Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo

Eley Select (Properly clean)

5 posts in this topic

Hi

Managed to get a half day from work today so went to Bislay at Braidwood ( Local ground) for a quick blast.  Went with the Select First 24 gram plastic wad as they  were some of the cheapest available. I felt they shot well if a little abrupt in recoil  compared to the Fiocchi TT1 I shot last time out.  

What really impressed me was how clean they were,  When i got home and inspected the barrels they were spotless,   no steaks, nothing.  It was as if I never shot the gun.  I was under the impression that Eley cartridges were meant to be a bit dirty ( I could be wrong on that one) but i have to say they are the cleanest I have shot though my MK38 sporter.  

What's the experience of others  with these or other cartridges with regard to how clean they are?

Regards

Damon 

Edited by Damo

I Found these to be very dirty, tons of unburnt powder and streaky.. nearly as bad as Olympic blue.  Maybe the later ones are better?

Many people are raving about Eley Superbs being exactly that.

I shoot a mix of Fiocchi TT1s and Eley 1st Select and Olympic Blues.

Barrels seem to be reasonably clean with any of them, just a light wipe through required,

I use 1st Select and never had n issue. Sure the barrels need a clean, but a very quick one. Personally I find them a great price and a very good cartridge.