Essex Masters 2023

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perazman

No mention of the above on here yet. Has anyone been?

I've always wanted to go down for it but it seemed to attract some negative views last year. From the outside looking in it seems to have a bit of an 80's feel to it! Perhaps the cpsa have spoilt me, but seeing a simple list of scores in order/class would be nice!

PM.

No mention of the above on here yet. Has anyone been?

I've always wanted to go down for it but it seemed to attract some negative views last year. From the outside looking in it seems to have a bit of an 80's feel to it! Perhaps the cpsa have spoilt me, but seeing a simple list of scores in order/class would be nice!

PM.
not sure how to follow scores etc    would be nice to see  !! 

Essex Masters and the FSP Grand Prix at Hodnet both use a big white board and marker pen for scores. It shouldn’t annoy me so much but it’s pathetic in this day and age. 
Agree with Will, if smaller grounds can do it on their shoots, why can’t the bigger shoots do it.

Essex Masters and the FSP Grand Prix at Hodnet both use a big white board and marker pen for scores. It shouldn’t annoy me so much but it’s pathetic in this day and age. 
That's the point I was trying to make in a subtle way! 

The whole point of shooting a competition is to measure your score against others. Literally thousands of random scores on whiteboards is impossible to make anything of.

Even reg shoots that don't post live scores wind me up! 

PM.

I started shooting comps in 2005. I couldn’t believe how poor scores reporting was back then and for many years after that. It was a few days minimum before CPSA scores were on the website and some grounds took a week or more. The CPSA system was poor, so even a good ground couldn’t get a Sunday shoot scores up until Tuesday. Social media wasn’t really going at this time. But the main issue was the culture. I had come from motor racing where results were printed out and handed to competitors asap. Grounds didn’t seem to have any urgency and it drove me mad. Eventually some grounds started emailing scores out but it was often Monday afternoon or worse. I had a discussion with one ground and they asked me when I expected to see the scores. I said “this evening” and the lady’s jaw fell open. She gave me a lecture about her long day and how she then had to make dinner at home before she could type them up etc. I said well you’ve taken £5000+ today from customers who want to see how they did, so just buy a take away and get typing. Didn’t go down well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's one shoot that I haven't been to in over 6 months that still don't get the scores up the same day. Fortunately most are pretty quick. I think the last time I shot Oxfordshire SS, my scores were on  the CPSA website before I'd left the car park!

For big shoots like Essex, a photo of a whiteboard is poor. Even if they didn't/couldn't sort out a proper website, a spreadsheet on a cloud server for everyone to see would take minutes to sort out.

There's one shoot that I haven't been to in over 6 months that still don't get the scores up the same day. Fortunately most are pretty quick. I think the last time I shot Oxfordshire SS, my scores were on  the CPSA website before I'd left the car park!

For big shoots like Essex, a photo of a whiteboard is poor. Even if they didn't/couldn't sort out a proper website, a spreadsheet on a cloud server for everyone to see would take minutes to sort out.
It’s unprofessional pig-headedness. I get that the shoot owner might be a dinosaur who thinks internet banking is witchcraft and the only use for a laptop is swatting flies, but you just have to get hold of somebody younger to do it for you. No excuse. 

Will,

Sorry , I have to disagree with you.

Hodnet usually do the scores online on a Tuesday due to Monday being a closed for business day.

I could go on and on and get into a rant but I think for everyone's benefit it is better not to. 

If Steve Lovatt can normally get results up by 6pm or so on shoot day why can't the others? Last week at Westfield, Steve was entering scores much of the day and even though it was a big entry, scores were still up early evening.

Coming from the computer industry I've always been stunned at the extent to which the shooting industry is mostly such a bunch of backward thinking Luddites.

Will,

Sorry , I have to disagree with you.

Hodnet usually do the scores online on a Tuesday due to Monday being a closed for business day.

I could go on and on and get into a rant but I think for everyone's benefit it is better not to. 
But Peter, I’m sure we can discuss without any regrets old mate. 

What has Monday got to do with it? Should all be done and dusted Sunday evening.

The modern system involves adding the scores in the computer as the cards are handed in. This runs live, so a shooter can see their score minutes after finishing on their mobile phone, before the event has even finished. The old slog of having to sort and type up the whole job after the shoot is gone. The ground just closes the shoot scores before they leave for the day. No excuses anymore. 

The ONLY excuse for not posting scores instantly is perhaps not having access to the internet if in a remote location not connected up. But actually even that shouldn’t be an issue as you could probably tether to your smartphone. 

Neither of the comps mentioned are CPSA Registered, so that's presumably why they haven't used that system.  No reason not to have a spreadsheet shares online though.

Neither of the comps mentioned are CPSA Registered, so that's presumably why they haven't used that system.  No reason not to have a spreadsheet shares online though.
I got distracted onto normal reg scores reporting, but as Paul B says, Hepworth Hall FB page for the Masters is working. 👍

Latest posts

Back