Beretta 694 Problem

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigginspadger

Hi, I went to my local club shoot today, taking my almost new Beretta 694 Anniversary Edition, which I had previously shot a 50 bird round without any issues last Sunday. Weather conditions this morning were almost perfect, sunny, dry, little breeze, warm, onto the first stand- I shot 3 on report pairs, no problem, then, the gun jammed, locked solid, the top lever immovable, both barrels had fired successfully, but the gun simply would not open! My shooting partner said “ this happened to me once, tap the buttstock lightly on the ground (as you would to re-set the inertia trigger if dry firing the gun), and low and behold, the top lever moved easily, and the gun opened, ejecting both fired cartridges, thinking this is just a one off incident, I continued the shoot, a 5 stand 50 bird sporting layout, anyway, this turned out to be far from an isolated incident, and infuriatingly, this continued to occur randomly on each stand thereafter, after shooting two or three pairs, ejecting the cartridges successfully each time, the gun jammed locked solid, the only remedy was as before, to tap the buttstock on the ground, thereby releasing something in the guns action, which then allowed the top lever to operate as it should, and the gun opened. Needless to say, I am taking this gun back to the supplying dealer to get sorted, it’s very disappointing for a £3.5k gun, and although under warranty, will probably require unwanted delays attempting to rectify the obvious defect. What I would like to ask of the more knowledgeable people on this forum is, do you think this to be a not uncommon defect, and is it a relatively simple straightforward fix, which shouldn’t need extensive repair, or even a replacement gun? Thankyou!

Try some Fiocchis, if they dont get the inertia to work, nothing will! Mates 694 forend split today from top to bottom, only 6 months old but guess that could happen to any gun

I know 4 people with 694 s , one of them had trouble with a split fore-end. But it was so tight from new it near enough took 2 people to remove it and it happened on a sim day ( Too hot ? )

I have not heard of any gun jamming problems on them, I put Fiocchi F blacks, Officials and Rossa s through mine and havent had any problems. Touch wood

Sounds like something mechanical has gone amiss internally.  Definitely back to supplier.

Try some Fiocchis, if they dont get the inertia to work, nothing will! Mates 694 forend split today from top to bottom, only 6 months old but guess that could happen to any gun
My mates grade 5 Miroku stock broke last weekend, lovely piece of wood as well.

Hi Charlie Dog….Thankyou for your response, the inertia trigger was working as it should, the gun fired both barrels without a problem, it locked up solid, jammed, after firing both barrels, I’ve never had a problem like this, with any gun, new or previously owned, (I’ve had lots in thirty years), and used every cartridge brand there is, it’s not something I’ve encountered before, certainly not with a Beretta, it’s definitely a mechanical defect within the action, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem with a 694, or any other over and under for that matter, who would be able to enlighten me as to the cause of such an issue.

Amber Hill had the same problem with her Beretta shooting in the rain, she ended up using something to knock the lever to open the gun.

It's up to you what you do when you take it back to the dealers but I think I would ask for my money back.

Hi, Amber Hills problem was caused by shooting in the rain, the stock wood swelling in the wet conditions, which caused the top lever to impact on the top of the stock underneath the strap, there was insufficient clearance between the top lever and the wood, an issue that was subsequently simple to rectify. The top lever on my gun does not foul the wood on the stock, it has more than adequate clearance, it appears to be mechanically locked from turning due to some technical defect within the gun action, I was just wondering if any forum member had experience of similar issues. I will be returning it to the supplying dealer, no question, Thankyou  for your response tho, much appreciated.

As a knock on the butt pad cured the problem it won't be (as I understand it) the same as the AH issue which was swelling of the woodwork meaning the top lever had nowhere to go. It also should not be anything to do with the inertia system as that operates between shots. If it's an occasional issue it should be a simple fix - a bit of fettling by a decent gunsmith and as the actions are 686 like it should be a known issue already. I would send it back as it sounds like it might be a new part to me so stock off and a bit of a Pro Ferrum clean with the stock off is unlikely to do the (DIY) job. It might be worthwhile trying to open the gun after a single barrel or tapping it elsewhere but that may not tell you anything you need to know.

Mine's has been bomb proof - touches his head at this point.

I have a 686 essential which had an internia problem and it simply would not fire the second barrel. It still struggles with lightweight cartridges even though it has been given a once over.

Just one point - if it goes back a gunsmith will look at it. They will give the whole gun a once over. Never any harm in that if it's new.

Piggin - Just realised you had posted re the AH issue whilst I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Amber Hills problem was caused by shooting in the rain, the stock wood swelling in the wet conditions, which caused the top lever to impact on the top of the stock underneath the strap, there was insufficient clearance between the top lever and the wood, an issue that was subsequently simple to rectify. The top lever on my gun does not foul the wood on the stock, it has more than adequate clearance, it appears to be mechanically locked from turning due to some technical defect within the gun action, I was just wondering if any forum member had experience of similar issues. I will be returning it to the supplying dealer, no question, Thankyou  for your response tho, much appreciated.
I prefer it when there is a total problem like yours has. Clearly something is set wrongly from new (or has fallen off). I’m sure it will be obvious once pulled apart. It’s worse when something is occasional or sticky. If it were me, I would shoot two cartridges through it and take it in there jammed. Otherwise the conversation starts with the shop opening the apparently normal gun.

