Barrels-to-stock, or stock-to-barrels?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanR

Having had a few hours of tuition now at the same (large) shooting school here in the South East, I am a little mystified on a simple safety point.

The first instructor taught me that once I have loaded the gun, and keeping the barrels in a downward slant, I lift the stock to the barrels to close the gun, ready for firing, so that the gun is safely pointed towards the ground in the event of a mishap. On my next session, a different instructor saw me do this, and pointed out that this was a very good way of losing toes. Apparently, I should *always* lift the barrels to the stock to close the gun, so that the gun is orientated safely towards the sky. Since then, I have also seen a guide to shooting etiquette, written by a leading gunmaker, that agrees with the 'skyward' method of closing the gun.

So who is correct - either, neither? And do I have to remember each instructor's preferences so that I don't get criticised each time I use the 'wrong' method?

Jon.

Personally I think it's a case of common sense. As long as the gun when closed is pointing in a safe direction either is acceptable. With regards to shooting your toes, how big did the instructor think your feet were ?

Personally I'd rather any unexpected discharge was fired as far away into the field's safe zone and away from my feet as possible.

A lot of "etiquette" comes from the old days in Game Shooting circles where certain actions were "not done" because there was a likelihood that people and dogs were surrounding the shooter randomly. Obviously "Staff" were expendable, but it was certainly incorrect form to shoot Lady Ponsonby-Smythe's pet poodle before the first drive.  :hunter:

Between the two I would say. Avoid all toes, but waving it at the sky can let the cartridges slip back.

Personally I'd rather any unexpected discharge was fired as far away into the field's safe zone and away from my feet as possible.

A lot of "etiquette" comes from the old days in Game Shooting circles where certain actions were "not done" because there was a likelihood that people and dogs were surrounding the shooter randomly. Obviously "Staff" were expendable, but it was certainly incorrect form to shoot Lady Ponsonby-Smythe's pet poodle before the first drive.  :hunter:
Spot on. Just be safety conscious at all times. The gun does not care how you shut it as long as you don't slam it shut. 

As topdog said. The people who came up with this tosh also told you to chew your food 30 times and that women weren't strong enough to drive/work and weren't to be trusted to vote. 

Safety matters most, a distant second is what is most conducive to your own rhythm. How you close a gun in a hide is different to how you close it on a drive to how you close it within the restrictions of certain clay stands. 

I would simply like to take this opportunity to jump in with size elevens to say books, people and experts can all talk rubbish on occasion.

When I was shooting game it was always ringing the stock up to the barrels which were pointed downwards because you have beaters out in front of you. When shooting clay targets barrels brought up to the stock while pointing out onto the fosse. Thing is that most of the stands here and I think in the UK are concrete.. we all got peppered one day when someone accidently discharged their gun onto the concrete, so I go with barrels up to stock for clay shooting.

If the gun is pointing to whatever amounts to down range, who GAF how you close it?

My God, People!!  The minutia brought up here for discussion sometimes just boggles the mind!  I mean, that color sock is the best to wear for OT?  Will that work for ABT as well?  How about sporting?  Do freshly washed underwear detract from your setup routine?

inquiring minds and all that

If the gun is pointing to whatever amounts to down range, who GAF how you close it?

My God, People!!  The minutia brought up here for discussion sometimes just boggles the mind!  I mean, that color sock is the best to wear for OT?  Will that work for ABT as well?  How about sporting?  Do freshly washed underwear detract from your setup routine?

You're right. It makes you wonder if instructors tell you this nonsense to justify their fees! Handle your gun safely, don't point it at anyone but apart from that just get on with it. It really doesn't matter how you close it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best to always try and lift stock to barrels if possible,then no matter where you are shooting it will be acceptable.

If you`re ever unfortunate to have a gun discharge on closing(and it does happen), it will safely go into the ground.Obviously you don`t allow the barrels to point at your feet,or anyone elses !

Hth.

​Just can't argue with that.  :ph34r:

It isn`t minutia,it`s basic safe gun handling,all arrived at by decades of experience,some of it very unpleasant.Anyone who thinks they know better is a fool !

I was told by my instructor, "wood is good" point the barrels two yards in front at the ground and bring up the stock to barrels as (right hand shooter) the left hand could lock the barrels in a down ward controlled position, (it was on grass) whereas lifting the barrels up, there was not so much control. Just my 2d worth, Oh, I'm no expert  :baby: .

This safety talk does get a little tiresome. Of course you shouldn't take any risks when it comes to basic safety but for all of us that shoot regularly that really is a given. The shooting press flog it to death and every month there seems to be a letter from some self appointed safety zealot telling us not to do this or that.

My advice to anyone, novice or experienced, is just relax and enjoy the sport. Carry your gun over your shoulder if you wish, take it out of the slip any way you like and lift the barrels to the stock or the other way round. It really doesn't matter.

I just checked my form and it seems I lift both the barrels AND the stock together at the same time.  I really need to check with some authority as to whether that is acceptable or not.  

And I really still need that info on sock color and underwear.  

edit - I noticed too that the gun was slightly leaned to the right so the vertical axis of the gun was not actually vertical.  I'm guessing that this is a transgression of some magnitude as well, eh?

This safety talk does get a little tiresome. Of course you shouldn't take any risks when it comes to basic safety but for all of us that shoot regularly that really is a given. The CPSA flog it to death and every month there seems to be a letter from some safety zealot telling us not to do this or that.

My advice to anyone, novice or experienced, is just relax and enjoy the sport. Carry your gun over your shoulder if you wish, take it out of the slip any way you like and lift the barrels to the stock or the other way round. It really doesn't matter.
​MY GOD, MAN!!  People could die!!

This safety talk does get a little tiresome. Of course you shouldn't take any risks when it comes to basic safety but for all of us that shoot regularly that really is a given. The CPSA flog it to death and every month there seems to be a letter from some safety zealot telling us not to do this or that.

You`ve obviously never witnessed the aftermath of an accidental discharge in the midst of people or you would take a different view !

You had a proper instructor !
​I did Sir,............ well they run a well know shooting school......and I paid em'........ for four lessons :rtfm: . Thought some clay etiquette would not go amiss after waving rifles about from way back when.

Latest posts

Back