BBC: "People with a history of domestic violence to be banned from owning a firearm or shotgun in England and Wales".

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have thought that they were anyway? ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I thought they already were, if not then yes sounds right as long as its proven without doubt.

To be fair, yes, you'd have reasonably thought that a background or record of domestic violence would have been one of the staple criteria in the police check when considering anyone for both a firearms and SGC

As I understand it. Everyone is entitled to own a shotgun, and it is up to the police to come up with a good reason for not granting a licence.

Surely a history of any kind of violence is reason enough.

So, obviously these checks have not been carried out in the past.

Does anyone know of anybody who has been refused a licence, for anything?

So, obviously these checks have not been carried out in the past.

Does anyone know of anybody who has been refused a licence, for anything?
I know of someone who was stopped for drink driving on a Saturday night (I believe he was 3 times over the limit) next morning the Police turned up and confiscated his guns. The reason given was that to own Firearms you must be a responsible person and responsible people don't get tanked up and then drive a car.

I wouldn't mind betting that it took him longer to get his shotgun certificate back than it did his driving licence.

Serve him right.

Have absolutely no objection to this. Like others have already said, arseholes & cowards. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a shotgun or decent shooting folks.

Good, providing the police act on evidence rather than the opinions of spurned partners or others with an axe to grind.

i would call BS on this unless domestic violence is a convict-able/punishable crime and the person in question has been so convicted.  Leaving the decision of the guilt of a party, and the imposition of "punishments",  to a mere policeman is bad policy in the extreme.  Just like the drunk driver - a court action should have been necessary to justify the confiscation.  Anything less is police state bullsh*t

Breaking News from the BBC: "People with a history of domestic violence to be banned from owning a firearm or shotgun in England and Wales".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23518523
Good.

The definition of domestic violence as used by the Government and the CPS is ""any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse [psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional] between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality." Why is it important that such a full definition is used rather than just people who have committed actual bodily harm? Because nearly all abusers escalate. Practically, this will actually mean next to nothing because to have a "history" you will have to be on record and that means not only reporting to the police but them taking action. How would you prove that someone has a been emotionally abusing you to the police? I don't have an answer to that. I see this as a hopeful gesture.

Re the drink driving, i was told at my interview, that this is an automatic revocation if more than a couple of points over the limt

Mart

Domestic violence here is I suppose well defined too tho simple assault, no contact required, is a felony, a convictable offense.  My obvious objection is that there is no stipulation that the courts be involved in the imposition of punishments.  I do not care for the police to have that kind of tacit power.  Even with the drunk driver - no court conviction, no punishment.  If it is not a court determined punishable instance of criminal behavior there should be no punishment.

Domestic violence here is I suppose well defined too tho simple assault, no contact required, is a felony, a convictable offense.  My obvious objection is that there is no stipulation that the courts be involved in the imposition of punishments.  I do not care for the police to have that kind of tacit power.  Even with the drunk driver - no court conviction, no punishment.  If it is not a court determined punishable instance of criminal behavior there should be no punishment.
Over here DUI is an indictable offence - it will result in a conviction - it is an offence of strict liability - over the limit = convicted, no question.

With domestic violence, if the police have repeated complaints which show a pattern then this is sufficient evidence to refuse an SGC.  Quite rightly in my opinion.

Back