Caravan (Airstream) or Motorhome for EU Trap Ground Touring

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

This is a question really for those who travel to europe to shoot, and do so by either caravan or motorhome.

After hiring a luxury Carthago motorhome for a festival weekend, I've been thinking about maybe buying one so that we can go and shoot at some of the shooting grounds around Europe.

However after doing some research, those Carthagos seem to depreciate quite a bit, but an Airstream caravan (www.airstreamandco.com) has even more room and because they have a classic design they don't depreciate that much. Both have benefits and drawbacks so I'm a bit stuck with choice really. I'm hoping some advice may help me to decide. I'm definitely not interested in getting one of those UK made plastic caravans though, because the Airstreams are much more stable and are better built. 

If there are any travelling shooters out there who use a motorhome or caravan for shooting breaks, i'd appreciate your advice on anything I may not have considered E.g any probs or issues in Europe with ferry crossings, sites, crime, toll lane widths etc

Thanks

I have a very nice American RV for sale.
Push out side
Sofas Captians chairs
Fixed double sleeps six
Aircon
Built in genny
Full size fridge freezer
Amazing spec.

What you need is a panel van conversion, caravans are great but for European travel not as easy. Coach built ok if under 6m otherwise ferry costs escalate. Motor homes will not depreciate that much if you keep them for at least 5 years.

Wow Jem, I'm not usually a fan of the American RV, but that one's really nice. What are you hoping to sell it for?

Ps- air stream is a very niche market i would think re sale would be a somewhat limited market.

Also if you are looking at this purely financially then neither will be cheaper than a flight and a hotel. Motor homes and caravans are a life style thing, a hobby and unless you use them very very regularity you will never make it pay.

Hope that helps.

For the record i have had many caravans and motor home and boats, now that is another story if you want to know about expensive interests by a boat or as we like to refer to it bring out another thousand.

Thanks IPS, points noted but it's definitely a lifestyle thing. One of the driving factors is that we could shoot at some of the two day shoots and get some mid week practice in, and take the dogs with us.  

Personally I fancy the idea a motor home but I need to try one for a few months first...what about it Ian?

Jay

Depending on how often you plan yo use it have you thought about renting? Probably a darn sight cheaper than buying.

DT

Ok so dogs as well in that case a panel van may not have the space from my experience a sub 6m coach built motor home is what you need preferably of French German or Italian origin and maybe with a garage as that will give plenty of storage for guns and dog stuff. I don't think a caravan of any sort will be suitable not for European travel.

Personally I fancy the idea a motor home but I need to try one for a few months first...what about it Ian?

Jay

Depending on how often you plan yo use it have you thought about renting? Probably a darn sight cheaper than buying.

DT
Greg

We have gone back to a caravan for reasons i won't bore you with.

Jay

you will be looking at 40k minimum for a coach built motor home new prob 30k for anything remotely decent used. You need to look at many and remember its not the size but the layout that matters but stay sub 6m as that is the cut off for ferry charges over that you will be hit.

Jay

DT
Hi DT

Well I did rent one for a 3 day weekend in August and I think it cost about £650. I do plan on using it quite a bit so I don't really fancy paying out that much every time, and rentals never allow pets. Our dogs are cleaner than me ! .

When I was motor racing I went through a series of motor homes. They got bigger and bigger. I started with small Brit van conversions and ended with a 37" Winnebago.

IMO you are nuts to buy any European van conversion. Apart from being embarrassing to be seen in, :) the American stuff just works better. They know what they are doing. Properly cold fridges, decent air con, proper showers, decent generator and so it goes on. I would buy a good used American from one of the big dealers.

This sub 6m thing seems quite key and is probably the reason why a lot of the brochures I've been reading have sub 6m "compact lightweight" motorhomes.

Think the compact motorhome seems to be the way forward here for me. 

No no no, hideous mpg too long for getting anywhere and just plain too American.

When I was motor racing I went through a series of motor homes. They got bigger and bigger. I started with small Brit van conversions and ended with a 37" Winnebago.

IMO you are nuts to buy any European van conversion. Apart from being embarrassing to be seen in, :) the American stuff just works better. They know what they are doing. Properly cold fridges, decent air con, proper showers, decent generator and so it goes on. I would buy a good used American from one of the big dealers.
Thanks SC3, what's the maintenance of american motorhomes like? Are they reliable? 

This sub 6m thing seems quite key and is probably the reason why a lot of the brochures I've been reading have sub 6m "compact lightweight" motorhomes.

Think the compact motorhome seems to be the way forward here for me.
spot on jay trust me its the layout not the size. You need 5.99 coach built. Look at hobby and chausson models or similar European stuff much better than English stuff but usually you only get a mini oven / grill instead of full oven but that's the compromise.

spot on jay trust me its the layout not the size. You need 5.99 coach built. Look at hobby and chausson models or similar European stuff much better than English stuff but usually you only get a mini oven / grill instead of full oven but that's the compromise.
I really like the German coachbuilt manufacturer Carthago because they have a very broad and smart well spec'd range and they only make motorhomes as opposed to other motorhome manufacturers seem to be primarily caravan builders. That I think must be a good thing.

Back