Why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Ok all you sporting guys, a question for you. 
over the years I’ve noticed a lot of sporting shooting using trap guns of various makes. Some have been standard guns straight out of the box, others modified. 
Some top sporting guys have used trap guns too, people such as Graham Stirzaker, Mickey Rouse, Carl Bloxham. I was even told that George Digweed once used a 682 trap gun at one time , not sure if it was true though. 
So what is it that attracts some sporting shooters to trap guns for sporting? 

High comb and tight chokes.

Some people, a couple of my friends and family included are just shaped that they need a trap stock for a gun to shoot at 60/40

Some people like the fixed tight chokes at 3/4 full that a trap gun offers

Some people like a gun to shoot high so that they can float a crossing clay on top of the barrel rather than coming through on a flat line. My brother is the exact opposite though, he likes a really really low come and a gun to shoot 50/50.

Just my personal opinion but I find that on a lot of standard sporters, with the gun mounted I’m looking straight into the back of the action . I like to see some rib and that’s easier for me with a higher comb . I also like to float targets over the bead . 
The last reason is that I prefer fixed choke barrels , no swage at the end for factory chokes  . The mk38 trap barrels are lovely , light , pointable ,  hence so many ending up with Teague for  thin wall conversions that don’t spoil their handling .  

Just my personal opinion but I find that on a lot of standard sporters, with the gun mounted I’m looking straight into the back of the action . I like to see some rib and that’s easier for me with a higher comb . I also like to float targets over the bead . 
The last reason is that I prefer fixed choke barrels , no swage at the end for factory chokes  . The mk38 trap barrels are lovely , light , pointable ,  hence so many ending up with Teague for  thin wall conversions that don’t spoil their handling .  
I reckon Miroku trap guns must be one of the most used trap guns in sporting, or at least it seems that way.

Some people like a gun to shoot high so that they can float a crossing clay on top of the barrel rather than coming through on a flat line. 
This.  I shoot a sporter, but the way my stock is set up it probably shoots 80/20.  My sight picture on crossers is that I come through underneath them, the barrel never blocks my view of them.  As long as that's how you shoot all the time it's just what you are used to seeing.

This.  I shoot a sporter, but the way my stock is set up it probably shoots 80/20.  My sight picture on crossers is that I come through underneath them, the barrel never blocks my view of them.  As long as that's how you shoot all the time it's just what you are used to seeing.
Talking to a shooting instructor last weekend and he hinted that that set up seems to becoming the most popular.

trap guns work well on sporting targets    ok we focus on the clay  but awareness of the bead / barrels  works well  in our peripheral  vision  , nothing wrong with fixed chokes either, bored out to your choice  ,   many sporting shooters set up their guns like trap guns anyway  .   

Yes , the original 38 Trap , first victim of steel shot , the ‘real ‘ trap guns were 2 3/4 chamber , with 3/4 and Full , and had a little gold sticker on the barrel ‘ Not For Steel Shot due to the   choke constriction out of the box .  

Yes , the original 38 Trap , first victim of steel shot , the ‘real ‘ trap guns were 2 3/4 chamber , with 3/4 and Full , and had a little gold sticker on the barrel ‘ Not For Steel Shot due to the   choke constriction out of the box .  
Bored out a bit and the pachmayr swapped for a kick eze gives you the finest clay breaking machine the world has ever seen!

Mine was a fraction of the price of my Perazzi and isn't made of cheese. Unlike my Perazzi!

PM.

Bored out a bit and the pachmayr swapped for a kick eze gives you the finest clay breaking machine the world has ever seen!

Mine was a fraction of the price of my Perazzi and isn't made of cheese. Unlike my Perazzi!

PM.
Well I gotta say that I’ve had a love hate relationship with Miroku and Perazzi for decades now. 
Yeah in between I’ve had various makes, all excellent guns. 
For me, this is totally personal of course, I’m not going to knock any brand of gun. I will have to come down on the side of Miroku. I’ve probably had as many Perazzi’s as I’ve had Miroku’s over several decades.

My best looking gun ever was probably the mx8 vintage that I had made for me, I’ve no doubt about that. Stunning gun! 
But the gun I regret selling more than any other was my Miroku 3800 Grd 3 trap 30 inch.

Why? It was relatively cheap, it never failed me, overall I shot it better than any other gun, straight out of the box. 

This is just my opinion, I’m not knocking Perazzi or any other gun. 

