Chokes and Aircraft

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblaster

Sould you take your chokes out of the barrels whilst travelling in a jet? Could they be damaged by changing atmospheric pressure, or expansion and contraction of dissimilar metals? It was suggested in a video I watched, any opinions? I'm taking mine out whilst travelling abroad, just to be sure.

Well it's a nice tidy thing to do. Will a flight in a plane cause a problem ? I don't think so.

But it beats the normal choke question.

Balderdash. Most chokes are also steel, so no differential of expansion. And if chokes suffered, the wood would really be stuffed.

Atmospheric pressure doesn't appreciably affect the size of a solid, the choke and barrel will remain the same size whether at sea level or at several thousand feet.

The choke and barrel are also designed to withstand the increase in temperature and pressure associated with shooting shot down it, this is far greater than anything you would ever experience in the cargo hold of an airplane.

This is something that has always bothered me, but I play it safe and send the chokes ahead by air-mail !

Tinker bell said:
Where are you thinking of travelling to, what altitude and how long is the flight?
No where at the present time, more an academic question really, with people off to Dubai etc.

Amazingly on Phil Coley's Clayshooting.tv "Beretta guide to gun care part 2" the GMK gunsmith does recommend removing the chokes for the duration of flights. All I've ever seen is the panic that ensues when the X-ray operator thinks they've spotted two rounds of ammunition.

http://clayshooting.tv/

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinker bell said:
Ok.

Don't worry you little cotton socks then as we say 'oop North'

:wink:

It's been a blast though....thank you. :wink:
Just thought people should be aware, and make an informed choice, just in case!

Un.  Be.  Liev.  A. Ble!

Sometimes the applied ignorance of some people simply staggers me.   I'd say the choke thing is good for a solid "7" on the Stupid Scale.

Here's one I made up:

After a ride in the baggage hold a gun will need a thorough re-lubing as the lighter ends of the oil/grease molecules gas off at high altitude and leave the lube deficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Charlie

Sounds like total bollox to me.

I wouldn't worry about your chokes being damaged - if this is true the plane will fall apart before you get there anyway!

I've seen some crazy topics but this one really will take some beating.

Back