Chokes - Clay Beginner

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazz

Having read a couple of articles regarding the use of chokes for clays, I think I have a very basic understanding of what they are used for, please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood their use.  To choke down (full) and then to progressively reduce the amount of choke increases the pattern width which in turn will offer an option on clay's depending on the shooting distance??  as I said, a very basic understanding.

I purchased my first gun yesterday which as some probably already know is a Miroku 7000 28" multi choke, and for my intended use should suit me down to the ground.  I do not intend to get all serious about shooting, but rather to be a casual (safe) contributor to the sport and enjoy a Sunday morning plinking a few clay's.  Getting all technical and playing mind games in terms of choke use can only lead to frustration so I am after an all round compromise rather than a precision set up for different presentations.  I believe that a 1/4 and a 1/2 is a good starting point for beginners like myself but the end question to this is:  How do I know what each choke is?  I was supplied with x4 chokes with my gun and they do not have appear to have anything other than Browning stamped on them, they are quite pitted.  

Each choke does have a different number of notches cut into the leading edge and they are "Invector" chokes, I just wondered how I would know what is in the gun.  The x2 spare that I have have 1 & 5 notches in them.  Sorry to ask what must seem like a basic question 😕20181003_081838.jpg

DIFF+CHOKES.jpg

Hi

Have a look at this    https://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/choke-tube-identification.html

There is a notch description part way down.

Each to there own but I would start by having something like  1/4 & 1/2 in and dont change them for a while, just get used to the gun and learn to shoot it at different presentations, as you obtain more skill then there is a whole world of different views regarding chokes and disciplines.

If you search this forum you will find load of info.  eg, if you lool on the Miroku site you should be able to download a PDF manual on you gun whoch should help.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Fit 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/2 and 3/8 ..... weld 'em in and worry about chokes when you are hitting 85 or 90 / 100 every time you shoot! :)

Appreciate the sentiment and the link.  I have to admit to asking questions rather than ploughing through pages of treacle to get a simply answer.  Hopefully I wont be too much of a pest 😉 
Choke threads are an ongoing joke as there is so many of them,many people won't answer because they have seen so many  :pleasantry:

The real answer is don't worry about the choke it will make little difference,worry about putting the Lead in the right place.

I shot the same competition targets at the weekend once with my a400 with a 1/4 choke and once with my Perazzi that patterns as tight as a gnats chuff virtually the same score and breaks were similar.

Put some in forget about them and move on to something important like technique 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that they are pitted ? They might just be mucked up with plastic and lead residue from the previous owners lack of cleaning properly . As you are just shooting socially, and beginning , there is no point in hampering yourself just stick with 1/4 -1/2 as all the others suggest . The only other comment I’ll make is “ don’t forget about them” ! Make a habit of taking them out , cleaning the threads and lightly lubricating them , it’s dead easy to seize a choke in a gun if you never take them out .  

Are you sure that they are pitted ? They might just be mucked up with plastic and lead residue from the previous owners lack of cleaning properly . As you are just shooting socially, and beginning , there is no point in hampering yourself just stick with 1/4 -1/2 as all the others suggest . The only other comment I’ll make is “ don’t forget about them” ! Make a habit of taking them out , cleaning the threads and lightly lubricating them , it’s dead easy to seize a choke in a gun if you never take them out .  
I didn't mean literally forget about them i meant do not think about them relative to your shooting performance,though i have just removed one from a semi that i coppaslipped when i put in 3 years ago  :angel:

Came out fine 😅

Thank you all so much for the input and very relevant comments.  I think my original question got a little lost in translation, probably my fault as I don't know what I'm talking about 😄.  I have absolutely no intention of getting hung up on chokes as at my current level of shooting I honestly don't think it will make a huge difference, all I really wanted to know was how do I tell what chokes are currently in my gun.  I think that has now been answered and having checked and providing I have interpreted the markings correctly, I have a 1/4 in the under barrel and a 1/2 in the top barrel which will do me just fine.  Thank you for your patience.  Gary

I didn't mean literally forget about them i meant do not think about them relative to your shooting performance,though i have just removed one from a semi that i coppaslipped when i put in 3 years ago  :angel:

Came out fine 😅
It’s not a pop at you . I sold a beautiful original wide bodied 682 , with stunning dark woodwork,  about 20 years ago . I asked the new owner what chokes he had in a few weeks back . He said “ whatever was in when I bought it , I’ve never had them out to have a look ...  and as a kid I remember getting the water pump pliers onto a Winchester 1400 auto , sturdy chokes they were , like pipe fittings 😢

Latest posts

Back