Cheddite smart strike 28gm Plastic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjb

This is by far the best shell I've put through the k80 in a long time. At 184 per 1k good value too??

anyone else tried em?

hits hard and minimal recoil. 

I have just used my last box last Sunday brilliant cartridge does what it says on the box strikes hard.

Smart strike is replacing Drago line - T3 cartridge with 4% antimony. Comes in 24 (trap 7 1/2, skeet 9 1/2) and 28g (7 1/2 and 8 1/2) loads (continental size).

I used to think it sounded good, but I don't see it transforming patterns. In fact there are some patterns I don't rate with 5% versus 2 or 3%. Obviously wad and powder make a big difference too.
I don't get too involved on the pattern size because you have an element of control with chokes but personally getting more and more convinced that the better shells are invariably due to the higher quality shot. It's a shame there is no reliable means of testing shot quality and hardness because I reckon it would be interesting in terms of break quality at distance. 

I don't get too involved on the pattern size because you have an element of control with chokes but personally getting more and more convinced that the better shells are invariably due to the higher quality shot. It's a shame there is no reliable means of testing shot quality and hardness because I reckon it would be interesting in terms of break quality at distance. 
I'm not worried about pattern size so much, more the quality. As you know, I hate a dense core and sparse random outer area, which even some 5% antimony shells produce (through my gun). 

Old Stirzacker was up at Auchterhouse, at the Scottish sporting championship two years ago, bragging about how Cheddite Mach 2 were a direct copy of Clever Mirage Grand Italia...all of the Clever Mirage clay cartridges imported to the UK have had 'cut wads' for years, even the Supertargets. Tom Young from North Ayrshire shooting ground/Continental shooting supplies, did a blind test years ago, he ordered 100k of T2's, 50k with standard wads and 50k with cut wads...the guys who got the cut wads contacted him to say the breaks were notably better with the cut wads, so now he pays the extra to have ALL the clay shells he imports to have cut wads. as far as I know, it's only the Bol D'or that have 'cut wads' in the rest of Europe, in the Clever range)   

Cheddite are just copying Clever Mirage again with the Smart Strike...copy the best, you won't go far wrong!!!?

Just out of interest James, what do cut wads do differently ? I have no substantive side by side experience but willing to learn so long as it's evidence as opposed to strongly held supposition. 

I know for instance that many a wad collected from the ground will contain unopened or partially opened wads but to my knowledge nobody has ever done a paper pattern test or target break comparison test that provides clues to any problems. If you watch high speed footage of shot gun shells the wad and shot begin to separate very soon after leaving the barrel so I personally can't see why one would perform better than the other. 

Back