Shotgun certificate renewal ( photos )

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad dog

Hi, when renewing a shotgun certificate how many passport size photos do you need to supply & do any of them need to be signed etc ? I have tried emailing/phoning my firearms department but it is easier to contact god 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I know the feeling. I have to get the right angle or I have more chins than the Hong Kong phonebook. 
Haircut by Mrs W yesterday. As she put the cape on me "Lift your chin up so I can do the cape up........................and the other one."

And as for photos, I'm surprised my licence application wasn't rejected from the photo. Looks like I should have been holding a board with a number on it.

It should say on your renewal how many photos are required but online they would only need one when you think about it. I have another 2 years before I need to renew my SGC and FAC so both the doctors report will be a new aspect and online for the first time which I am not looking forward to.

Regarding contacting the firearms licensing dept, I understand that a number of forces have stopped answering the phones before 1pm, mine is one such force and I think not available on a Friday / Saturday, Humberside is my area but to be honest the team are under great pressure with staff shortages which I totally understand so just keep trying.

Phil

It should say on your renewal how many photos are required but online they would only need one when you think about it. I have another 2 years before I need to renew my SGC and FAC so both the doctors report will be a new aspect and online for the first time which I am not looking forward to.

Regarding contacting the firearms licensing dept, I understand that a number of forces have stopped answering the phones before 1pm, mine is one such force and I think not available on a Friday / Saturday, Humberside is my area but to be honest the team are under great pressure with staff shortages which I totally understand so just keep trying.

Phil
I used Medicert for GP report as my GP refused to do it. Found Medicert to be very efficient. Well worth using.

my FEO dragged their heels when it came to granting the Renewal. I didn’t actually receive the paper copy until after my current one had expired. Also, no home/cabinet/gun check this time either…. Just a telephone call from the FEO. 🤷

I used Medicert for GP report as my GP refused to do it. Found Medicert to be very efficient. Well worth using.

my FEO dragged their heels when it came to granting the Renewal. I didn’t actually receive the paper copy until after my current one had expired. Also, no home/cabinet/gun check this time either…. Just a telephone call from the FEO. 🤷
As a matter of interest, how long did you have to wait from Medicert as their website says up to 2 months.

Mine came back within about 4 weeks. I thought it was a very good service.
Well that's good as in my region, the firearms dept send the renewal forms out here at least 12 weeks before the due date which would allow for Medicert to return the completed statement.  I must say that as we are now online only from the last qtr of 2022 so no clue how notice will be served, give me the paper version any day of the week, says this out of date old fart 🤔

Phil

Well that's good as in my region, the firearms dept send the renewal forms out here at least 12 weeks before the due date which would allow for Medicert to return the completed statement.  I must say that as we are now online only from the last qtr of 2022 so no clue how notice will be served, give me the paper version any day of the week, says this out of date old fart 🤔

Phil
I sent away for my Medicert as soon as I go my renewal notice (16 weeks prior to it ending). My renewal notice was sent by post from Gloucestershire Firearms. I had the option of filling out the paper renewal or doing it online. Online was easy, you just upload the Medicert and photo and fill out the sections.

Haircut by Mrs W yesterday. As she put the cape on me "Lift your chin up so I can do the cape up........................and the other one."

And as for photos, I'm surprised my licence application wasn't rejected from the photo. Looks like I should have been holding a board with a number on it.
They add that afterwards   !      🤫

I just got one of the Grandkids to do min on line for me.

The downside to the online photo and laser printing the certificate is that they are crap documents .  I have a double sided  leather certificate holder one Side SGC one side FAC.  The police crest ,  half the photo image and some of the text is now firmly stuck to the clear plastic in the holder .  Oh for the days when you actually got issued with a good quality plastic license holder and a preprinted document with a laminated photo ! 

I don't understand why a GP would not do a report. Medicert will use the Access to Medical Records Act to get your GP records - no fee unless the request is "excessive" - so reviewing the records and charging for the report is a much better option financially for a GP.

I don't understand why a GP would not do a report. Medicert will use the Access to Medical Records Act to get your GP records - no fee unless the request is "excessive" - so reviewing the records and charging for the report is a much better option financially for a GP.
Exactly. They will HAVE to do it anyway......so why not get paid for doing it.

Because the GPs don’t want to take responsibility should anything go seriously wrong. Outsourcing it to Medicert absolves them from any blame….

Because the GPs don’t want to take responsibility should anything go seriously wrong. Outsourcing it to Medicert absolves them from any blame….
EXACTLY  !  We have seen what happens when the Police get it wrong and the wheel comes off........blame anyone except the real culprit. Gp's are not prepared to put themselves in that position, and who can blame them  ? However things are changed, for better or worse, the Shooter will ultimately pay the price.

The downside to the online photo and laser printing the certificate is that they are crap documents .  I have a double sided  leather certificate holder one Side SGC one side FAC.  The police crest ,  half the photo image and some of the text is now firmly stuck to the clear plastic in the holder .  Oh for the days when you actually got issued with a good quality plastic license holder and a preprinted document with a laminated photo ! 
I agree totally, I had thought of putting a clear sticky sheet on the front of my tickets to stop transfer but what the hell, the police know most people keep their tickets in a double wallet so why use toner that comes off.  

Latest posts

Back