Caterham 100 ESP 20/05/12

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyM

With Matt kindly driving from his to Caterham, Gav, CleverSC3 and I met at his for the drive over to Caterham. Pretty light traffic and made it in good time for a tea, roll and booked on with time to spare and no major queueing. Weather was cool and overcast but dry. Waited for about 10 minutes at stand 2 before the off.

I thought it was an ok shoot but 3 stands wrecked it for me, with two 1s and a 3.

Stand 9 I think was the distant rabbit which I never hit, probably too far behind. 1 scored.

Can't remember the other stand numbers but the incoming dropper followed by the teal was rubbish for me. 1 scored.

I didn't think there was anything really daft target-wise but I came away with a disappointing 62. Another 10 should have been there for me by not dropping targets on the easier stands.

Still, got me out of the house and beats sitting at home.

Also briefly met Hamster as he just arrived as we were about to go. He should do well, but Big George was also in attendance

Yep - nothing daft out there, although stiffer than last time we visited.

Car Park stand was a looper inbound from the valley below with a right handed g/a bird.... tricky. Straighted a coupe of stands, but wrecked my card with a few other stands where I just didn't get it together today. Finished on 64.

REsults are up here : http://www.caterhamclays.co.uk/2.html

GD excels again! That's crazy. Chris Childrhouse on 87 tells a truer picture..

A bit stiff today on those three stands. I failed on all three, so shot below my average. Annoyed as feel I shouldn't have fallen down at EVERY opportunity..

CSC3

10 more than I shot in C to win the class says it all. It was there for the taking! Big George 10 ahead of anyone else.

Good to see you guys before you left :) but gutted I couldn't shoot with you all. I shot 82 which was more or less a relief because I personally felt the targets on 2 stands were DAFT. You just can't go by George's score I'm afraid, taking his score aside not ONE person got to 90 :( , that is plain silly in my view and shows this shoot likes to beat people up by distance. Childerhouse 87 and Rouse on 85, it's supposed to be a registered shoot not exhibition.

It's a shame as there were plenty of excellent, technical stands that would easily have you rob yourself from targets, there is no need to mug you by silly distances. I shot 7 on the rabbit stand and felt it more than fair in comparison to the unstraightable teal or the valley stand where I watched 7 people shoot with only 4 or 5 single pellet hits on the looper :???: .

The other disappointment in my opinion was the entry fee of £37 :angry: , what the hell is that all about? I mean 3 stands featured a single trap for goodness sake, the car park is a muddy field, no cabin, you pee into a tilted cattle trough with chipboard for walls and the sky your roof :.: . I wonder what they'd charge if they had a proper clay ground, £85 quid for 50 birds no doubt.

Good shooting Hamster, 7 on the rabbit stand is good going I think. I just couldn't find it and the only hit one of the easier crossers, which was just unforgiveable, £37 seems par for the course for competition but I know what you mean. No investment in facilities at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
We said exactly that on the way round though - no facilities...

Hamster - I'm with you, too many stands with following targets (following driven, following g/aways) - disappointing for the money, still didn't help my score.

There's a few shoots out that way, muddy car parks, nowhere to sit, catering van if you're lucky. So I've voted with my feet and won't shoot there any more. For that sort of entry price, I want a place to shelter out of the elements, with some basic catering and toilet facilities at a minimum. A full english for a fiver would be a bonus :)

In reality, us 'every Sunday' shooters look around and see what is on. Caterham was the best choice today, but it would have lost out if clashing with Weston etc..

CSC3

We said exactly that on the way round though - no facilities...

Hamster - I'm with you, too many stands with following targets (following driven, following g/aways) - disappointing for the money, still didn't help my score.
The overhead from behind stand was a single trap too :wink: , also stand 11 with the pair looming in from left to right could be off the same trap. Places like Southdown charge that kind of money but they put a minimum of 12 stands with no repeat birds.

Tobi-wan, unfortunately we've no real choice and they know it.

taking in to the fact that i shot like a complete muppet,[ every target seemed tiny as opposed to dustbin lids] i have to agree with others here, i have shot at much better non registered grounds with better facilities, with testing targets and lower entrance fees

in my inexperienced opinion they shouldnt have one trap stands

personaly i liked the stand in the car park although i didnt hit many, would i go back , yes because i struggle there and i wont get better shooting easier targets

next comp southdown, confidence levels rock bottom :frown:

but great shooting with you guys, oh and Clever the next round of bacon and tea on me :wink:

Caterham results are up on CPSA site. Contrary to the 97 on Caterhams site, GD is shown as hitting 93; which is exactly what I predicted he would..

Caterham results are up on CPSA site. Contrary to the 97 on Caterhams site, GD is shown as hitting 93; which is exactly what I predicted he would..
That is more likely, must admit the 97 just didn't seem doable even for George Digweed. He shot Greenfields first and did a 94 there :cool: . There are two AA shots on there with 60 and 66 :???: . Still say you can't just please yourself when it comes to setting targets, there has to be a semblance of formulae or reason.

If a stand is beyond straighting by a good AA it's a pointless exercise.

Braidwood had a stand three weeks ago with a 55yrd fast l-r edge on crosser on top of a bank followed by a fast quartering l-r uphill following the bank that hit the bank and broke before the top. They seemed so proud that no one had done better than a 7 on that stand........I missed the uphill with my first three untill I got the pace of it and shot it the last twice, I only shot the crosser with my last try, kept trying a bit farther in front each time, recon I was 12-14 feet in front of it to take the back edge off!!! It actualy felt good to kill a pair on that stand!!!

Latest posts

Back