When I came back to clay shooting I already knew what I would end up shooting with. I’m now old and no longer have the funds  for fancy guns. So I bought a 28 year old mk38 that wa a little tired.

Ive been working on the gun and it won’t ever be like new, but I guess it’s now maybe 9/10.

I really don’t give a sh*t if I shoot crap, well I’ve done it before 😂

At least I know that my old gun will outshoot and outlive me! 

Im sorry for the rant and the long post guys. 
I will get my coat and bugger off! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I gotta say that I’ve had a love hate relationship with Miroku and Perazzi for decades now. 
Yeah in between I’ve had various makes, all excellent guns. 
For me, this is totally personal of course, I’m not going to knock any brand of gun. I will have to come down on the side of Miroku. I’ve probably had as many Perazzi’s as I’ve had Miroku’s over several decades.

My best looking gun ever was probably the mx8 vintage that I had made for me, I’ve no doubt about that. Stunning gun! 
But the gun I regret selling more than any other was my Miroku 3800 Grd 3 trap 30 inch.

Why? It was relatively cheap, it never failed me, overall I shot it better than any other gun, straight out of the box. 

This is just my opinion, I’m not knocking Perazzi or any other gun. 

When I came back to clay shooting I already knew what I would end up shooting with. I’m now old and no longer have the funds  for fancy guns. So I bought a 28 year old mk38 that wa a little tired.

Ive been working on the gun and it won’t ever be like new, but I guess it’s now maybe 9/10.

I really don’t give a sh*t if I shoot crap, well I’ve done it before 😂

At least I know that my old gun will outshoot and outlive me! 

Im sorry for the rant and the long post guys. 
I will get my coat and bugger off! 
I've had 5 Perazzi's over the years and 3 Miroku's. I've gone through a fair few H bolts, cracked a stock and melted the rib loose twice on Perazzi's. They're lovely guns to own but expensive to maintain.

I'm now on a sporterised Mk38 Trap and love it. Like you, I've gone through the fancy gun phase and no longer care! Miroku's just work.

PM.

I've had 5 Perazzi's over the years and 3 Miroku's. I've gone through a fair few H bolts, cracked a stock and melted the rib loose twice on Perazzi's. They're lovely guns to own but expensive to maintain.

I'm now on a sporterised Mk38 Trap and love it. Like you, I've gone through the fancy gun faze and no longer care! Miroku's just work.

PM.
I think I’ve had six Perazzi’s and the same amount of Miroku’s. 
Yes Perazzi’s are brilliant guns but as you say, they can cost a bit when you need repairs. My only real issues with them were v springs, I went through quite a few of those things. They are not cheap! 
To date and I hope it stays that way, the only repairs I’ve needed on Miroku’s are firing pins. I never had one break, but they do need replacing once the pitting gets bad enough, mainly to avoid misfires. Not a massive expense and a quick job for most gunsmiths too. 
Miroku’s seem pretty old school and mechanically basic these days, but why change something that works and has done for donkeys dots!!! 😂

PM.
Absolutely, I’ve got the Kickeeze , the Teagues  , and some cast . My K80 doesn’t see daylight , so much so it blinks when I open the safe ! 

There's an awful lot of MX and K80 owners with a 38 lurking in the back of the cabinet. They come out the cabinet after a bad score but eventually get returned for the more fashionable option.

Until the next bad score!🤣

PM.

Am currently using a MK38 Trap ( multichoked ) had it for years ( 5 of which in cabinet whilst a MX2000S had my undivided attention) only ever shot 25DTL & 25ABT in one all round comp, never felt disadvantaged in sporting with it, yes she looks dull  / bland & overshadowed by most brands but what an absolute workhorse, will never sell / let it go.

Even though my liking is for the Italian guns and how they handle, I remember on weeks holiday at John Bidwell's place and only had my fixed choke Miroku MK38 trap gun having sold my sporter, that week I shot those clays with better results than I ever did with my sporter.  Another example of those imortal words,  'WHY THE HELL DID I SELL THAT GUN'

Phil

Even though my liking is for the Italian guns and how they handle, I remember on weeks holiday at John Bidwell's place and only had my fixed choke Miroku MK38 trap gun having sold my sporter, that week I shot those clays with better results than I ever did with my sporter.  Another example of those imortal words,  'WHY THE HELL DID I SELL THAT GUN'

Phil
We’ve all said those immortal words at some point mate! 😂

Latest posts

Back