100 Sporting CPSA - Prescott Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be great, if you don't mind?

Entries are 10-2 so I will get there for 9:30 in case the parking fills up. See you then!

Last years reg shoots were all squadded due to the layout of the ground available / being used would imagine same applies, although some ground improvements / enlargements were ongoing. Must add they are quite good and getting the squads, full gang of chums or a mixture moving so not stuck twiddling thumbs, the food is usual menu well cooked I'm told ( I shot with some BIG eaters :) ) hoping to get there am, didn't shoot there very well last time out so wanting to get that monkey off my back.

Last years reg shoots were all squadded due to the layout of the ground available / being used would imagine same applies, although some ground improvements / enlargements were ongoing. Must add they are quite good and getting the squads, full gang of chums or a mixture moving so not stuck twiddling thumbs, the food is usual menu well cooked I'm told ( I shot with some BIG eaters :) ) hoping to get there am, didn't shoot there very well last time out so wanting to get that monkey off my back.
I thought it'd be squadded too, so emailed Dan to book on, but he responded that they've got scorers on the stands for this one.

Went today, thought it was tougher than the two I shot here last year, I was very untidy on all of the stands bar two where sad to say my old 50+ eyes just didnt catch up with the close green targets let alone allow me a chance to get some sort of shot off.

Will be back for the next one though, and the ones after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot this this morning with Choke and his father. To a complete novice it seemed like a great course apart from the green clays needing to be taken quickly over grass!

As ever the team running it were a great bunch and I will hopefully be shooting the rest of their registered shoots!

On a side note:

As I am a new CPSA member and have now shot a total of two shoots totalling 220 clays; am I actually competing against anyone or am I still unclassified? I assume (not that it will happen) that I am not eligible for any prizes until I have an actual classification? 

Oh I should add that I managed 50/100 which was bang on my desired result. Not only that but I managed to straight a stand for the first time. All in all a good day for me!

Shot this this morning with Choke and his father. To a complete novice it seemed like a great course apart from the green clays needing to be taken quickly over grass!

As ever the team running it were a great bunch and I will hopefully be shooting the rest of their registered shoots!

On a side note:

As I am a new CPSA member and have now shot a total of two shoots totalling 220 clays; am I actually competing against anyone or am I still unclassified? I assume (not that it will happen) that I am not eligible for any prizes until I have an actual classification? 
Think you need to shoot 300 targets before getting a classification. Don't worry too much about that though. Just keep shooting and enjoying and the scores will take care of themselves... 

Once you have shot 300 registered targets you can ask for a temporary classification. I wouldn't bother if I were you as the period ends this month anyway. You will have a classification for June 1st.

We went today for the first time, really liked it, bought a fleece missed a few, had a moan in the office about the green clays in the woods, but unfortunately we cant return as the speedbumps are too tall for my car.

Went today, thought it was tougher than the two I shot here last year, I was very untidy on all of the stands bar two where sad to say my old 50+ eyes just didnt catch up with the close green targets let alone allow me a chance to get some sort of shot off.

Will be back for the next one though, and the ones after that.
I reckon that it was a tad harder than anything I've seen set by Dan there before, but still think that there was something for everyone.

As for the green clays on the bank in the woods.......I loved them, RDP seemed shocked that he'd found some and my dad couldn't see them!

I went there for the first time today, and it was an impressive course. The layout was very easy to navigate as it was simply up and a down a single track. The targets were good, however in some places it felt a bit too easy, but my 76 is telling me otherwise!

For me, what makes a good CPSA shoot, and I'm sure other shooters will agree with me, is the quality of referee on each stand. Not just in regards of accurate and fair scoring, but also in friendliness when walking around. All of the refs today really were a real credit to the company as they were happy to engage in conversation and seemed to put shooters at ease when they approached the stands. It really does make the shoot 10x more enjoyable.

If I fancy another 2 hour round trip then I will definitely return.

Hatcher

For those not on FB, scores

High Gun Chris Childerhouse 90

AA

DEvans 85, P Smith 83 and R Webb & W Cork 82

A

Jason McLean 89, just two shy of HG well shot buddy, P Stokes 85, S Bullock 84

B

K Cummins 77, M Tipper & S Usher 72, N Durn 72

Joanne Herbert 71, D Wintle 57, C Bendall 56

yours truly 55 in C, just off a place, surprised at that!  And i dropped virtually all 18 green targets :-( must add I was sloppy on other stands so only oneself to blame for not placing.

re the green targets, my problems with picking these targets up in flight, not helped (hindsight) was as it was overcast I didn't wear any tinted glasses but a lair of heavy prescription clear glasses, so this is my thoughts / comments, yes I heard before I shot that they were causing some sight issues, even two of the trappers cautioned same, then I see Jason and Chris Bubb hit 17/18 into stand promptly blank :-( when watching from the track they looked awkward but not overly hard, when I got into the stand I just couldn't pick up the flight, my eyes in the background just not "catching" the green flashing across the green undergrowth background of the incomer then affected by the green report "strobing" the line of trees.

the second stand of green clays, first a teal then a l-R crosser, followed Charlie Gilder, Mark Thomad and Jo Herbert all 10ex10, into stand and I onky just see the start of the teal luckily it's not too far out and instinct shot it, the l-R crosser again all I see is a blinking green flash as it passes thorough the tree line, I could still be there now and not hit it.

So main lesson(s) here is to have at all times a selection of tinted frames that one can pick to assist in the "seeing" of coloured targets, and even if a stand is "blanked" forget it move on and take one stand, one pair one target at a time, not saying my inner rage caused me to drop some other targets, I just know my inner rage caused by my visual impairment affected my next two or three stands.

As before though nice ground, will go back, as gif the speedbumps I drive a Astra, not the easiest of access roads but managed it ok

I was told by some very competent locals (before this last shoot) that the targets were not great here, so not one worth my travelling for. It seems this one was a tougher shoot, perhaps not in a good way in places? Hopefully the ground evolves and finds its happy point.

Latest posts

Back