Choke - A Lesson Learned.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosso

Went to Southdown today.

Long right to left high fast crosser off the cherry picker / right to left looper on report. half way down lane on left.

Talking about crosser.

Must be 50 - 60 yds.

Hit 9 out 10. Scorer said 7.

One other shooter said I hit 7 another one said 9.

Imp cyl choke 7 1/2 shells.

Smashed 3 chipped 2.

I know I hit them all I saw the bits.

This scorer has a reputation for being unmoved.

The lesson I learned is.

Seeing that scorer and the 60yd crosser I should have left nothing to chance.

I should have put Full / Full and left nothing to chance and smoked them.

Open choke long fast clay, chippy, bad scorer is a defo no no.

IMO.

Travelled 120 miles round trip, only 10 stands, 4 stands significant breakdowns, 2 stands eye sight test, 1 bad scorer.

Things need to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you used full/full you probably come off with 3 yes THREE?   3/8 ths is ALL you will ever need! :fie:

Did the "scorer" not call after each pair (as is the norm In my experience) then you can make a challenge instantly so to speak, to leave it until after you've shot the full 5 pairs is not helping you on this one I feel

I came off with 3 lost any way.

Just felt pattern may have been a bit loose.

This scorer is a pain in the neck.

Scorer did not call targets as hit or lost.

I questioned two and thought he said pair dead, walked off stand said 9 he said no 7.

One other shooter said 7 another one said I hit 9.

These targets are hard enough with out this.

I'm thinking more choke better kills.

It's either killed or lost. Scorer scores what he/she sees. More or less choke makes no difference. It either broke a piece off or it didn't!

The scorer has uninterrupted view of the target (well, they should have), no muzzle blast, blinking when the gun recoils, wads or barrels flipping through the sight line (unlike the shooter or someone who stands behind them).

The scorer's mark on the card at the end of the day counts.

It's like the one that got away when fishing. We'd all be great fishermen if we caught every fish thought we had hooked?  :biggrin:

It's either killed or lost. Scorer scores what he/she sees. More or less choke makes no difference. It either broke a piece off or it didn't!

The scorer has uninterrupted view of the target (well, they should have), no muzzle blast, blinking when the gun recoils, wads or barrels flipping through the sight line (unlike the shooter or someone who stands behind them).

The scorer's mark on the card at the end of the day counts.

It's like the one that got away when fishing. We'd all be great fishermen if we caught every fish thought we had hooked?  :biggrin:
I agree.

I'm thinking smash the buggers to bits not chip them.

They surely cannot say lost then.

I know it's swings and roundabouts.

I'm looking to eliminate the yes I did no you didn't debate.

It will always happen I understand that.

Just thinking more choke better kills.

The scorer can only put down what he sees.

IMO.

Anywhere else, and I'd have been been agreeing.

However from experience,  I don't doubt whats been reported.

I did a 100 bird open there ....  

no no birds....   yet on the last stand, i had to drop 2 birds, as i'd run out of cartridges!

i only took 4 boxes,   so somewhere they miscounted

:santa:

i had to drop 2 birds, as i'd run out of cartridges!

i only took 4 boxes,

:santa:
Oh Santa! Schoolboy error!

Always account for the possibility of no birds/misfires etc.

100 bird comp. take at least 5 boxes of cartridges.

You have much to learn Grasshopper!

P.S. Pink is definitely your colour!!

I shot Southdown yesterday,and I know the target you mean. It was probably more like 40yds,but being an edge on midi made it look a lot further than it was. If you looked at the fence in front of you,the midi was pretty much above that at your kill point (any later you'd have been shooting it on its descent) I came off there with 8/10 dropping two of the midis - shot them with half choke...2 missed,2 split in half as I was tending to go up through the line too much and only catching it with the bottom of the pattern. Dropped my line a foot or so and centred the next one (destroying it) I'd imagine you done the same as me and just got your line a little wrong.

A good course I thought,a lot of use of midis and few edgy birds,but I'd rather shoot a course like that than a gimme course with 12stands. That being said,Southdown needs to take a serious look at what they're doing. Yes they're making improvements around the ground and the targets are getting better,but you can't continually have no pool shoot,breakdowns,cut the stands down,half the advertised Sportrap from 100 to 50reg and expect the shooters to want to keep coming back! Especially as they're trying to run 2 competitions every week! People don't want to shoot the same ground week in week out,so entries are going to be low! Do it once a month and do it right! Less wages,more entries,more return customers,less bad press.

It was a shame that there were only 10 stands but I understood that they were struggling to get trappers with some of theirs having made the trip to the Challenge competition elsewhere in the country. Still enjoyed the shoot but had a mediocre score to say the least. Haven't been to Southdown for a couple of months now, but nevertheless felt that this was not up there with their usual standard of challenging targets. Also had a load of no birds at the battue stand at the end of the lane, it cost my mate the last 2 targets of what would have been a straighted stand. However scorers were fair and I personally didn't have any problems. I expect that next time will see things back to normal.

MM

Wayne did you give the midi much lead? I tried everything and couldn't hit the bloody thing.

You can still chip clays with full chokes.....bung a couple of 3/8's or 1/2 chokes in and leave it at that.

I have every choke. The open ones seem to break anything.

It was just a thought that went through my head.

Imagine hitting them all then ( I missed 1 battue) then getting scored 7.

It's a very hard target.

Next time same scorer similar clay I will tighten up then at least if I miss it will be down to me.

Not the scorer. You know he is always arguing with someone.

I gave that target hardly any lead may be 2ft and under a bit.

I don't understand what's going on at Southdown were only going to do the big ones in future.

The battue that was a standard? :) Maybe at 2ft of lead you were catching it with the back edge of the pattern? 1/4 choke would certainly have been enough to kill that target well. Although I feel your pain on being marked wrong!

Latest posts

Back