Skeet shells

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Afternoon all

What do people use for shooting Skeet?  9's no doubt but a soft shell will be preferred I reckon?

Afternoon all

What do people use for shooting Skeet?  9's no doubt but a soft shell will be preferred I reckon?
9’s are preferable. If you can find a 9.5 all the better. Hull Pro Pistons are probably about the best you can buy but they’re expensive. Other than that any 28g load is fine (assuming it’s not Olympic Skeet). RC2’s are well thought of and won’t break the bank.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Skeet targets are so close anything with a half decent pattern that isn’t too punchy will be fine.

I usually get my cartridges at the range that I shoot at most of the times. I don’t like dragging around cartridges when it is not necessary. Certainly the last two years where availability wasn’t great the cartridges you got were a different brand or type. Usually 24gr 7. Always steel with plastic wad/cup. Sometimes 24gr 6, sometimes 21grams. For both sporting skeet or Olympic skeet it has never made a difference in my average score. Some are thumpier than others, some give a little bit better breaks than others. (That may even be an illusion caused by different lighting). But the score doesn’t change noticeably. 

No need to be nervous about cartridges for skeet. 

And yes, for comps I prefer Clever Mirage T2 24/9 steel. They are very soft in my gun. So I like them most, perhaps somehow it gives me confidence to have them as perfect as possible. For training it is nice when they are soft, but it is nothing to worry about. 

Good morning all,

Great responses here and thanks a bunch. 

I guess where I'm coming from is that I want a really soft shooting Skeet cartridge. I shoot ESP, with a fixed choke gun, and have found immense benefits in shooting 9's out to 30yds. Breaks are fantastic (Pro-Piston are amazing).

I'm happy to shoot 24gram no problem, but effectively would like a Cartridge that opens the pattern. BIIR shells  like Fiocchi f3, Hull Pro-Puston etc all do it incredibly well (I've another thread on this lot). I just want a much softer shell to shoit that opens the pattern.

For those that missed my Spreader shell post, a Hull Pro ONE 7.5 at 20yds gives an 8" pattern on my gun. The Pro Piston gives a 20" pattern. It doesn't sound much but Crikey it is!

So, soft, spreading and shot/Load size doesn't matter!

Cheers all

Hull carts are by far the softest for recoil in my experience and not neccessarily the expensive ones, fibre may open up a bit more but for skeet, cheap Hull fibres would be worth a go

Latest posts

Back