Trap guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Ok this has all been done before, I do realise that! 
So let’s do it again. 
I would guess that we all have our favourite make of trap gun, I certainly do. 
I’ve had some that cost a small fortune, I had one made for me. As lovely as it was, I’m back shooting a very ordinary gun, because I can shoot crap with any gun, cheap or expensive! 😂

So how about you guys, fancy talking about trap guns? 

Yes , I have bought many guns, searching for the 'magic' one only to realise that I already owned it ! MK38 Grade 5 choked Full & Extra Full.

Yes , I have bought many guns, searching for the 'magic' one only to realise that I already owned it ! MK38 Grade 5 choked Full & Extra Full.
Pete, yeah we’ve both been down the same route mate. Many many times unfortunately 😂

I have two trap guns and 90% of my shooting is trap. I have also tried and shot many makes and models as other shooters seem to always let you have a go with theirs.

Best one I liked was a perazzi high tech , but too pricey for me.

I think ShootClay's gun buying expert Dr Lecter will be on shortly, although I don't know if he shoots trap 😉😄

I think ShootClay's gun buying expert Dr Lecter will be on shortly, although I don't know if he shoots trap 😉😄
yes years ago i shot trap and have had many trap guns  but the mk 38 takes some beating all things considered      do shooters still use 3/4  full with todays shells ?  i bet 3/8 would crush most trap targets these days   ?  

yes years ago i shot trap and have had many trap guns  but the mk 38 takes some beating all things considered      do shooters still use 3/4  full with todays shells ?  i bet 3/8 would crush most trap targets these days   ?  
Well you are definitely right about Miroku! I’ve had quite a few over the years, in amongst the various Perazzi’s, K80, DT10, DT 11. 
I have now returned to Miroku yet again and I doubt I shall ever buy another gun. I’m too old for chopping and changing now. My current gun is 28 years old but it will still outlast me I reckon. 
As for chokes, personally I still like 3/4 and full. 

certainly will. I use 1/4 choke with 21gm on DTL, no problem whatsoever.  1/2 with 24gm on all fast trap , breaks everything. 

certainly will. I use 1/4 choke with 21gm on DTL, no problem whatsoever.  1/2 with 24gm on all fast trap , breaks everything. 
I once had a multi choke k80, I did try 1/2 and full for OT, but the 1/2 choke kills always seemed a bit chippy somehow. Yeah they were kills all the same, but I had the feeling inside my head that perhaps the pattern was too open. 
We all know that any doubt about your gun/choke or shells is not good, I like to know that any miss is down to me and not the gun or shell.

I shoot a Blaser F3 Super Trap with 3/4 and 1/1chokes  for Lead and 1/2 and 5/8 for steel.

As of 1.Jan. this year we are only allowed to shoot Steel and I have to say the hits were better with Lead. The Steel opens up much more and shoots flatter/looses speed quicker than lead.

The pattern plate does not lie!! I spent a couple of hours shooting different cartridges through different chokes to find out what works best for me.

I shoot a Blaser F3 Super Trap with 3/4 and 1/1chokes  for Lead and 1/2 and 5/8 for steel.

As of 1.Jan. this year we are only allowed to shoot Steel and I have to say the hits were better with Lead. The Steel opens up much more and shoots flatter/looses speed quicker than lead.

The pattern plate does not lie!! I spent a couple of hours shooting different cartridges through different chokes to find out what works best for me.
Have you adjusted pellet size so lead and steel have the same mass. If not then it's obvious steel will lose kinetic energy

Is there a need for designated trap guns though?  Today's guns have so many adjustments available that surely they could be configured to shoot as a trap gun.

Is there a need for designated trap guns though?  Today's guns have so many adjustments available that surely they could be configured to shoot as a trap gun.
Well you’re not the first person to mention that! 
Traditionally trap guns usually had higher and thicker stocks, usually with a thick recoil pad and less drop between heel and comb, tighter chokes, beaver tail forends, longer barrels, and a bit more weight.
These days it seems that a lot of sporters have got heavier, some have beaver tail forends and a lot now have multi chokes and adjustable stocks.

So, things have changed and with so many changeable parts, maybe one day there will no longer be dedicated trap guns as we know them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this has all been done before, I do realise that! 
So let’s do it again. 
I would guess that we all have our favourite make of trap gun, I certainly do. 
I’ve had some that cost a small fortune, I had one made for me. As lovely as it was, I’m back shooting a very ordinary gun, because I can shoot crap with any gun, cheap or expensive! 😂

So how about you guys, fancy talking about trap guns? 
I’ve shot a K80 since 2006 albeit with MR custom woodwork. I’ve 30 and 32 inch barrels, both with a stepped rib and have shot a release trigger since 2018.

I too went through several makes of gun earlier in my shooting career. The only one I regret selling was a Winchester Select. I shot my first 100/300 with it and it’ll always have a special place because of that.

I’ve shot a K80 since 2006 albeit with a MR custom woodwork. I’ve 30 and 32 inch barrels, both with a stepped rib and have shot a release trigger since 2018.

I too went through several makes of gun earlier in my shooting career. The only one I regret selling was a Winchester Select. I shot my first 100/300 with it and it’ll always have a special place because of that.
Ah the good old Winchester! I shot quite a few back in the 80’s but unfortunately I never owned one. 
I’ve had two guns that I regret selling, one was an MX8 Vintage that I had made for me, the other was a Miroku3800 grade3. It was a lovely looking gun and overall I shot it better than any gun I’ve ever owned, before or since. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Ah the good old Winchester! I shot quite a few back in the 80’s but unfortunately I never owned one. 
I’ve had two guns that I regret selling, one was an MX8 Vintage that I had made for me, the other was a Miroku3800 grade3. It was a lovely looking gun and overall I shot it better than any gun I’ve ever owned, before or since. 
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.😁👍
Les back in the 80's your fitness, reaction,stamina, eye sight and the rest were 40 years younger, maybe the gun was not as good as guns you shoot today 😀👍

Les back in the 80's your fitness, reaction,stamina, eye sight and the rest were 40 years younger, maybe the gun was not as good as guns you shoot today 😀👍
The gun I shoot today is pretty much the same gun really. Just three or four years newer that my old 3800. 😂 It will still out shoot and outlast me! 😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back