3 entry prices at Horne today.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we sure the £30 was not for re-entry if you wanted a second go?  So £35 comp, £31 birds only and £30 re-entry.  Just a thought.
Nope. I asked for Birds only, '£30' said lass behind the counter. Chap sitting next to her asked 'do you want your scores submitted?' 'Yes' I answered, that's '£31' says he. i chipped in the extra pound and then as i was leaving I asked what the top score in C class was. '72' says the lass. 'Well' I thought, given a good day, with the wind behind me and if everyone else chickens out or goes blind, I'm in with an outside chance of getting in the places. 'Ok', says me ' I'll go comp'. '£5 extra' says the lass. 'No' says the bloke, 'he paid the extra pound'. 

It was a nice shoot. Very, very quiet for Horne having arrived at mid day rather than early, we didn't have to wait on any stands and who'd have believed that it was mid December with the weather? Barring a one stand crashout I would have challenged the 72 and I'd have been very, very chuffed with that. Having a couple of people pitch up and shoot 90+ in C class kinda took the shine off though!

first thing is was it advertised as a registered shoot ?? if yes then no choice ALL scores have to be submitted to cpsa but no extra money should be charged for this . now the only exception is when a non cpsa member turns up to shoot , in this case we allow them to shoot , charge the birds only fee which with us is £5 less than comp price and they do what they want with the card usually bin it , then we give them a hard sell to join cpsa in which case alot do .

i am thinking more and more these days that a comp is a comp and what would happen if we did away with birds only or charge it at £5 ahead more than competition price , put on proper comp targets as i did yesterday , as my concern is there are more and more people looking for silly averages on sunday outings which grounds listen to and hence soften the clays , which then in turn becomes a vicious cycle and before you know where we are at we will be running 100 reg clubs !!!!! hence a comment earlier a 91 in B class !!!!!

maybe it is time for head office to make some drastic changes 

steve

Thanks for confirming what I thought Steve about score submissions.

If you want to charge extra for Birds Only or take away Birds Only then I'm sorry but you'll do away with my custom. I'll shoot the strawbalers and club shoots and avoid the reg'd shoots as a few people here have said. I'm ok competing against similarly talented ( or untalented depending on your point of view ) shots. I initially found the idea of competing with my peers refreshing, the chance to occasionally claim a class win keeps the interest in the sport down the ranks. It's not all about the Nigel Hamiltons amongst us but to be frank you rarely see the lower classes wont with anything close to the cutoff points.

I'd rather you put on challenging and technical layouts ( as you are known to do ) that turn out a couple of high 90's that really test the field. I happily shoot those and occasionally get less than 50 but I know that it was a worthwhile day. Frankly I don't get the mentality that is happy with a guaranteed 100. Where's the challenge in that?

I shot at 15000 targets this year, that's around £5000 that I have contributed towards the cost of clays alone. Given that clays cost a lot less than £0.30 when bought by the pallet load I'd say extracting an extra £1 or £5 here or there because I don't want to give money away is simply taking the mickey.

If I was that way inclined I'd give the money to a lottery ticket, i know I've got about as much chance of winning big that way and certainly hitting 3 numbers pays better than 2nd or 3rd place in C class these days. :) :)

i agree we have to look after every class in the sporting world but do you not think it would be better if every week you compete againest the same talented people all on a level playing field of one entry fee 

dont panic im not saying we will do it , just throwing ideas around thats all 

Last edited by a moderator:
All sounds weird to me I thought reg was exactly that ?

I find this all a bit strange, I have been shooting Horne quite a bit this year and have always been charged £36 no matter what, that changed a couple of months back as I joined as a member where the price comes down quite a bit and is well worth joining if your regular there.

Maybe it's because I was never offered or asked about birds only I don't know.!

As for the clubhouse, is there a need for one? Other local clubs I have shot at have portacabins or a little shack, I can't ever see myself having a shower and sitting next to an open fire in my carpet slippers discussing how I missed that clay by a cats whisker whilst sipping a babycham to be honest..!

