Black action shotguns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay B

Hi all. Are black action guns used for game shooting? would people look at you a bit funny if you turned up with one. Also sorry for the double question.  Has anyone got or had a black action gun? How do the hold up do the scratch or mark easily? 

It's probably a PVD coating, it is a very hard coating but also very thin (which can be measured in molecules rather than MM) It was used on high end mobile phones, watches and jewellery etc. among many other applications - testing proved that it was extremely durable and long lasting but, as with all coatings, there are limits and it will wear through eventually dependent upon the amount of wear that it gets.

Vacuum deposition is the deposition of a film or coating in a vacuum (or low-pressure plasma) environment. Generally, the term is applied to processes that deposit atoms or molecules one at a time, such as in physical vapor deposition (PVD)

Hi all. Are black action guns used for game shooting? would people look at you a bit funny if you turned up with one. Also sorry for the double question.  Has anyone got or had a black action gun? How do the hold up do the scratch or mark easily? 
The good news , No one will give a monkeys what  action colour you have on a game shoot . I’ve never been asked what gun I shoot , chokes I use , or what cartridges I’m carrying .  Your gun will be slipped until you get on peg , slipped when you leave the peg , and on a decent shoot the pegs spaced so that you’ll not see in detail what the next gun is using .  I know several people who shoot game with black action guns including old B25s and more moder Perazzis  .  I’ve had a couple of back action guns , never had a problem , the actions and barrels were ( as are my current coin finished guns ) wiped over with an oily rag . I always shoot in McWett gloves summer and winter for what it’s worth , great for stopping sweaty fingermarks 

Slightly off-topic, one of the places I worked for moved to a chemically-cold blacking process, which was supposedly more environmentally friendly. I thought it was inferior to the hot process they used to use before (it would sometimes rub off with light use). Some of the finishes I've seen on "anti-reflective barrels" reminds me very much of the cold-blacking process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot black-actioned Perazzis for years - very durable.  When one factory-orders a new gun having a black or nickel coloured action is one of the many options - most opt for black these days. 

I see a lot of shooters from the ridiculously wealthy down to the ones on the tightest if budgets and while those of us that live for shooting will crib about many things guns do,never has anyone said anything about the looks of someone's shotgun(although i find it highly amusing when a side by side finishes the drive with jumper wraped round it😂)

Most Blaser F3 are black, i´ve had mine for just over 8 years now and it still looks like new. Used in all weather (as long as the sun is shining😁) every week on 2-3 days

Most Blaser F3 are black, i´ve had mine for just over 8 years now and it still looks like new. Used in all weather (as long as the sun is shining😁) every week on 2-3 days
The black action on mine doesn’t look new. I think it’s a victim of being cleaned 620 times. 

I used to have a Browning Pro Sport. Had a black action and was easily scratched. Same with the barrels. Maybe something to do with the cerakote blacking. If you are clumsy like me and like your gun looking pristine, best to avoid the Pro Sport....

I used to have a Browning Pro Sport. Had a black action and was easily scratched. Same with the barrels. Maybe something to do with the cerakote blacking. If you are clumsy like me and like your gun looking pristine, best to avoid the Pro Sport....
You must have been really rough with it then, mine gets used weekly and is still looking good after 4 years. However , the engine turning finish has worn off one side of the barrel lump, but you can only see that when the gun is open.

You must have been really rough with it then, mine gets used weekly and is still looking good after 4 years. However , the engine turning finish has worn off one side of the barrel lump, but you can only see that when the gun is open.
No, not rough with it. Just caught it a few times on zips etc. I didn’t think the finish was very robust. 

Don't think I've come across a shotgun yet where that hasn't happened when used regularly, even when looked after well.

I've shot black-actioned Perazzis for years - very durable.  When one factory-orders a new gun having a black or nickel coloured action is one of the many options - most opt for black these days. 
Mine has lost the finish on the lower edges of the action where I've  had it over my arm. Only had a few years use. I would  avoid a black finish now. 

Latest posts

Back