Breeks are they required?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Morning folks, i've had/ got several game days this season. I always wear smart shirt jumper and tie, but i wear a pair of smart ish seeland trousers. Everone else wears breeks, is it etiquette to wear breeks or am I fine in moleskin trousers? I do feel like the odd one out at times.

Martin

Breeks are worn for practicality as, unless you're wearing wellies, trousers will soak up water etc. Not everyone wears breeks but if you don't then wellies or leggings are a must. Personally I wear breeks but I think it's a matter of personal choice. However, don't expect sympathy if you come in with trousers soaked up to the knee and covered in mud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never wear breeks, but always wear wellies. I have a pair of moleskin trousers that I wear and no-one has ever said anything. Then again I shoot on a farmers shoot not a big driven day shoot.

Breeks if it is a formal day.....simples

It is all about etiquette.

I wear a pair of quality green cords most of the time. I also wear wellies and then over trousers if it is very wet. Nobody complains even if I do look like a beater!

However a couple of weeks ago I had an invite to a very smart private shoot on N Ireland. Breeks were required. I have a pair that I had never worn -  so they came out of the cupboard. My brother who was also shooting bought a pair on ebay!! A smoking jacket was also suggested for the night before......but I  didn't go that far.

My over/under got a few disapproving looks too!

I've been looking at Seeland Woodcocks for £76 ish, some Le Chameu cotton for £75 ish and some musto cotton ones for £75 ish. I'd prefer a dark green pair to go with my Seeland Keeper coat.

Must admit I'm a bit of a tweedophile purist, apart from shooting a tricked up O/U claybuster :lol:

need to win the lottery and get me a 3 piece schoffel ensemble :D

Only really go when Im invited but just have a pair of smart ish trousers which I wear with wellies, shirt, tie, jacket if its baltic...

Looking forward to a 350 bird day on the 12th :)

Hi Chaps and happy Christmas,

Ive just been invited to two game shoots one at The Brigands Estate and the second being at Maesmawr Hall

So ive had to invest in the Breeks etc but im not sure what i should be wearing with regards to footware?

Are wellington boots ok or do i have to get something more specific?

I dont want to look a Muppet

And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lee

Wellies or walking boots and gaiters.

You'll be fine in the above.

Remember another pair of indoor shoes for coffee and aftershoot food.

Enjoy the shoots.

As Jem says. Remember a change of clean foot ware incase you go indoors after the shoot. Look silly round the table in just your socks ;-))

Have a fab time.

Never mind the breeks - at Brigands you'll have more to think about than trousers without cargo pockets. One of the 10 greatest pheasant shoots, my learned friend Harris the Salopian often lurks behind the guns there and can advise. I'd recommend one of the 36gm VIP, Blacks, Extremes, JK6s though don't overchoke. Wonderful life. You'll see how fast a pheasant can go flying a mile downhill with it's wings shut.  :)

Scan_Doc0010.pdf

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0010.pdf
    978.2 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back