28 or 20 for 11 year old..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

My eldest son wishes to start shooting clays and then game next season (we have a syndicate shoot he could have a half gun on and a number of appropriate friends and relatives who would stand with him) he is 11 soon and although quite tall he isn’t strong enough for a Yildiz so we will be getting a Kofs with a junior stock (he managed the 12 on shooting simulator).  Clearly he is only going to get bigger and I will be ordering a full size stock in preparation, but should I go with 28 or 20? When I say me, of course I mean Santa... and I won’t be fitting the bigger stock to a 28 and using that myself....honest...

I got a 20b for mine. That was based on the weight of  guns available. I found  a sub 6lb 20b Medallist which weight wise was comparable to the 28bores  on offer and since the carts are less expensive it seemed the obvious choice. I've since seen a 12g lightweight RA EOS which at  sub 6lb would if I had known been an option.  Recoil is controlled by load size.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both, and an 11 years and 14 years old Grandsons,  that use them. As Paul says, there is only a few ozs. difference between the 28 and 20 bores. Having said that, I do not know the lowest 20 bore load. I have used 14 gram 28's and the 11 years old can cope with that in a 28", short stocked Yildiz O/U, weighing 5lbs 14ozs. The 14 years old is now using my 14 1/2" stocked 30" Beretta 20 bore, which weighs in at 6lbs 5ozs. and 21 grams.  I have 2 stocks for the Yildiz, with the intention of my using it for the odd game day. I have never used the full sized stock because my 20 bore shoots very well and it fits me, PLUS the cartridges are a lot cheaper than 28 bores.  I have steered clear of 'ultralight' 12's because of the recoil issues, even with 21 grams. As the 14 years old develops, he can use my Beretta 12 bore auto which will cycle 24 grams and it weighs 7lbs 4ozs. and if he shows any inclination to want to shoot game, he can take the 20 bore.  Neither of them are showing a great interest in shooting at present and I am not forcing the issue, leaving it to them to ask to go, as opposed to my telling them they are going. One word of caution though, the 11 years old has been put off shooting a bit after getting smacked in the face whilst headlifting, using the 14 gram cartridge in the 28 bore. He has fired over 200 cartridges through the gun and we had moved onto using 2 cartridges, shooting an 'on report' second target (with a good  gap in between). He shot the first, then lifted his head to seek the second bird and wallop, the gun smacked his cheek. Even 14 grams can kick an 11 years old  !  Just something to be wary about.   

Fantastic, thank you! Appreciate the need to let them develop their own interest and not putting them off, especially by getting clonked in the face!!

Back