Guidance please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

Good morning all, I hope everyone is well. 

I am looking for some advice/thoughts, preferably from someone who has been there and got the tee shirt.

I am considering upgrading my current gun having been left a small sum in a will, at present I shoot a 32" MK38 with adjustable stock, generally my LOP is around 14.75, I tend towards tight chokes however I open up a bit for skeet as I use one gun for all disciplines, the gun suits me and those who know me will know how capable the gun is.

I would like to spend probably about £5k including part ex, or £3.4k if I keep the MK38, I have the time to put into a replacement gun as I have just retired (early), I'd prefer second hand as you get more bang for your buck, a couple of thoughts are an MX8 or a Guerini Apex, I do however like a wide rib (just my personal preference). Any thoughts from anyone who has been through this would be appreciated. Thanks,  Growl.

Not in the same boat as you regarding a new gun as I had to replace my car a few weeks ago but my choice would also have been the MX8 as well. Had I gone that route, It was my thought to visit The Gunroom in Holme on Spalding Moor and Malton to borrow a perazzi and take it to East Yorks SG which they own to try a few out on the trap and skeet ranges but of course it depends where you live.  

Good luck in your search.

Phil

Try lots. Buy the one that feels right. Sounds obvious but it’s easy to get distracted by the appeal of a brand then find it doesn’t really suit you. I agree that an adjustable 694 is hard to fault and good value. I’ve had many guns that cost more and I love mine. 

Sorry but i just don't like the idea of a beretta, always preferred the feel of the older Browning and Miroku 

I’ve had a 32” Browning Ultra XS pro for a couple of months and I have to admit it’s one of the best guns to shoot I’ve had and I’ve had a few including Krieghoff and Perazzi. I’s got a nice wide rib and just about everything adjustable you might need. However I shoot it with no added adjustment at all except for the longest pad.

They do seem to vary a bit in weight, mine is about 8lb 6oz but some are down to 8lb 1oz/2oz.

Very similar in many ways to your Miroku but they do handle very well in my opinion.

I know we all get that itch that needs scratching from time to time but as someone who has been there and done it more than once, I can assure you that you won’t find a gun that makes you shoot better. Stick with the MK and spend the cash on shooting more and enjoying it. Honestly it’s the best way I’ve spent thousands on guns over 40 years of shooting which I could have spent on cartridges and shooting more. 

I would go to somewhere like Ian Coleys and just try both guns you are thinking about before you part with any money 

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of moving gun is not to improve my score par-se, it is to have a gun that will be similar but 'nicer' it will be a permanent reminder of my mother, buying cartridges will I agree improve my shooting, however when they're gone they're gone. I just don't want to shoot worse if that makes sense 

You possibly have the 'Perazzi itch', I'm also afflicted and switched more than 10 years ago from a Browning Ultra XS Titanium Prestige which was also a pretty fine gun.

Buying a used Perazzi gets you a gun that feels different in a way that's hard to describe - like buying a tool that's purpose made for the job intended and a joy to handle.

Buying a Perazzi used is a great idea they are superbly engineered and a gunsmith can overhaul back to virtually 'as new'.  Perazzi will make a gun for an end customer to specification for no extra-cost and that means one has to be careful when purchasing second-hand.   Every component can be user specified, take bore size for example, both of mine are 12g, one is bored 18.4mm and the latest is bored 18.6mm (the barrels are stamped adjacent to the monobloc with the size):   The attached image is my 32" High Tech S, bored at 18.6mm.   Perazzi enable the customer to specify the weight of the barrels in grams (1.600 here) and of course chokes too - the three round symbols stamped on the tubes indicate Perazzi's intentions (usually wildly incorrect 😆).  Ribs between the barrels and the top rib are customer specified, trigger and foresight blades and of course all the woodwork too.

So buying used needs care, eyes wide open as to the spec of the gun.   Both of my guns (the other is a 33" MX12) have documentation with them from the factory for the stock measurements - but nothing for the metal bits.

The difference between MX8 and MX12 - RUAG (UK Perazzi importer)

MX8 - leaf spring triggers, drop out trigger group. 99% of them don't have a barrel selector (if fitted, its behind the trigger guard), by default the gun shoots bottom barrel 1st, appropriately choked for Skeet only then that isn't an issue - if you shoot ESP too then you might be wiser to consider the MX12 instead.

MX12 - coils spring triggers, fixed trigger group, barrel selector integrated with the safety in the top tang - aside from MX12 being engraved on the left side of the gun - looks identical to an MX8.

HTS Barrels.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, great information, appreciate your help, working on the guns isn't too much of an issue, I'm a time served aerospace toolmaker and have made quite a few 'hard to obtain' parts for a number of guns over the year, thank you as well for the MX12 details, all the best, Graham 

MK11 worth a look? 
Thanks Will, I do like the look and will view one (or two) just not a big fan of a narrow (game) rib on a gun, cheers, Graham. 

Back