   lets be honest it would only effect a small percentage  of shooters capable of winning it .  :wink:  
mid norfolk used to do this. You could get £80 for winning your class. And the high gun still won AA. In fact the AAA shooters don't need the money as they are all making a mint coaching the rest of us to get better so we don't win anything either.

[SIZE=10pt]Class is a vague indication of ability but nothing more than that. Because the CPSA only readjust classes every 6 months it entirely possible for very capable shooters to be placed in a low class (last years Krieghoff B class winner is proof of that!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Categories, in my opinion, are very necessary to keep interest up, particularly amongst ladies and colts, whose scores are generally lower than seniors, juniors and veterans. To throw them all in the same pot would make winning all but impossible for many. That said, I do think there's a debate to be had about whether non seniors should shoot in one category rather than having the flexibility to chop and change from event to event.[/SIZE]

All ground dependant !!!, some grounds dont pay high gun prizes, just class prizes generated from each classed competitor, some grounds provide the H/G prize from their own pocket, ie a sponsored prize  & others do both !!!  :smile:  

Simple answer is to go 'birds only' and then you are shooting for fun and not worrying about what class you might or might not win ;-) 

What's wrong with trying to win. It is a comp. I wouldn't like to win A class with 75 / 100 knowing a A class junior hit 80 in juniors. Nothing would have been won, had he been in A class he would have won it. Just saying 12 classes at some comps seem excessive, why not pay more down the classes say down to 5th or more depending on entries.

This has happened to me once or twice, you look on the cpsa result's and see your 3rd or 4th or even 5th in A class then next time your at the ground you pick up £60 for winning. Nice.

Latest posts

Back