Cartridge peformance poll?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Vic & Ham on the Olympics at similar prices but never tried Velocity. Also shot loads of Saga 28gm, 7½ in fibre and found them fast, clean and no FTFs. I've been paying about 160 but they will be going up....

Saw Ian coleys are selling a special, Basically an Olympic but with Ian Coley branding £168 per thou, funny enough same price as their Olympics :huh: As I said in the shop this morning, why not do them for £160? people will buy them instead of Olympics and you get the free advertising at other grounds. was looked at like I had come from mars :huh:

I think that at the present time Clever cartridges take some beating, followed ( Equalled?) by RC and then Fiocchi.

BUT Fiocchi are possibly best value for money.

Eley seem to have lost their way, in my opinion their best cartridge is Olympics & Blues and the Firsts are good for cheap brand. Vips & Superbs are too dear for the increased? performance, and don't seem to be better than Olympics, punchier yes.

I think that at the present time Clever cartridges take some beating, followed ( Equalled?) by RC and then Fiocchi.

BUT Fiocchi are possibly best value for money.

Eley seem to have lost their way, in my opinion their best cartridge is Olympics & Blues and the Firsts are good for cheap brand. Vips & Superbs are too dear for the increased? performance, and don't seem to be better than Olympics, punchier yes.
Don,t go telling everyone olimpics are as good as superbs, Eley will put the prices up and i use them :( currently pay £160,thhink superbs are about £189 ish

Kelbrook Shooting Lodge are selling Oylmpics for £150 a thousand.

Ive just been trying the fiocch fblu they seem to perform well out of my gun which is a blaser f3 i shoot 3/4 and 3/4 and you get some good balls of dust with them on the closer birds and they seem to get there quick on the longer range targets. They feel little bit punchier than kents or rio 20s and they burn very clean, my mate got them for me and i paid £174 a thousand and im sticking with them. :)

I shot 100 Golden Trap on Sunday, nice to shoot, great breaks (the ones I hit) but too expensive!!!

Hate D&J's!!! Shot 150 fibre wads about 7 months ago, dirty, heavy on recoil and left me with a splitting head fro the next 24 hours!!!

Bought 250 RC 4 excellence 24g on Wednesday, they were the ONLY clay shells left in the shop, at 68 for 250 I can see why they didn't sell out.

Finally managed to shoot the new FBlack in shot size 8 (clearly marked as 8.5 Italian on the boxes) today and was delighted with the overall performance.

First impression inside the boxes they look a tad cheap but they chamber and eject a treat with nice high steel. They absolutely destroyed a 50 yard looper and the breaks are very very good. On one stand with a quartering 25 yard rabbit and longish fast crosser they just minced everything, you grow to like them a lot.

I had a nice 75 x 80 on some decent practice birds as I couldn't find a comp within 60 miles.

Also shot an 8 on a very tough to straight pool stand and followed it with a rather heterosexual 9 using Superb 7.5's for the report bird. :lol: The recoil is thoroughly forgiving and I would struggle to blind differentiate them from the Eley Superbs. Their website claims 380 MPS or 1247 FPS which is obviously observed not muzzle velocity, and lists them as 5% antimony. I could believe both judging by the breaks and how quickly they're onto even distant birds.

I'm guessing they must be 1400+ FPS MV and the only surprise is the average recoil, a hairs breadth below Superbs maybe! The not so good bit is my supplier reckons on £182 per thou which is less than a tenner behind Superbs :mellow: , but they do shoot better than Top 1's.

The good bit compared to Eley is that both the outer and individual boxes are very easy to open. Don't get me wrong, I love paper cuts and bloody finger nails when getting prepared to shoot but I can't help feeling Eley could save us all a tenner per thou if they stopped using military grade hot glue to seal their slabs. As for the additional cello tape on each individual box :yell: , about as useful as tits on a maggot :lol: , what the hell is that all about?

A very high thumbs up for these :cool: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Eley should try sellotaping the bottom too, 2 boxes pulled out of my bag this morning, top taped nicely and the bloody bottom fell open :angry: carts all over the floor and the back of the van :angry: :angry:

Eley should try sellotaping the bottom too, 2 boxes pulled out of my bag this morning, top taped nicely and the bloody bottom fell open carts all over the floor and the back of the van
Yes I had that on two boxes of superbs yesterday!!

Bl**dy annoying.

I was about to say 'I'll open my Olympics from the bottom then.' until I checked them and found that the bottoms were sellotaped as well.

The benefits of being a cheap skate!

I open my slabs with a box cutter like they use supermarkets and then slit the sellotape before I put them in my bag.

Vic.

Should go back to the Rottweil idea of the late 80's just sell a welly boot box full of 250, less packaging, just grab a few handfuls and go :D

I was about to say 'I'll open my Olympics from the bottom then.' until I checked them and found that the bottoms were sellotaped as well.

I open my slabs with a box cutter like they use supermarkets and then slit the sellotape before I put them in my bag.

Vic.
I just double checked my Superbs and they are definitely taped top and bottom, very annoying and unnecessary, I do the same as you Vic by slitting the tapes. It just seems so much more sensible not to over-engineer things in the first place?!

Just had a new batch of VIPs. Slab end opening has gone just "military grade hot glue" remaining to stop you getting in. Cartons are spot gummed so easy entry. Must get one of these box cutters that don't take out the cartons as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back