Benelli Sp'Auto - 21st May - some thoughts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
I was lucky enough to get invited to West Midlands Shooting Ground today to shoot part of the Benelli Sp'auto layout, with GMK, using Benelli semi-autos and Hull Cartridges. I thought I'd just jot down some thoughts.

Firstly - Hodnet - my first time there, and what a treat - I think it's my favourite ground visited so far - beautiful layout, great topology, lovely trees and wildlife. The ground is well designed, long winding path around the stands which were all well appointed and safely laid out. Gun racks at every stand, decent areas to watch from and some inventive use of the land.

The layout was superb - we shot stans of 8 and 9 targets - the 8's were 4 pairs (sim or on report) with full use of the semi-auto, the 9's sometimes had three birds in the air together or a single followed by a sim pair - there was some really inventive use of the landscape - a single driven followed by a sim pair or a stand called 'the tank' with three floppy singles in front and 20/30ft below your feet which tested your shot selection out. I started on stand 3 with some guys from a gun shop in Wigan, and another member of the press - we had three rabbits : a right/left mid distance, a left/right off the bank and then a right/left in front of your feet. Other stands that stood out were stand 1 (I think reffed by our Salopian during the competition) with a quick flat g/a target followed by a lightning fast right/left crosser on report - if you used two on the first you would definitely miss the second! I also liked one stand shot on the compak layout with three crossers in the air together - great fun to try and sort them out!

As we covered each stand - there were a differnt couple of Benelli guns waiting for us, as well as various Hull Cartridges - we shot Pro-Ones, Special Pigeons and Superfasts - through the Benelli Super Sport, the Vinci and a couple others I didn't recognise.

We shot 84 targets - I came away with a 61 - which considering I have only ever shot a handful of shots with a semi-auto before I was pretty happy with. I was just about getting familiar with the loading on all the different Benellis on the way round as we finished up! They served up an ace BBQ in the sunshine back at the club house.

I will definitely jump at any chance to get back to Hodnet - its a 2.5 hour drive for me, but worth every minute of the tedious variable speedlimit on the M42 - the coutnry side is beautiful and the shooting ground is up there with the best of the best.

So - full props to West Midlands Shooting Ground, and the guys at GMK & Hull for looking after everyone, but most of all to Martin Myers who won the Sp'Auto on a stellar 117ex120 which by my reckoning is bloody great shooting!

Other stands that stood out were stand 1 (I think reffed by our Salopian during the competition) with a quick flat g/a target followed by a lightning fast right/left crosser on report - if you used two on the first you would definitely miss the second!

I actually used 2 shots on that first bird 3 times and only dropped 1 overall.

It wasn't my original game plan I just seem to like to make things hard for myself. ^_^

It was my first Auto shoot and it certainly won’t be my last. :)

I stand corrected Timps - although we debated whether the second target should be released on the report of the first or second shot - either way, nice shooting!

Actually - maybe Salopian can tell us how he did that?

Agree with you - would definitely do it next year, shall be on the scrounge for someones s/auto...

If my memory serves me correctly I think it was after the first shot, it cost me one as I was way to late on the second clay.

I had been shooting over the top of going away rising clays due to me being a clumsy oath and not used to my light semi so I slowed down and missed underneath on this stand :eek: .

I bought my semi just for this shoot and I am so glad I did, I am shooting another 120 bird auto shoot at Fauxdegla on the 3rd of June as well.

Matt,

Glad you enjoyed Hodnet.

Yes the second bird was released on the report of the first shot.

I saw some amazing ineptitude.

Some pics of West Midlands Shooting Ground (Hodnet) for anyone that hasn't been there before:

post-10-0-63546900-1337680558.jpg

post-10-0-32177100-1337680561.jpg

post-10-0-39503600-1337680564.jpg

post-10-0-65057000-1337680567.jpg

Attachments

• WP_000137.jpg
    WP_000137.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_000138.jpg
    WP_000138.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_000141.jpg
    WP_000141.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_000142.jpg
    WP_000142.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
Brilliant shoot, it really lived up to my expectations! In my view, the variety of targets, combinations and degree of difficulty were perfect - great course setting.

The third shot aspect adds that extra dimension which sets it apart from the normal sporting round and thus so much more interesting.

Managed to shoot 101/120 but just out of the running in A class and Veterans.

Fantastic venue and the catering was spot on and good value - eg. £3 for a pork or turkey roll at lunchtime and £2 for a bacon roll after the shoot.

Thanks to all involved!

Back