Beretta world 2016

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiptop

I see that the Beretta world 2016 is to be held back at Holywell estate, Hampshire. 30th of June - 2nd of July (Thursday-Saturday)

Looks like i may have to dust off the old gold e.

Right in the centre of the country  :huh:  I can guarantee I won't be there.

is it fibre wad again then ??
Yes

120 bird over 15 stands, 2 courses (1x7 stands, 1x8 stands), all squads starting from stand 1. 

All on the Beretta world 2016 website for those that might be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fibre wads, terrible for a World shoot.

You will be telling me next you have to use a Berrettatata.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fibre wads - Level playing field for everyone. (Except those that buy the budget brands).

Plastic wads - On this shoot - Littering and Cheating!

Using a Beretta - A pleasure. :smile:

Strange how many will beg/borrow/steal a Beretta to compete in this shoot (and end up putting in a good score too!).

A Krieghoff only shoot? Would there be enough to make up a squad?   :wink:

Ian I didn't understand your "littering and cheating" comment there.

And if you have any information about budget brands of fibre wad cartridges I would be most interested to have it. It may indeed reinforce dark thoughts about one brand in particular...

That's not good for the event sponsors as hardly no one will be there for finals day , prize giving or photos !!!!

Ian I didn't understand your "littering and cheating" comment there.

And if you have any information about budget brands of fibre wad cartridges I would be most interested to have it. It may indeed reinforce dark thoughts about one brand in particular...
Charles, Littering because of all the eons to degrade plastic wads scattered all across the shoot, and cheating, because using plastic wads (which everybody knows are superior in terms of patterns and consistency) their use is outside the rules for this particular shoot, therefore - cheating.

As far as the budget brands comment goes. I've used them all in a quest to find one as good as they get. To some on here it doesn't matter what you shoot, your performance will be in the same old ball park, and good on you for that if it makes you happy at a reasonable cost. There are differences however, and ones which I am happy to pay for, although cost is not necessarily a gauge as to performance, as you will all attest to I'm sure.

I've shots loads of brands and types over the years and I can tell the difference between one which is good, and one which is not so good. All cartridges will perform to a level to keep most people satisfied, but I'm afraid some of us seek perfection and are not happy with inferior products, built to a budget, rather than to a performance standard..

If you tell me the cartridge you have "dark thoughts" about, I would be more than happy to offer my opinion, provided it is one I have experience of, rather than just heresay from the "Man Down the Pub", as this is no way to form a balanced and reliable opinion. But then you knew that - Right? :smile:

I understood littering, but I really was sufficiently naive to assume that nobody would use a plastic wad at a "Fibre only" location in order to gain an advantage.

I'm beginning to wonder a little about the Sportsman Gun Centre budget cartridges with fibre wads. At that price you know they're not designed or manufactured for Olympic performance, of course. But they do indeed go "bang", and sometimes produce an impressive display of confetti or even a lengthy flame. I have no hardl evidence to go on - although a session at the pattern plate is planned after Christmas to have a look at chokes and suchlike which I now think may be expanded to have a cursory glance at cartridges. 

I understood littering, but I really was sufficiently naive to assume that nobody would use a plastic wad at a "Fibre only" location in order to gain an advantage.

I'm beginning to wonder a little about the Sportsman Gun Centre budget cartridges with fibre wads. At that price you know they're not designed or manufactured for Olympic performance, of course. But they do indeed go "bang", and sometimes produce an impressive display of confetti or even a lengthy flame. I have no hardl evidence to go on - although a session at the pattern plate is planned after Christmas to have a look at chokes and suchlike which I now think may be expanded to have a cursory glance at cartridges. 
I can help you with your reservations I think Charles as I have used the cartridges you mention. The first batches they had made by Trust, originally in plastic only, but recently in the fibre wad, were a reasonable cartridge for the price. I use them myself for straw balers and when it really doesn't matter, but would I use them for a British or World ranked shoot? No, I would not. This is despite me being not interested in competition. i only have my personal expectations to live up to now, but I would not start off with such a disadvantage.

Sadly, the new batches are made by Eley, indirectly through their Spanish operations and are a completely different prospect. I  would put them in the same category as Eley Firsts, which are a cartridge that would be more suited to bird scaring in a cherry orchard. I will not buy any more of this new branding, but sadly so many are led by price alone and refuse to expect a certain return for their hard earned cash.

Of course the "Sales" staff will tell you that they are the best cartridge on the market, but note, they are Sales Staff and it is their job to push their products. You have to ask yourself, would you trust them enough to buy a used car from them? No, I wouldn't either!

It is a classic case of developing a brand loyalty, and then producing a cheaper (to the seller) option, hoping nobody will notice. I have spoken to one of the Directors at the Sportsman, who I know personally, but sadly money and cost is the driving force behind that business, so I can't see any changes being made, particularly as they have committed themselves to such large quantities from this source. Some on here will like them, they will do a job, but you pay your money and get what you pay for.

Back on subject slightly, the use of fibre wads at The Beretta Worlds is no detriment to scores. Look at the previous shoots, and other registered Fibre only shoots (Ashley, Nr. Tiverton, Devon for example), and you will see the scores are directly comparable to those using plastic wadded cartridges. But good scores do not come from rubbish cartridges, no matter who is holding the gun.

To me, I find it equally baffling why people spend £thousands on their gun, but pence on their cartridges. It's like putting cheap fuel into a Race car, hanging a priceless guitar on a £10 strap, or putting the cheapest tiles known to man on the roof of your country retreat. It can only end in tears!  :smile:

Fibre wads - Level playing field for everyone. (Except those that buy the budget brands).

Plastic wads - On this shoot - Littering and Cheating!

Using a Beretta - A pleasure. :smile:

Strange how many will beg/borrow/steal a Beretta to compete in this shoot (and end up putting in a good score too!).

A Krieghoff only shoot? Would there be enough to make up a squad?   :wink:
Are you going Ian ?

Are you going Ian ?
Rosso, I would seriously love to be able to go, but sadly that will not be possible. I do have a Beretta though, (at the moment) but it may be finding a new home soon. :wink:

Back