Nimbusgb quote:-

I shot at 15000 targets this year, that's around £5000 that I have contributed towards the cost of clays alone. Given that clays cost a lot less than £0.30 when bought by the pallet load I'd say extracting an extra £1 or £5 here or there because I don't want to give money away is simply taking the mickey.

I think if your that worried about a quid or five then your in the wrong sport.

15000 clays / year that's 288 clays / week. That's a lot of shooting.

Churchills charge £39.50 for comp. Gladly pay it. Save that on fuel alone.

BSG charge £43 / 100 as a guest at their club shoot can't even win anything there if not a member.

And your moaning about £31, I don't get it.

Mind you Horne is a dump compared to them, so I suppose every quid counts.

Personally I don't get the birds only thing, I feel that competition should just be that, personally If I were to go birds only I would feel I am not being competitive, there can not be the same amount of pressure & what's point ? No matter what class you compete in to win or come in the prize money gives you the satisfaction you have shot well & before I'm slated for saying this put yourself in the AA class every week you compete against some of the finest shots in the country and most talented and it's very hard to compete against them, but I would never go birds only even though it's rare to compete in the top 3, it's not good for the ground or prize money pot !!

@Saufboy

i agree we have to look after every class in the sporting world but do you not think it would be better if every week you compete againest the same talented people all on a level playing field of one entry fee 

dont panic im not saying we will do it , just throwing ideas around thats all
Yup. Take the prize money out of it completely! Let's face it no one is going to become a professional in anything but AAA class. :) :)

@Saufboy

Yup. Take the prize money out of it completely! Let's face it no one is going to become a professional in anything but AAA class. :) :)
AAA class what are you on, how can you make that statement, Ed is right there is no money in AA or AAA at majors etc and those boys (and girls) who have progressed to the highest level should be rewarded with better prize money, and the lower classes should subsidise this maybe it would prevent bagging & before you fire of I'm not in AA or AAA, but I admire shots who progress and compete at the highest level, watching shots like Ed Solomons and Chris Childerhouse etc is a pure delight and maybe if you took the time to do this you my learn something !! How can you shoot 15000 cartridges and still not compete ?? CPSA scrap birds only and have a better structure and make it pay for the best also, not some one in C class winning more than someone in AAA, be grateful lower class that you can rub shoulders with these guys !!!!

On a personal note, I just go because I enjoy it, I average around 60 so have no hope of winning anything unless it is absolutely peeing it down and no one in there right mind turns up, plus I can only afford to shoot once maybe twice a month so never going to get into the AA position.

I have to admit it does annoy me a little when C class is won by 90+ shooters who should really be up in a higher class but that's never going to change..!

AAA class what are you on, how can you make that statement, Ed is right there is no money in AA or AAA at majors etc and those boys (and girls) who have progressed to the highest level should be rewarded with better prize money, and the lower classes should subsidise this maybe it would prevent bagging & before you fire of I'm not in AA or AAA, but I admire shots who progress and compete at the highest level, watching shots like Ed Solomons and Chris Childerhouse etc is a pure delight and maybe if you took the time to do this you my learn something !! How can you shoot 15000 cartridges and still not compete ?? CPSA scrap birds only and have a better structure and make it pay for the best also, not some one in C class winning more than someone in AAA, be grateful lower class that you can rub shoulders with these guys !!!!
Touched a nerve have I? :)  

On a personal note, I just go because I enjoy it, I average around 60 so have no hope of winning anything unless it is absolutely peeing it down and no one in there right mind turns up, plus I can only afford to shoot once maybe twice a month so never going to get into the AA position. I have to admit it does annoy me a little when C class is won by 90+ shooters who should really be up in a higher class but that's never going to change..!
You must let me know where you are shooting and we can arrange to pick different grounds on the wet days! :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back