Shooting Glasses ....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Supercharged

Well having bought a nice new shooting stick I'm now in the market for a decent pair of glasses .

Can I have some recommendations please , after watching one of the national rounds today it seems that most people go for the frameless type .

Cheers Rich

Last edited:
Pilla seam the most popular now but a lot of money too.
Oakleys are good value if you can pick up a set off eBay.

All depends on budget...

Don't agree , sold 2 pairs of pilla now they are too heavy and uncomfy , I bought a set of Randolph falcon half the cost a lot lighter and lenses are brilliant

Depends which discipline you shoot. If you shoot trap Randolph, Zeiss or Decot's are ideal as they better suit the discipline. Anything else then Oakleys are good. Pilla's are all the rage at the moment just as Oakleys were a few years ago. They're good but no better than glasses half the price.

If Randolph's are what your after, buy the XL's from the states. There a better frame and lens than the current offerings but not available through the UK importer, York Guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prescription - oakleys from ed Lyons
Non prescription - pilla/hidef etc....also oakleys.....also rangers

I don't shoot any particular discipline ( I,m a Target shooter in the Olympic discipline 3 positions ) myself and a few club members are shooting between competitions so we shoot Skeet and Trap or whatever is available on the day . So looking fir a good all rounder pair of glasses tbh

Last edited:
Are the oakleys from ed Lyons expensive? I wear contact lenses and I never considered where glasses with my prescription....blind as a bat

Are the oakleys from ed Lyons expensive? I wear contact lenses and I never considered where glasses with my prescription....blind as a bat
That's a " how longs a piece of string " question, as the prescription element can run away with money ( variofocals myself etc ) as for shooting, personally use contact lenses and Oakleys, have bought a few so have a choice of lenses.

Tom my glasses are prescription (Oakley flak jackets) and wouldn't change them for the world. Depending on lenses you would be looking at approx £200 from Ed, who is the only man to see.

I don't get the hi defs personally- massively over priced, not very stylish (in my view) and I think there is far more marketing bollocks behind the various lenses than anything else. Yes there are some colours that help pick the clay out better than others, but they aren't magic!!

Try a few options and see what you like best.

I'm somewhat known as a tackle tart (I buy a lot of gear)

I have had nearly fifteen differing styles of glasses.

The best so far are the current Pilla Outlaw with the 46N lens

All round great, this weekend we had bright sun, shade and cloud.

Now these aren't going to magically add ten clays on the card, but they are comfortable light on the face and give clarity to the clay.

Perfectly adequate glasses can be bought relatively inexpensively such as Top Gun £45 a complete set of coloured lenses  or Browning single lens set £40 .

But the point  most people miss is that as you get older and the eyes start to go we need clear lenses to allow as much light in as possible.

I personally think that Pilla Hi-defs should be re-branded again and called Pillocks to describe the people who are fooled by marketing hype.

If you want decent Sports spectacles you will be fine with Oakleys or Randolph's 

Perfectly adequate glasses can be bought relatively inexpensively such as Top Gun £45 a complete set of coloured lenses  or Browning single lens set £40 .

But the point  most people miss is that as you get older and the eyes start to go we need clear lenses to allow as much light in as possible.

I personally think that Pilla Hi-defs should be re-branded again and called Pillocks to describe the people who are fooled by marketing hype.

If you want decent Sports spectacles you will be fine with Oakleys or Randolph's 
I have two pairs of Revision sawfly (Police/Army issue) £25 they are equally as good. 

Three lens options Clear Dark Yellow.

Good for old timers and young guns alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm somewhat known as a tackle tart (I buy a lot of gear)

I have had nearly fifteen differing styles of glasses.

The best so far are the current Pilla Outlaw with the 46N lens

All round great, this weekend we had bright sun, shade and cloud.

Now these aren't going to magically add ten clays on the card, but they are comfortable light on the face and give clarity to the clay.
I,m abit you like you Jem !

Back