28 gram versus 24 gram, what do you use?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Potter said:

This 21g v 24g v 28g which is the best type thread has been done to death on every shotgun shooting forum I've ever been on or lurked on.  A word of caution, this subject has the potential to cause serious insults to fly, tempers to fray and multiple bannings to be made. I am going to buy a tub of popcorn & let the fun begin!! Mr Potter PS21g for kids & invalids24g cos it's the rules28g everyone else. Simples
Can't turn out as bad as the thread i started last week/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif when i asked which cartridge

Let's see if we can buck the trend outlined by Mr Potter - and have a thread without name-calling or insults - this is my early warning.Personally - I favour the Players No. 6

ELVIS said:

At least i do have a witness a fuzzy?
/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Will be dropping in on Fat Pete before the shoot saturday morning to pick me up a few slabs of compaks! Great shell and certainly not bank busting/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif Fuzrat

I shoot whatever I have loaded in the particular case I am using with whatever length wads and powder I have and how much lead will fit and close nicely. One of my nicest trap loads turned out to be 26 gram 7s

If that makes sense. :huh:

Mick. :D

i shoot 27 gram hull super fast great little cartridge and not much recoil !!! also easy on the pocket.. :)

I wouldn't class the Express cartridges as fast, the observed velocity is about 1140fps. A friend recently bought some Gamebore XLR in 28gms, I'll have to try some and see what the recoil is like.
You won't like them.. The express are nice and soft..

I mainly shoot 24 gram through my o/u and leave 28's to my semi auto.

I don't feel any pain as such when I use 28's but I do find their extra 'punch' distracting more than anything, whereas when I use 24's I can get onto the second bird with no interference. All my best scores to date have been using 24 gram.

Ive tried a few different 24's and my favourites are Fiocchi Fblu with Hull Intercomps second. My only gripe is the manufactures don't seem to do 24gram in 8s which to me seems a real mistake as the slightly smaller shot would give you a similar pellet count to using a 28g 7.5.

Iggy.

My only gripe is the manufactures don't seem to do 24gram in 8s which to me seems a real mistake as the slightly smaller shot would give you a similar pellet count to using a 28g 7.5.

Iggy.
Agree completely, just goes to show how little grasp of the finer points some of them have.

Agree completely, just goes to show how little grasp of the finer points some of them have.
2 words, Victory Compak ;) available in 7.5, 8 and 9. Lovely 24g shell, nice high brass, black case with gold writing on 7.5 and white case with the 8's. Packaged in boxes of 25 in an outer slab box with a plastic liner to keep out any damp all for £159 per thou :D

Shot these a few years back and will be going back to them when my stock of olympics runs out just to drop a bit of recoil off as I'm not planning on putting a recoil reducer back on my new stock :)

I mainly shoot 24 gram through my o/u and leave 28's to my semi auto.

I don't feel any pain as such when I use 28's but I do find their extra 'punch' distracting more than anything, whereas when I use 24's I can get onto the second bird with no interference. All my best scores to date have been using 24 gram.

Ive tried a few different 24's and my favourites are Fiocchi Fblu with Hull Intercomps second. My only gripe is the manufactures don't seem to do 24gram in 8s which to me seems a real mistake as the slightly smaller shot would give you a similar pellet count to using a 28g 7.5.

Iggy.
Eley First,Blues,VIP's.....Gamebore White gold xlr.....Express HV, Super comp...Hull Pro one......RC 2. RC4 But a few at differing price ranges. All 24 gram 8's.

The trouble is getting them guys :frown: , they're either too busy with the game season or say not enough call for 24g apparently :frown: .

Fuzrat, I used to be a Victory 550 junkie :wink: :D would love to have another swing with the make but Southern money is no good for the importers it seems. :???:

big pete at clays r us in Thame does them and its probably the only shell he has a guaranteed stock level of (Elvis goes through em like a dose of salts on the woodies :.: ) not really close enough for you though and he doesnt open Sundays else you could combine a Hornet trip.

The Hull 24g Intercomp does in fact come in 8s as I use to shoot nothing else.

Also I tried them again last week at Mere in Wiltshire.

Still a great cartridge with very low recoil. ;)

Am not a competion shooter am soley clays only for fun and practise for game but have always shot 28gram on clays. I tried 24gram in my O/U and got on fine with them as I did with 21 gram.

How ever i couldnt settle on a O/U that I was entirely comfortable with so what I settled on that I am comfortable with is a Benelli M2 semi auto which wont cycle 21grams yet so i use 28gram (but not hull comp x`s as it doesnt always like them either) but havent had chance to try 24gram cant find anyone with them around here!

ATB

Matt

Back