Barrel length 693 vittoria

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Lady in question speaking) Thanx for all the advice! It doesn’t make things easier though.... 30 more multifunctional but possible front heavy ness 28 more suitable for skeet...🤔 I think I’ll just go for a 30’’ since I’m strong enough to handle it and feel I need the stability of a longer barrel. The ‘practice gun’ I use right now is even longer and makes my swing (too) slow, but steady. And if I don’t like it in the end...I just ask Joost to buy me a second gun😏

If it’s front heavy, the balance can easily be changed by adding some lead in the stock.
A few years ago I was thinking about buying a new gun, till someone helped me to get the balance right.
I’m now shooting it for years without constantly thinking about which gun to buy next (only occasionally 🤫)

I hate nose heavy guns, just can't get on with them. I end up having to use so much effort to get them moving I end up pushing past stuff. When I bought my current gun I tried both 30 and 32 barrels, both balanced on the hinge and sight pictures looked the same to me. Only went for the 30 as trying it after having done a round of a couple of hundred I found the 30 easier to move when I was a bit fatigued.

"And if I don’t like it in the end...I just ask Joost to buy me a second gun"

Dare I suggest this is why the men are so full of opinions !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it’s front heavy, the balance can easily be changed by adding some lead in the stock.
A few years ago I was thinking about buying a new gun, till someone helped me to get the balance right.
I’m now shooting it for years without constantly thinking about which gun to buy next (only occasionally 🤫)

That might make the gun feel easier to mount but it will definitely NOT make it swing faster.  Any given mass will have a certain amount of inertia and adding mass at the other end will have no effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JDL
I totally agree with you Wonko, but I think most people judge gun weight based on how easy they can mount it, and how the balance feels.
When you generate the swing from your core, you’ll need to add quite some weight to notice any difference in swing speed.

It does not require any additional weight to make the swing seem slower.  I have an MT6 with two barrel sets a 72cm and a 75cm.  Both flat rib, no side ribs, factory screw-ins in both barrels.  Identical weight stamps tho the 75mm does weigh 1oz (28gm) more on the postal scale.  Same gun, same forend, same everything but length and the 75cm takes more of a push than the 72cm simply because of the weight distribution.  Tho I've not tried it, people buy titanium chokes to lighten up the front end.  Probably WAY less than 28gm.

More weight will slow you down whether you think you feel it or not.

I totally agree with you Wonko, but I think most people judge gun weight based on how easy they can mount it, and how the balance feels.
When you generate the swing from your core, you’ll need to add quite some weight to notice any difference in swing speed.

It does not require any additional weight to make the swing seem slower.  I have an MT6 with two barrel sets a 72cm and a 75cm.  Both flat rib, no side ribs, factory screw-ins in both barrels.  Identical weight stamps tho the 75mm does weigh 1oz (28gm) more on the postal scale.  Same gun, same forend, same everything but length and the 75cm takes more of a push than the 72cm simply because of the weight distribution.  Tho I've not tried it, people buy titanium chokes to lighten up the front end.  Probably WAY less than 28gm.

agree 100%  tried a factory miroku sporter with the teague chokes..urghh, then put titanium chokes in, transformed it completely

Being a saddo, a few years ago I weighted a few chokes. All were Beretta Mobil fit so there maybe more of difference with the longer Optima HP etc.

Briley Spectrum - 32g (Skeet) to 37g (Light Full)

Briley Titanium - 27g (Light Full).

Teague Extended - 27g (Skeet).

Muller - 18g (U1 & U2)

Standard Flush Mobil - 20g (Skeet)

Beretta Victory - 37g (Half).

I'm not sure what that says apart from about 20g saving going to titanium from the equivalent steel and a little extra weight going from skeet to full. I found the extra weight in the Victory chokes closely matched the extra 1 inch of barrel length they add. I do not use the Mullers - which are aluminium.

What it told me was to leave my chokes well alone.

yet if some one said tape a pair of weights on the far end of your barrel ..!

As I've mentioned before, I just wear a heavy stainless wrist chronograph to take care of the balance adjustment.  And a heavy silver ID bracelet to balance that with a couple of the guns.  Fine tuning things like that are the obvious path to success in world class competitions.

oh, wait ...............

Even though she thought she would go for the 30”, she ended up with the 28” version. Shot it yesterday and shot it well. 
Congrats to her. Now you'll never be short of Christmas gift ideas, starting with the 2" extended chokes 🎅

It did come with extended chokes. Not the 2" version I think though.
Surely not the 2" ones, they are longer than most large cigars. The 20mm extended chokes are standard fare with new Berettas. 

Back