Air travel shotgun case. Adequate protection?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunc

[SIZE=medium]My lad is making the trek to Dubai next week for the Sporting Competion and we’ve just booked in his shotgun with BA.  (Bit of a convoluted process! )[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]However, the intent was for him to use the Browning hard case that my GP Sporter came in.  The conversation with the guy on the phone has raised a question in my mind so just wanted to check if that would be suitable for air travel or do we need one of those £200ish  padded and armoured Pelican brand cases?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ve travelled in the past with both rifles and shotguns in the hold with no problem, but that was some years ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Any comments would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance. :) [/SIZE]

Peli are great - I think mine is almost too large to be the perfect case - maybe overkill (GavB currently has mine for the same trip)

Negrini Cases are also excellent and I saw a lot of those on the flight to Portugal the first time I went. 

A mate had a basic rifle case dropped from the cargo hold and landed on the ground - broken stock!

Maybe won't matter so much on th sway home but if it got broken on the way out the whole trip is a loss!

All my target rifle and pistol mates all use Pelis for international travel with their guns

Shotgun peli case will be smaller as it breaks down much more than a rifle.

The case the gun comes in (if it is a good manufacturer) is just fine. The thing it needs to have is either roll locks or the place to put a lock on each side that prevents it being opened again once you have cleared customs.

I use the standard Perazzi case. And it travel in and out of the UK several times a year...every year.

Good topic , Nicola as you are probably aware this is my first shoot abroad , so my alluminium kreighoff case will be fine to fly with but when we are there will a gun slip suffice from hotel to grounds , any help will be gratefully received

Steve

Steve
When I'm away the gun stays in the case.
I make up on the ground and slip it to shoot.
Break down back in the case for the hotel.
Jem

Good topic , Nicola as you are probably aware this is my first shoot abroad , so my alluminium kreighoff case will be fine to fly with but when we are there will a gun slip suffice from hotel to grounds , any help will be gratefully received

Steve
Regardless of what's OK over there, I soooooo wouldn't sling a gun bag on my shoulder from hotel to ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to see those baggage handlers tossing Aluminium case about .

Plastic is far better such as a Pelican (best) Negrini (good) or if your in the F1 Valley near the Oxford M40 borrow a Radcon .

[SIZE=medium]My lad is making the trek to Dubai next week for the Sporting Competion and we’ve just booked in his shotgun with BA.  (Bit of a convoluted process! )[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]However, the intent was for him to use the Browning hard case that my GP Sporter came in.  The conversation with the guy on the phone has raised a question in my mind so just wanted to check if that would be suitable for air travel or do we need one of those £200ish  padded and armoured Pelican brand cases?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ve travelled in the past with both rifles and shotguns in the hold with no problem, but that was some years ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Any comments would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance. :) [/SIZE]
You've probably already covered this but don't forget Airline Transportation rules now require a lockable case. I believe (although i'm not certain) a minimum of two locks are required and if they're fitted the must work. Certainly on the occasions i've taken my guns overseas a case to this standard has not caused any issues.

I know of at least one overseas shooter who found this out to his cost when they arrived at the airport.

As far as cases go, I recommend an Americase. They're extremely sturdy and built to last. The only problem is they ain't cheap, in fact at over £600 they cost more than most peoples guns!

Steve
Steve, Ben has been speaking to Mohammad, the organising guy and asked him specifically about gun storage. 

Apparently when you arrive in Dubai, the organisers take your guns from you at the airport and take them to the ground.  When you have finished shooting each day, the guns are stored at the ground, so you will not have to carry your guns around or store them in your hotel.

HTHs

http://www.shootclayforum.com/index.php?/classifieds/item/113-peli-storm-im3100-case-and-solid-foam-insert/

They are amazing - I have one (which GavB is borrowing, so now he has two) and I don't regret it at all. 

Super solid, 6 clasps all the way round, three lock loops and a pressure valve... mine has satellite tracking as well, if it gets lost.

Matt

Steve
You use the armoury Steve. No need to carry it around from hotel to ground.

[SIZE=medium]That looks a good deal, thanks!  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Actually, I do have several plastic gun cases myself and use the Doskocil Double scoped rifle case nearly every day for my 10m target rifle.  But I wouldn't really trust it with airport handlers.  (But the Spider in your link does look a LOT more substantial.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Anyway, now got the Peli 1700 (or will have on Sun) so hope that it will resist any gorillas between here and Dubai :) [/SIZE]

Back