Buying a 2nd hand DT10

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTC3

I was foolish enough to have a go at OT a couple of weeks back and rather enjoyed myself...

It was suggested that if I wanted to pursue this newfound interest, I should consider getting myself a trap gun, and DT10s came into the discussion.  I tried one by chance the other week and found it very comfortable, probably enhanced by smoking the first few clays I shot at with it.

I have some free time tomorrow and thought I'd go have a look at some pre-loved DT10s with an eye to working out budgets, and whether, on reflection, I like them enough to take the plunge.  From what I can see online, the very first models had some issues which were fixed on the latter ones, but are there any things that are specific to these guns I should look out for to separate a good one from a less good one?

Thanks!

Richard

I bought one (for sporting) back in April.  It's an earlier model.  I'm getting on well with it and had no problems at all until a hiccup last Sunday.  Was shooting a flush when I couldn't get the gun to close, finally closed it and then on firing the second barrel it opened by itself.  Not sure if it was as a result of me rushing (don't think it was), the gun being very hot or if the locking mechanism is on it's way out.

Mine is an older model with the lower case lettering on the action.  Go for one with BERETTA in caps on the action for a newer one.  These reputedly have fewer problems.  Early ones could double discharge but not all do (mine hasn't in the 3000-4000 cartridges I've put through it).

I've also read about cracked stocks and fore-ends in all of them, so probably worth checking for that too.

As Bebo says, pick a full caps one and make sure it's tidy and underused, there are enough out there to be a bit fussy. At around £2k-£2.5k I personally think they're the finest second hand gun out there. 

I believe a common trick with all guns is to take the forend off and try and jiggle the barrels. The barrels should be tight and solid with the action with the forend off. If there's any movement I believe it's worn. Could be an old wives tale but that's what someone told me.

as with all guns top lever central means lots of use but nothing that fifty quid to tighten won't fix so good bargaining tool.

Thank you all for the replies, they're very much appreciated.

I know it's an older model, but to date the majority of people I have spoken to suggest the '10 is a better used buy than the '11, though i might look into them too, while I'm at it.  The same people also all said to steer clear of the lower case models, so duly noted.

Well, I'll go for a look-seelook-see and see where I end up.

Richard

I bought 1 in Feb this year & love it - a 32" Trap 3/4 & Full with gorgeous timber. I was looking for an old trap gun for pigeon shooting & picked it up after admiring the wood, the rest is history.............

The AG******* serial numbers are the last ones made ;)  

Definitely hold out for one with capital letters.  I would have done, but I specifically wanted 28" barrels and they are few and far between, so I had to go for what was available.

Or better still just go out and buy yourself a proper OT  gun... Perazzi MX8 you know it makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or better still just go out and buy yourself a proper OT  gun... Perazzi MX8 you know it makes sense.
If I ever feel up to a P-gun, I'd want a new, made for me one, rather than trying to find one that fits. I don't have that kind of money at the moment, so a used something else it is for now!

If I ever feel up to a P-gun, I'd want a new, made for me one, rather than trying to find one that fits. I don't have that kind of money at the moment, so a used something else it is for now!
To be honest if you do it right there is absolutely nothing wrong with a GOOD second hand Perazzi... or any other gun for that matter. With the money you can save over buying new you could get a custom stock made with matching fore end, remember the gun is only going to be new for a weekend or two. Buy a new Perazzi they way you suggest you are not going to see much change from £14k when you take travel and accom into the equation... you can buy a excellent used gun for less than £6k and then have a stock made in the UK. To suggest that you have to travel half way across Europe to have a stock made is a slap in the face to the many excellent stockers right at home in the UK.

excellent post john

as long as action is good triggers good barrel good then the main thing is a stock that fits and as you rightly say many good stock makers in uk for fraction of Italy or Portugal. This was my point when I asked what the op had now and if it was not a better idea to keep that and have custom stock made

have a word with mutley.

Ian I just don't understand the need to travel to Italy or any other country to have something made that could be made in the UK. I do not believe that there is some magic formula known only by Italian or Portuguese stockers... it is a piece of well chosen well seasoned wood that is shaped to fit the shooter and nothing more. I am having my own custom stock made but I am having it made about 190km along the road here in France not flying off to Italy at god knows what added expense. Add to that if you have a problem you have to repeat that journey, not drive just a couple of hours along the road. Anyway all of that is a bit off topic sorry but something for the OP to ponder perhaps?

I've shouldered literally a few hundred guns over the years, the custom ones looked and felt the same as the rest bar the obvious differences.

yes but were they specifically custom made for your dainty hand as by definition no proper custom grip / stock will feel right for anyone else.

yes but were they specifically custom made for your dainty hand as by definition no proper custom grip / stock will feel right for anyone else.
Oddly enough I actually have decent size hands and arms, prefer 14-3/4 inch LOP, my challenge is vertical.  :lol:  Seriously though within reason you could pick up a gun and shoot it good. I could prolly shoot a couple of mates custom Perazzi at least as well as them. 

Sorry to take so long to reply, I was out, er, shopping...

IPS, current gun is a Fabarm sporter. The intention is to get another gun  - there's nothing actually wrong with the Fabarm, but apparently it doesn't lend itself to being set up trap.  That said, I've been toying with the idea of getting another gun for a while, so adapting the current one, while sensible, isn't what I plan to do.

John, the idea of a custom stock is also good. The DT10s I tried today had v nice looking stocks, right length, but I would like more of a palm swell. From what I was told, the standard stocks don't come with more swell, so at some point I might look into a new stock.  I'll certainly start looking in the UK - the threads on here are pretty inspirational - but I also have family not far from some of the Portuguese stockers...

From what I saw today, the pick were a couple of DT10 Tridents, s/n starting with AG, all caps lettering, good barrels, action, and trigger. The lever was well placed, the action not too loose, the barrels are well fixed even when the forend is off, and the price wasn't half bad.  They even fit me...

I'll do a bit more web research, but I'm short of reasons to change my mind.

In terms of P-guns, your arguments are well made, but from my quick bit of research, an equivalently priced (sub £3k) P-gun is likely to have had a much harder life than these Berettas, so it might be a future change!

buy the dt10 chop the fabarm, if it fits don't worry about custom at this stage, if palm swell is a must then a stocker could prob graft some wood in. Forget the P gun overpriced Imo and no better than a B.

you will not get a better gun for the money end of

Latest posts

Back