Cert Renewal and GP

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its in my ermine lined gloved hands :)

Next renewal 2023   -

Apparantly it was done last week,  she wanted to drop it back by hand  :)

because I declared that I had lung cancer (and still have) the feo demanded I get my doctor to answer their questions and  my doctors does not want to know gun licensing or ownership. my only choice was to supply a copy of all my medical records for them (imagine how that feels) cost £50 for the copies ,followed by several interviews and visits (one officer said he had come to remove but changed his mind)

much better to pay the doctors for the report stop whinging you don't know how lucky you are.

doctors charge for all reports driving licence mortgage application etc etc

On the vein of doctors and certs.

My SGC expires 2nd November. I got the letter from the Police reminding me to apply in good time.. that means that I need to get everything to them around 2nd September.
I took the requisite form to my GP for them to fill out, last week. They told me that my records have been sent off for digitisation and they have no idea when they will be available, and thus no idea when they can fill in my GP form.

I spoke to the Police and they said that if I don't get the form to them with the rest of my application, then my certificate will lapse and I will have to apply for a grant of a new SGC. they fon't care that it isn't my fault and that I am doing all I can do to sort it.

Now this really is worst case, the GP may be able to do the deed in time, but if they don't, then I won't be getting a renewal.

This will impact my livelihood as I am a shotgun instructor.

Any thoughts from folks?

My drs report cost £70 and I took 3 weeks to get back. All relevant information was sent to my feo separately to the drs report this was done on the instructions of the feo. I got 2 emails and a letter one saying they’d recieved my renewal however it would not be processed until the drs report which was sent and received the 3 weeks later. I then recieved an extension letter informing me that it was likely my cert would expire before it would be processed. Still waiting however this letter with my old cert is good enough to purchase cartridges and shoot til my new certificate is issued, which hopefully won’t be much longer. I know it seems a sting in the tail £70 for drs £50 for police but when you consider it’s a privilege to be trusted to own and use our guns safely and responsibly and after the debacle of Plymouth and other total nutcases getting hold of firearms to me it’s a small price to pay for doing the sport I love doing. Just my two pennath 😊

I've got my FEO visit on Monday, which is good,

However ive just a call from my GP's surgery stating they have been approached regarding a licence request

There stance is they wont reply to the information request, as they dont get paid. If i want one i will have to pay

Should i bring this up with the FEO on monday, or just ignore it ?

My GPS surgery is renowned for charging for anything they can .
I feel your pain - GP's charge for whatever they can get away with, despite being paid VERY well and doing less and less work since the pandemic. That being said, I agree with others here on the forum - bite the bullet, pay the fee, get your certificate sorted. It's the path of least resistance.

The Access to Medical Records Act means that your records (not the report) should be supplied within 21 days. If you use a third party report provider they simply request your records under the Act and then provide the report. I would remind the surgery admin of their obligations viz-a-viz the Act and if they push back make a formal application. In the meantime lets hope nobody else needs your records (A&E etc).

The Access to Medical Records Act means that your records (not the report) should be supplied within 21 days. If you use a third party report provider they simply request your records under the Act and then provide the report. I would remind the surgery admin of their obligations viz-a-viz the Act and if they push back make a formal application. In the meantime lets hope nobody else needs your records (A&E etc).
could you post a link to the medical records act that states that, thank you.
If you are referring to the GDPR act then it states 21days unless extenuating circumstances, as it also states re no fee.

Thanks FESkent - Stand corrected - the process & charges are now all part of the DPA. A fee can be charged if the extent of documentation warrants it but the IOC has stated that medical records should not fall into that catagory. Principals should all be the same - politely remind them they have 21 days.

Freddypip, thanks for that. Gave me confidence to get back on the case with the GP's admin staff. To their credit though they have been active on my behalf, record returns are imminent, should be within a week, then they can get on and do the report for me.

So looks like my worst fears were unfounded, but thanks for your your input FreddyP.

update..

My medical records got back from being digitised, and the GP did the requisite form filling within a few days.
I took my renewal paperwork in to Warks Police HQ myself, and handed it to a member of the licensing team around 10.30 on Thursday 24th August. We went through the submission to ensure all was present and correct.
I got home about 3pm that day to find my referee had messaged me to say the the police had contacted him re the renewal.
On Saturday my new certificate arrived in the post.. the FLU must have posted it on Friday... so I reckon that is around 30 hours for my SGC renewal, by Warwickshire Police. Not sure if I am a special case.. no reason I should be. Absolutely delighted with Warks police and will be thanking them by phone on Tuesday.

This in sharp contrast to neighbouring counties one of which, I'm told, take seven months for a renewal.

I had my renewal reminder earlier this year,

My GP donsent do Shotgun renewals so i had to go 3rd party, eventually they got the records from my GP,

(ironically who wanted me to collect and send the records at my cost (jog on!)) They were processed in under a week, and sent to the licencing

division, who by return sent a letter and an extension to my current ticket, citing backlogs etc)

Anyway two weeks later i get a call from my FEO for a visit, all good, just the referee to do ,

Should be a straightforward renewal - no issues evident - but unknown as to when the cert will arrive,

turns out Sussex & Surrey licensing have now merged, so big delays.

Referee was interviewed that afternoon,

Cert arrived 2 weeks ago :)

A friend in Lancashire handed his GP's pro-forma in at the surgery and got it back 4 days later for a charge of £20. Sent everything off to the police and has been told that they will be in touch soon.

I'm in Kent and mine cost £80. there was no other option. i just complied.

I can access my medical records from he NHS App---it goes right back to when I had my tonsils out in 1958 !!!. Can I print this out and send it off with my renewal or will the Metropolitan Police insist that my doctor send it out to them?

Latest posts

Back