Beretta Optima HP chokes.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer7

Anyone any opinions on them? Do they tend to throw good patterns generally? Any tendency to shoot tighter than marked? Just as good as any other choke?

I know you need to pattern your gun/choke/cartridge to see whats what but my 692 with 1/4 &1/2 seems to shoot a lot tighter than my teagued browning.

Anyone any opinions on them? Do they tend to throw good patterns generally? Any tendency to shoot tighter than marked? Just as good as any other choke?

I know you need to pattern your gun/choke/cartridge to see whats what but my 692 with 1/4 &1/2 seems to shoot a lot tighter than my teagued browning.
They throw very good patterns, 1/4 choke tighter than marked compared to my browning 325 chokes!!! You should never need more than 1/2 choke on the longest sporting targets, 1/2 and 3/4 for any trap, including OT with 24g loads.

They throw very good patterns, 1/4 choke tighter than marked compared to my browning 325 chokes!!! You should never need more than 1/2 choke on the longest sporting targets, 1/2 and 3/4 for any trap, including OT with 24g loads.
Thats what I suspected! I've only used 1/4 &1/2 at my local ground but they seem to really make a job of even the longest shots and thats using fibre wads as well. I'm not much of a choke twiddler but was even thinking of going down to cyl & 1/4 for the closer stuff.
Also am I correct in thinking the Skeet choke is more open than CYL? Sure I saw somewhere in the handbook it was a negative or reverse choke. Was always used to CYL, SK, 1/4 etc. But am thinking this is SK, CYL, 1/4?

Also am I correct in thinking the Skeet choke is more open than CYL? Sure I saw somewhere in the handbook it was a negative or reverse choke. Was always used to CYL, SK, 1/4 etc. But am thinking this is SK, CYL, 1/4?
Strictly speaking no, it is possible though that Beretta has decided to have a giggle marketing wise with a play on words but as long as you remember nothing throws more open than Cyl there's no harm. 

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/12-bore-beretta-chokes.html

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details.php?Beretta-Optima-HP-Choke-Tubes&mf=8

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you put a bore micrometer in yours James?

I ask because my Beretta Skeet choke is 5 thou contricted from cylinder, but it is the older Mobil Choke style.

Have you put a bore micrometer in yours James?

I ask because my Beretta Skeet choke is 5 thou contricted from cylinder, but it is the older Mobil Choke style.
We are taking about Optima HP chokes...Mobil chokes went out with the ark...

We've ben here before Hammy, Beretta choke marked Skeet is their most open choke...
Even the links seem to list Cyl as .733 against Sk as .728 though. 

At the end of the day it has no more than academic relevance, if there is ANY constriction then it has to be deemed as having choke, no constriction means it's Cyl.

I've just measured my chokes and the Skeet optima hp is .770 versus .732 for the cylinder choke.

I've just measured my chokes and the Skeet optima hp is .770 versus .732 for the cylinder choke.
Yes but the point is that it's just a marketing ploy, all done for a larf. The most open pattern can only come from CYL, making the choke wider than having NO constriction makes no odds to the result, all it does is reduce the distance from barrel to target shorter by a few cm's, if that made a telling difference then just stand a tad closer to the bar in the stand.

If I change my name to Hulk Hogan it don't mean I'd get receding hair and a mullet overnight do it ?  :lol:   ;)   :lol:

Yes but the point is that it's just a marketing ploy, all done for a larf. The most open pattern can only come from CYL, making the choke wider than having NO constriction makes no odds to the result, all it does is reduce the distance from barrel to target shorter by a few cm's, if that made a telling difference then just stand a tad closer to the bar in the stand.

If I change my name to Hulk Hogan it don't mean I'd get receding hair and a mullet overnight do it ?  :.:  ;)   :.:
Ah I see what your getting at now! So basically it's going to behave like another cylinder choke?

Ah I see what your getting at now! So basically it's going to behave like another cylinder choke?
Bingo  :)  , there are well established ballistics, not absolutes but rules all the same. It is entirely possible for a given gun to throw wider patterns with say 1/4 choke using X shells than another gun using the same shells using Cyl or Skeet chokes but in essence a parallel tube can have it's pattern tightened by degrees using constriction - you cannot however, manipulate the pattern to throw wider without outside interference or help from for example so called spreader shells which have special wads or assembly techniques.

The moment shot leaves the gentle motherly grip of Cylinder, it is entering the atmosphere, whether it happens to have a few mm's of negative metal still around it makes no odds. That negative metal isn't in contact with anything, it hasn't done anything, it cannot impart an affect. Swapping names isn't science, it's advertising spiel.

Latest posts

Back