Change of Address - Asked to send Certificate in.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEM62

Just over a year ago I moved from Surrey to Hampshire.  At the time I notified Surrey Constabulary as I was obliged to and also notified Hampshire as a matter of prudence.  

Today I was contacted by Hampshire FAO - the first contact that I have had with them.  He took some details about my new house, the location of my gun cabinet and the other people living in the house.  All good up to that point.  He then requested that I photocopy my current certificate, send in the original and that, once received, they will issue a new certificate with my updated address on it.  I was informed that it was legal for me to retain my guns with a photocopy of the original certificate until such time as the updated certificate was received. 

Is this correct or should I have asked for a Section 7 temporary permit to be issued?  

Get them to put that request in an e mail. Not sure about the temp permit. 

This is normal practice and there's no requirement for a temporary permit providing you're within date. Not having your certificate in your possession doesn't diminish your entitlement to possess your guns. They're all recorded on the NFLMS anyway. Within the next few years paper certificates will go and it'll all be done electronically so this scenario won't occur.

The only issue you may have is purchasing cartridges. If, like me, you don't produce your certificate when pick them up it won't be an issue but if you do, make sure you buy plenty in advance.

I went through the same process a few months ago. My police force issued me a new shotgun and firearm certificate within 24 hours so you should't have to wait too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a variation done to my FAC ticket and just to make sure things were all in place with my RFD, I popped in before I sent off the original ticket. They were happy to supply ammo on the copy as they were aware of the changes and had sight of the original. I was also advised if the police stopped me for any reason and wished to see my ticket, just show the copy and they will do a phone check with firearms license dept to confirm.

In fact the firearms license dept advised me to carry a copy out in the field as I was not happy to go rough shooting with an original in case it was lost and again, they said a copy is fine.

Hope that helps

Phil

Latest posts

Back