As a knock on the butt pad cured the problem it won't be (as I understand it) the same as the AH issue which was swelling of the woodwork meaning the top lever had nowhere to go. It also should not be anything to do with the inertia system as that operates between shots. If it's an occasional issue it should be a simple fix - a bit of fettling by a decent gunsmith and as the actions are 686 like it should be a known issue already. I would send it back as it sounds like it might be a new part to me so stock off and a bit of a Pro Ferrum clean with the stock off is unlikely to do the (DIY) job. It might be worthwhile trying to open the gun after a single barrel or tapping it elsewhere but that may not tell you anything you need to know.

Mine's has been bomb proof - touches his head at this point.

I have a 686 essential which had an internia problem and it simply would not fire the second barrel. It still struggles with lightweight cartridges even though it has been given a once over.

Just one point - if it goes back a gunsmith will look at it. They will give the whole gun a once over. Never any harm in that if it's new.

Piggin - Just realised you had posted re the AH issue whilst I was typing.
Thankyou for that Freddyip……much appreciated!

I prefer it when there is a total problem like yours has. Clearly something is set wrongly from new (or has fallen off). I’m sure it will be obvious once pulled apart. It’s worse when something is occasional or sticky. If it were me, I would shoot two cartridges through it and take it in there jammed. Otherwise the conversation starts with the shop opening the apparently normal gun.
Hello Will, Thankyou for your reply, that’s brilliant advice!!- I must admit I did think what would happen when the gunsmith had the gun in his hands, and it opened just as it should!!! He wouldn’t perhaps think there’s an obvious problem, put it down to owner/user abuse/ignorance! 🤨 and then not investigate any further! I’ve just spoken with a guy at GMK, his opinion is that something is preventing the trigger from returning to its normal position after firing?- this fail safe mechanism is designed to prevent accidental firing of the gun if its dropped etc……….hmmm……anyway, hopefully when it reaches the gunsmith, in its locked and jammed position, he will be able to resolve the issue, meanwhile, I’ll be without the gun…………Thankyou again for your help…..

The 6xx family Berettas have a "U" shaped locking bolt. Most of it is out of sight but the legs are tapered at the ends which are just visible either side of the standing breech. When closing the gun they project forward into the holes either side of the chambers. The lugs are conical so that that they only go in far enough lock the gun securely. It's possible that one or both of the conical lugs is binding in the holes.

I've had 3 Berettas through my cabinet and always used to put a tiny dab of grease on the locking lugs.

Brownings and Mirokus can have a similar problem with their locking crossbolt binding in the barrel bight because one part is angled and the other not. 

I doubt it’s the locking lugs if a tap on the floor sorts it. 

The only issue with my idea of taking the gun in jammed is proving it’s not containing live shells. Bit of trust needed there. Or does it do it if dry fired?

I doubt it’s the locking lugs if a tap on the floor sorts it. 

The only issue with my idea of taking the gun in jammed is proving it’s not containing live shells. Bit of trust needed there. Or does it do it if dry fired?
That is an understandable concern Will, taking an assembled gun into a Gunsmith, in a Gunslip of course, would under normal circumstances not be my acceptable way of doing things, but in this circumstance, I’ll make certain the Gunsmith is forewarned and aware of the predicament, and that when I present the gun to him he will know what to expect……

Hi Will…

I forgot to mention, it doesn’t lock up or jamm solid when dry fired, only after shooting both barrels with live cartridges……
All the more reason to look at the locking lugs jamming as this is exactly the symptom when it happened years ago to my Miroku. Try loading and closing the gun, check where the top lever sits, fire both barrels and see if the top lever has moved a little nearer the 6 o'clock. If it has then tell the gunsmith. He'll know what to do!

I had this problem on my new Beretta and all the shop did was smear a little grease on the mating surfaces and the gun has worked perfectly for the last three years and around 12,000 carts. Maybe the guns are assembled dry and just need some lubrication.

I would try some grease before I sent my gun away.

Years ago, Beretta instruction manuals advised new owners to remove the packing grease, which was orange in colour with lubricating grease.

Maybe that will cure it?

I had this problem on my new Beretta and all the shop did was smear a little grease on the mating surfaces and the gun has worked perfectly for the last three years and around 12,000 carts. Maybe the guns are assembled dry and just need some lubrication.

I would try some grease before I sent my gun away.
The gun fires both barrels, 6-8 cartridges no problem, top lever operates perfectly, then suddenly locks up completely, it’s nothing to do with a lubrication issue, (if only it were that simple), because tapping the buttstock firmly on the floor then allows the top lever to operate normally……

Years ago, Beretta instruction manuals advised new owners to remove the packing grease, which was orange in colour with lubricating grease.

Maybe that will cure it?
I don’t see how that would cure the problem, when the gun operates as it should when tapping the butt stock on the floor, freeing up the jammed up top lever……

Latest posts

Back