Bucks - New to it all!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVE_B

Hi Everyone, seems a friendly and helpful group.

My wife (Victoria) and I (Dave) are very new to the sport. We are both inexperienced but very keen.

We have recently got our SGC and now have new Browning B725s mine a 30" Sporter and hers a 28" Hunter. I've had mine extended to 16" lop and hers has been chopped and had a denuser and kickeez added.

We have had a few lessons in our area and have just started to try some of the local Sunday Shoots. Nothing sparkling but all great fun, you have to start somewhere. I guess keeping the better/more experienced shots waiting while we shoot a stand is our biggest worry at the moment.

Saying we are keen is obvious as we are new to it, we are currently shooting every weekend with last weekend getting up to Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We are hoping to be regulars at: Oxford Gun Company, Hornet SG, College Farm SG, Honesberie, Valley View, Crazy Bear, Prestwood (Aylesbury and Flackwell Heath) and Sporting Targets.

I am looking forward to gaining as much as possible from the forum, and where possible giving something.

Please bare with me if I ask any too basic questions.

Dave_B

Hi Dave,

You will have a great journey and should love it for a long time. I may see you at Hornet. Don't forget Weston Wood when you have been shooting for six months or so as it is likely the best shoot in your area.

Just a comment though; are you VERY tall? A 16" LOP is huge and could be a product of your incorrect stance ( which all beginners have). You will not be stood properly for ages, trust me. Therefore gun fit is not something to worry about too much at first, as it is more of a moving target than the clays you are chasing..

Oh and the other bit of copper bottomed advice is get some lessons now, rather than lock the self-taught bad habits in.

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard Dave - another fairly local - you'll spot a few ShootClay logos out and about at those grounds!

Enjoy the site - any questions, please let me know.

Hi CSC3,

Fully understand the comments about stance, have had several places check the fit prior to letting the gun be altered. All came back with the same LOP, I'm just 6' but it seems pretty good at the moment. As extending didn't require losing any wood I went with the 16" and when my stance and mount settle down I may revise it if necessary.

As for the need for lessons - can't agree with you more. Currently up to about 8 lessons some of those with Kevin Grey at Hornet/College Farm but have also taken numerous opportunities to have lessons around our area to get a feel for other approaches and oppinions.

Dave

Good stuff. Lessons mixed with going off to practice by yourself is a good plan. Valley view is probably one of the best grounds in your list, because it is varied, not too hard, but worth shooting. Crazy Bear is another good one, but clashes with VV I think..

For reference, I am 6' 1" and use a 15" LOP. It is affected by build. If you are very slim it would likely want to be over 15", but it is not a big deal as long as you are aligned with the barrel, visually.

Enjoy!

Welcome Dave & Victoria - very pleased to see another enthusiastic shooting couple. Hope you enjoy the site Bob & Wendy

Hi Dave, great to see another local. Our paths will no doubt have crossed before and more than likely in the future around the Bucks area. Have fun, enjoy the learning process, and above all practice.

Welcome to the site :) I'm also localish and look forward to bumping into you both :)

I'm just under 6' 5" and shoot an auto with a LOP of 16 38" if you hit clays with it don't worry about fit for a couple of years :)

Jon.

I guess keeping the better/more experienced shots waiting while we shoot a stand is our biggest worry at the moment.
Hi Dave, make them wait, there's no rush, you've paid your money just the same as them and they were where you are at some point in their shooting career too so sod em and enjoy what your doing!

Ian

Thanks everyone for your welcome.

We had a good few hours today at Oxford Gun Company. We are hoping to get to Sporting Targets over near Bedford tomorrow, time and weather permitting.

Still looking through the older posts to try not to ask old questions again.

Thanks for your patience!

Dave

Latest posts

Back