Anybody know what this is...?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspire

A friend of mine was given this. T Murcott made shotguns,pre 1910 so I'm told. Any idea what this would've been used for?

http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-1321-0-81232400-1398270124.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-1321-0-65136400-1398270137.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-1321-0-87434200-1398270150.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a gauge of some sort? Depth gauge maybe?

Edit: Ah, Gee was thinking the same thing! But I was also thinking, what units are on the side? They wouldnt be mm or cm as its an old English piece. Doesn't it look imperial, but Im not that familiar with it.

Or is it an adjustable jig of some sort, to let you position two pieces relative to each other? Very interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
My gunsmith knowledge is limited at best! What specifically would a depth gauge be used for? No clue about the units either!

Theophilus Murcott was the inventor of one of the very first snap action shotguns 1861 commonly known as the 'Mousetrap' action due to it's ability to trap unwary fingers. Later taken over by W W Greener to acquire a London address.

The tool looks like a device to compress 'V' springs or something similar.

Theophilus Murcott was the inventor of one of the very first snap action shotguns 1861 commonly known as the 'Mousetrap' action due to it's ability to trap unwary fingers. Later taken over by W W Greener to acquire a London address.

The tool looks like a device to compress 'V' springs or something similar.

With no scale it's difficult to say but I think the spring compressor thot by Salopian is a good one.  Looks a lot like the home-made compressors I've seen in old gunsmithing books.

:fie:  Its looks similar to a "phallus" stretcher or enlarger, its supposed to enlarge your manhood 12mm a day if used correctly?

why not try it for a month and let us all know if it works? :crazy:

Cyril, Go and stand in the freezer. An icepack should take the swelling away.

Keep posting drivel and an Icepick may do the job. Sorry no access to smiley's anymore.

They would be used for, say, measuring how deep a blind hole in a flange is i.e. a hole drilled part way through.

(If you know what a vernier calipers is, there is one on that.)

Its probably not a depth gauge though, bit "heavy duty" looking with the big threaded bar. Probably a spring compressor like the others have said

If you look at photo's two and three you will see that there is a ledge on the moving part and the end stop.

Which makes me think something is being compressed.

As to the graduations, still trying to fathom the reason for them.

Hello all

Having shown the photo to a friend who collects antique shotguns amongst other things he has told me that - It’s a vernier rifle sight adjuster.

Interesting that it’s by Theophilus Murcott 68 Haymarket London. As mentioned he invented the first snap action hammerless double barrelled shotgun, patent no.1003 of 1871usually referred to as Murcott’s Mousetrap because of the noise it made when it was snapped shut.

Cheer James

Yes it could well be part of a sight dependant on size, but usually sights are made of steel and the part shown would be only possibly half of a finished assembly.

Give me some measurements Aspire.

It's not apart of a sight it's a tool to adjust the sights on the rifle.

It was most probably Birmingham made and Murcott would have just stamped has name on it they were usually supplied in the case with the gun.

Hello all

Having shown the photo to a friend who collects antique shotguns amongst other things he has told me that - It’s a vernier rifle sight adjuster.

Interesting that it’s by Theophilus Murcott 68 Haymarket London. As mentioned he invented the first snap action hammerless double barrelled shotgun, patent no.1003 of 1871usually referred to as Murcott’s Mousetrap because of the noise it made when it was snapped shut.

Cheer James
Awesome post! Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back