best game cartridge!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK-POACHER

right lets see what you boys and girls reckon then! 12g i use gamebore pure gold 28gram 6's early season then late season or high birds eley vip 32gram 5's mustard!! also love my 28 bore for partridge shooting 19gram vip not many get away...... :)  

using kent velocity pigeon specials, 29g fibre 6's at a very tidy 180 per thou. They do a fine job for most situations and cheap enough to blast a few off on the pigeons too. :)

Really cant touch black gold games tho, sexy looking shell and do a cracking job on the better birds, but you do pay for the privilege  :(  

Mirage 32g 6's pigeons/pheasants

Mirage 34g 36g 5's/4's high pheasants/ducks

Mirage 50g BB's geese

Guns with 2.5" chambers haven't been made for 50yrs yet we still use cartridges for them.

using kent velocity pigeon specials, 29g fibre 6's at a very tidy 180 per thou. They do a fine job for most situations and cheap enough to blast a few off on the pigeons too. :)

Really cant touch black gold games tho, sexy looking shell and do a cracking job on the better birds, but you do pay for the privilege  :(

Mirage 32g 6's pigeons/pheasants

Mirage 34g 36g 5's/4's high pheasants/ducks

Mirage 50g BB's geese
must try some of these heard good reports from a few people :)  

Bloody Scotsmen, rubbing it in they can still use lead inland for ducks and geese :lol: :.:

This question has two answers depending on wad type.

For me it is simple where plaswads are concerned; RC Sipes are the best I have found by far! 

The jury is still out for fibre wad cartridges.Black Gold's are good but the recoil is stiff. I found the RC Prestige loads less than satisfactory to say the least!

I am currenntly testing Fiocchis in fibre (the pigeon 32g load and the pl30 load) and the initial impression is good, time will tell.

Didn't know people still shot plaswads on game.  :wink:

Eley VIP 28 in my 20 bore and either the same or Gamebore Supergame 30s in the 12 bore.

There's no such thing as the best game cartridge. There is such a thing as the best game cartridge for your gun depending on your prey and the likely range. You can't pick a cartridge without first shooting it at a pattern plate and seeing how it patterns.

As for shot size, I'll use 6s on early season pheasant, but 5s once they've feathered up a bit and are flying stronger. On duck it's 5s all season.

As for weight I've had nothing fly over that won't come down with a 32g load. If I'm shooting one of my 20s I limit it to 30g.

As for what works well in my gun which is choked 3/4 and 3/4 it's Hull High Pheasant Fibre wad.

Latest posts

Back