Any good as a gun safe

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbac300566

262775059820 eBay 

Moving house soon and cannot take gun safe with me as I did very good job installing it,it say's it's fire proof and suitable for a gun safe.Needs a little bit of work inside to secure the guns,it is just down the road from me and looks to have plenty room for even for toys as which I will have to buy to make best use of the safe.Do you think this will meet police approval.Thanks

It will pass on the gauge of the steel but it has only 1 lock, minimum requirement is 2, 5 lever locks

Last edited by a moderator:
So no good,looks hell a lot stronger than my old approved gun safe which has 2 locks,so needs 2 locks and no way around it.

So no good,looks hell a lot stronger than my old approved gun safe which has 2 locks,so needs 2 locks and no way around it.
Its a big gamble depends on the police in your area but i would guess they would say no ( covering their arse ) it is not a gun safe

There is a British standard for gun cabinets (BS 7558) the lock should contain at least 5 levers to BS 3621 standard or equivalent.

There is a British standard for gun cabinets (BS 7558) the lock should contain at least 5 levers to BS 3621 standard or equivalent.

Nope two five levers !

mine has 1 x 5 and 1 x 7 levers

cctv and a keypad entry to the room with a dedicated standalone alarm system 

Read it again..................................................

Full-length side hinged cabinets should have two
locks at points one third and two-thirds the height
of the cabinet.

Need to get up early to catch you napping, Yep i see it now :)

Just to clarify to comply with home office guidance you either need two individual locks or it can be secured by just one lock to BS 362 using the methods a) b)or c) below.

“8. Hinged full-length doors for rifles/shotguns, should be fitted with two locking devices fitted
at points to divide the locking edge into equal parts. Alternatively, the door may have a driven
bolt/multi-point locking system, either key or lever operated, providing:
a) three bolts operating equally along the opening edge or opening edge, top and bottom;
b ) the bolts to provide resistance equal to that in BS3621;
c) a lever driven system to be secured by a lock to BS3621 or equivalent (see illustration
5 & illustration 6).”

You can also use a cabinet certified to BS 7558. 
BS 7558 is mainly about the method of attack testing, basically can it withstand a 5 minute attack from common hand-tools.
The tools listed are Club hammer 1.8 kg, Flat cold chisel overall length 200 mm and blade width 25 mm,  Jemmy.

The only mention of the construction of the cabinet regarding locks in BS7558 is.

“It shall be possible to lock the gun cabinet by means of one or more secure locks or close shackle padlocks of not less than 1 000 differs. Padlock shackles shall be hardened.”

The reasoning behind an attack test rather than specification on design including number of locks was because it was demonstrated that a specification which centred only on the design and construction features of a gun cabinet was insufficient to provide adequate resistance to sustained forcible attack. Cabinets made to the most stringent existing design and construction requirements still provided points of weakness which could be breached in less than 1 min by the methods of physical attack described in the standard.

So for BS 7558 you can build your cabinet to whatever spec you want as long as you take into account the notes listed in section 4 construction (regarding locks the requirement is not less than 1 000 differs but no mention of number of locks required) and send it of for independent testing. 

If it then passes attack test it is a cabinet to BS 7558 no matter how it is made.

I cannot see the safe in question in the op as the ebay number doesn’t work for me, if the single lock throws at least three bolts then it complies. If it has a certificate to say it’s been tested to BS 7558 it complies regardless of having just one lock.  

Thanks for that timps the item has remain unsold,going to pop over to have look,it is a single lock.So if it has three bolts when locked it should be ok.

My gunsafe only has one lock, FEO obviously had no problem with this.
so does mine cos its modern and posh ?

it has one key but it has two locking bolt things. Its section one or whatever its called so propper job. Feo didn't question it.

Back