Breeks are they required?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDW 1970, Wellingtons or boots for walking to the peg, shoes for indoor meals.

Now I know 40UP and Maxum can hit them with 28grams of 6's and Ed can probably do it with 24 grams. BUT THEY WILL STUGGLE TO KILL THEM.

So take 36gram  5's minimum  and possibly 36gram 4's for  Brigands, Maesmawr  the birds are lower, but still very good. 5's should be good and effective if you put them in the right place. Don't be overawed with the birds and enjoy your day.

At Brigands some of the drives are fabulous,  Tymawr (Humble Pie) brilliant (it could humble you) but it is fabulous, The Oaks,  even more fabulous,  Under the Wire , brilliant,  Pandy Pines, achievable, Tegwyns, don't stop and gasp, shoot the bl**dy birds (only joking) and perhaps the keynote drive 720 may be disappointing, (only teasing) no they are not starlings they are pheasants. But all possible. Enjoy your day and thank whoever invited you profusely, you must be someone very special.

Maesmawr is a very nice traditional shoot, you will enjoy that possibly more because you will be in your comfort zone. 

Guys

Thank you so very much for the advice, i have to be honest im a little worried but really looking forward to it.

I have been told i have a loader and will be double gunning (i think the loader will be able to advise me a little on the drives etc) but i am looking through the different posts on here for any pointers.

Fingers crossed i wont completley screw it up

Cheers

Lee

Have you shot double guns before? If not I would suggest a lesson at a shooting ground beforehand. Its a lot trickier than it looks and very easy to clang your barrels if you rush it.

Best advice I can give is take your time, try and stay calm and relaxed, trust your loader (if he's loading at Brigands he will be top draw) and if you are at all worried about double guns just use one and get your loader to "stuff" for you :)

Enjoy and make sure you give us a write up afterwards, most jealous ;)

Lee,

Don't worry at all, stay calm. 

The only time double gunning goes awry is when the Gun ( you ) panics or get's greedy and tries to rush the loader.

You can practice at home with a single gun if you have never done it before. 

Just remember if you are R/Handed you give the gun with your right and receive with your left.

Left Handers give with the left and receive with their right.

The safety catch is your responsibility if it is automatic just remember to push it off safe before trying to shoot, if it's a clay gun (none-auto safe) make sure you point it out to the loader, (he should / will check) just make sure you are both safe.

Biggest waste I find is when you shoot at a bird with a single barrel then stand waiting with just one up the spout and then you get a mad flush.

You have two barrels make sure you use them, make your loader earn his money ( unless it's me of course). :smile:   :smile:   :smile:

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Guys

I am going to Cockett Farm tomorrow to have a little practice with 2 guns, my Brother In Law who has invited me to the shoots has a day at Ripley Castle on the 5th Jan and i am going to load for him so will be able to see how the other loaders do it and maybe get some tips from them.

I cant believe how helpful you have all been, this is a fantastic site, i promise to let you all know how i get on.

All the best Lee

It's because we are all jealous of such nice shoots you are going to shoot on. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. Meanwhile I have to spend my time shooting with sloppyone who double guns, loads and shoots all by himself ;-))

Aaaw shucks  Maxum it's awfully difficult being superior and yet remain humble.

You forget that I am inspired and financed by Isabel, supported by Purdey & Boo and powered by Miroku, with that type of backing my supremacy is assured and actually it does come easy, but of course I am immensely talented but remain modest with it. 

If only we could aspire to be half as good as Lord Ed & Baron Deckx

Picked up some breeks today, got a pair of Hoggs moleskins gor £40, should be good enough to finish off this season. Had a couple of hours experimenting with the socks and garters, socks inside or out, buckles tighter, garters slacker etc etc. I must admit they are very comfy in wellies compared to folding up trousers.

Martin

Thats a whole new debate Johnny, Socks in or socks over the breeks?

I'm a sock over guy, why have fancy sock tops if you cant show them off :D  

Mrs Fuz is a sock under girl though.

whats your preference guys?

I called round at my 65 year old Dads last night (who also shoots) and showed him my breeks, well I got a bit of stick to day the least. He refuses to wear them on the grounds that they make his 29" legs look even shorter, they separate and give you cold legs, and make you look a puffter! My mother was more sympathetic at least. So its no good asking him for advice on socks in or out. I don't think its any use me getting him some for his birthday either .

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny,

I've got 29" legs as well, being a skinflint it makes my plus two's look like plus fours which are more expensive.

Maxum is tighter than me, he gets his wife to turn them up and make him a shooting vest from the offcuts.

Seen my Dad tonight, my mum's putting some pressure on him now to get a pair. I've picked up some base layer tights from sports direct today to wear underneath, they offer some thermal benefit without being too warm like thermals, plus no itchy socks against my legs. I'm a bit sensitive to wool etc.

What's all this talk of socks and breeks ? Are breeks not what Johnny Foreigner wears ? Next you lot will be tying bells roon yer knees and dancin wae hankies.

lols, nice dress chiefy, you ought to see us when we dance gaily round the maypole :lol:

I have been on a few game shoots over the years and some of the best dressed guns I've seen couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo.Best day I ever had 350 was in jeans rugby shirt and a green plastic mack it was worth it just for the looks.

Latest posts

Back