Chokes for sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John12

Hi All,

Finally got my SGC and a new Beretta 686. It is a multi-choke gun and the choke system seems confusing so I want to check i am doing the right thing.

I have used the following chokes:

Top barrel: 3 notches (I understand this equates to "modified" or "1/2 choke")

Bottom barrel: 4 notches (I understand this equates to "improved cylinder" or 1/4 choke)

Does this makes sense as a setup for ESP and is my understanding correct that this means the top barrel will have a tighter pattern and shoot further and that the bottom barrel will have a wider pattern and is better at a closer range?

I normally always shoot top barrel first (setting marked one dot), so not sure it makes sense to have different chokes as the first is not necessarily the further one, but I guess it gives you the option to switch in case the first is a rabbit and you then want to shoort bottom barrel first.

Hope that makes sense, if someone could confirm I have understood it correctly that would be much appreciated!

Oh yes, I can confirm it for you, you are spot on correct, even down to worrying more about which barrel to shoot first. Can I suggest that you shoot the gun as is, for a while and then you can search for another 3 or 4 dot choke, whichever you choose. This will enable you to shoot 2 equal chokes, so it will not matter which barrel you shoot first !  It does make life a whole lot easier. You will note that I have refrained from suggesting WHICH 2 chokes to choose !

Thanks Westley, glad to hear I got it right.

It makes a lot of sense to uncomplicate life and to have the same in both, will see how I get on. At least I now know I got the theory right, just need to work on the actual shooting :).

One dot on a beretta is the bottom barrel I believe. "Two for top"

But try and remember that chokes were developed many many years ago when cartridges were rubbish. You never need very tight chokes for Sporting with modern shells and I recommend fitting two of the same so you can forget them and just shoot. 

Thanks Westley, glad to hear I got it right.

It makes a lot of sense to uncomplicate life and to have the same in both, will see how I get on. At least I now know I got the theory right, just need to work on the actual shooting :).
Of course it does.  Having sorted out the chokes and fitted 2 the same, you could then buy 2 different brands of cartridge, one for each barrel and see how that works for you !

Then again, stick with plan A and work on the actual shooting.    :unsure:

I've shot half and half in my sporters for years, same with shells - 24g 7s usually.

The less i have to think about fiddling with chokes and cartridges the better so I can just enjoy the shooting. If I miss I know it's my fault and nothing else.

Thanks for the advice all and for clarifying the correct top / bottom barrel indicator.

Just ordered another 1/2 choke from GMK, think it will be better than 1/4 whilst on the learning curve. 

Aim to forget about chokes from here on!

You would be surprised how little difference there is between these two chokes, I don't see how anyone would miss due using one or other in reality 

Hi All,

Finally got my SGC and a new Beretta 686. It is a multi-choke gun and the choke system seems confusing so I want to check i am doing the right thing.

I have used the following chokes:

Top barrel: 3 notches (I understand this equates to "modified" or "1/2 choke")

Bottom barrel: 4 notches (I understand this equates to "improved cylinder" or 1/4 choke)

Does this makes sense as a setup for ESP and is my understanding correct that this means the top barrel will have a tighter pattern and shoot further and that the bottom barrel will have a wider pattern and is better at a closer range?

I normally always shoot top barrel first (setting marked one dot), so not sure it makes sense to have different chokes as the first is not necessarily the further one, but I guess it gives you the option to switch in case the first is a rabbit and you then want to shoort bottom barrel first.

Hope that makes sense, if someone could confirm I have understood it correctly that would be much appreciated!
I had read on here that it is better to shoot bottom barrel first due to muzzle flip if shooting top first but might be wrong on this... I'm sure someone will correct me if so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back