Caesar Guerini.....me too...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Well after several years shooting Berettas, some considerable debate not to mention a couple of Guerini days I've picked up a new Invictus Impact this week.

I know it's the honeymoon etc but it's a beauty, the quality, wood, wood to metal fit etc are just superb and I can't wait to give it a whirl in Sunday. 

I also feel I must say a big thank you to Mike Mansfield at Anglo Italian for some great personal service. The gun is by far the most adjustable I've ever owned and to be honest I was a little uncertain about how to set it up correctly so I called Anglo who invited me over to their premises in Solihull without hesitation to help guide me through the process.

I spent well over an hour with Mike today and he couldn't have been more helpful....I can't see any of the other major brands offering a similar service unless you spend serious money. 

Full credit where credits due, if the gun shoots as well as the aftercare and support network I'll be very happy indeed. 

Few pics attached. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies and good wishes, folks...much appreciated. 

Well, just got back from Oakedge where the new gun returned a very respectable 80/100. Not much in the way of rangey targets today (typical of Oakedge) but lots of quick, edge on stuff which can catch me out. 

It's difficult to articulate exactly how the gun felt, other than to say it felt much easier to drive than what I've been used to before. I've always shot standard rib sporters, so I don't know if it is the high rib and more head up shooting position or the general balance, or a combination of the two but getting onto the target seemed so much less of a struggle somehow?

The other really notable thing was the difference in felt recoil....I'm using my current favourite shell - Clever T2's which are quite soft anyway but the recoil was noticeably softer. I had half expected the gun to rise a bit more under recoil with the 'head up' stance, but it really was very pleasant. 

Choke wise the 8 supplied Maxis Chokes seem really good, I/C and L/M all round today and some super balls of smoke on the closer stuff.

Gave the gun a thorough clean when I got home and the bores have come up like mirrors. I know it's the honeymoon period etc, but I'm thrilled with all aspects of the gun so far and I'm looking forward to putting a few thousand shells through it over the winter to get properly into it for next year.

CG really do seem to have hit a sweet spot in terms of the market. A lot of gun for your money. Good wood, excellent engineering and nice handling all for a fraction of the premium brands. Glad I stumbled into the fold!

That looks really nice! Lovely interest in the wood.

For a complete newbie to the sport....

why would one choose a raised rib? Are there particular issues with fit that are helped by it?

Did a back to back test with my MK38 and my son's Invictus at the weekend and there was a noticeable drop in recoil with the Invictus. Not too sure if due to the weight or barrel design design but which ever it still feels lighter than the Miroku in use!

Did a back to back test with my MK38 and my son's Invictus at the weekend and there was a noticeable drop in recoil with the Invictus. Not too sure if due to the weight or barrel design design but which ever it still feels lighter than the Miroku in use!
I found the same ccomparing my CG Challenger to my previous Browning 525. Huge difference in felt recoil. The two guns weigh pretty much the same, so I guess its the longer forcing cones and backbored barrels? Many people comment on how light my gun seems, but at 8lb it's usually on par with theirs. The CG is just so well balanced I guess. Can't see me changing manufacturers anytime soon. 

why would one choose a raised rib? Are there particular issues with fit that are helped by it?
You're going to need an expert to answer that question. I'd bingle it if I were you ?

(For clarity l'm kidding) 

There can be many reasons to use a high rib/high comb set up, but it's up to the individual of course. I got mine due to neck problems, such a set up promotes a more head up style of shooting, this seems to put less strain on my neck muscles. You also get a huge amount of peripheral vision, so it seems as though the target is visible earlier. These set ups are commonly used by DT shooters, but I use mine for OT, seems to work well enough, but it will never make me a world champion though!  :D  

When I have had a little go with one years ago, I was distracted by the view. Not keen at all, but I should try one again sometime. I find these days that I get a slightly stiff neck after shooting! Must be age.. I shot behind a bloke with one at the Sportasc and it did make him seem particularly at ease and effortless. I think it's clear that it isn't just "better" but something else to add in to all the options that are out there.

When I have had a little go with one years ago, I was distracted by the view. Not keen at all, but I should try one again sometime. I find these days that I get a slightly stiff neck after shooting! Must be age.. I shot behind a bloke with one at the Sportasc and it did make him seem particularly at ease and effortless. I think it's clear that it isn't just "better" but something else to add in to all the options that are out there.
Will, in some ways it was a revelation to me, even though I'm still getting used to it. I was getting neck pain and gun headache, I shot with my neck stretched out and my head right down for well over 25 years. I was warned that such a style could end up giving me neck problems, but being young at the time I shrugged my shoulders and took zero notice! So now I'm in my sixties and my neck suffers. OK some people get away with that style of shooting forever, unfortunately I'm not one of them!  

Will, in some ways it was a revelation to me, even though I'm still getting used to it. I was getting neck pain and gun headache, I shot with my neck stretched out and my head right down for well over 25 years. I was warned that such a style could end up giving me neck problems, but being young at the time I shrugged my shoulders and took zero notice! So now I'm in my sixties and my neck suffers. OK some people get away with that style of shooting forever, unfortunately I'm not one of them!  
So.. High rib gun, or just a butt pad set low (perhaps Jones adjuster) to raise the whole gun? Can of worms? I like this idea, as changing gun is not a happy experience for me I found. ?

So.. High rib gun, or just a butt pad set low (perhaps Jones adjuster) to raise the whole gun? Can of worms?
MX 2005, high adjustable rib, high adjustable monte carlo stock. Can of worms Will? You bet it is!!!

2005 pic 1.jpg

Back