Cpsa and fitasc

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

Anyone know why the cpsa have decided against holding fitasc selection shoots to determine the England fitasc team.

instead fitasc shooters have to nominate various grounds where they shoot to get a score. I foresee a major disaster looming.
If the cpsa do not want anything to do with fitasc, why not come clean and say so

For the GBteam yes, cpsa have always run the England fitasc selection shoots

They do explain themselves on the website. Not saying I’ve got a dog in this fight. My only comment is that HG score is a poor way to grade a shoot. Far more realistic to take an average of the whole shoot (as CPSA do show now) or at least an average of the top 10 scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a rather disingenuous statement on the cpsa website about shooter numbers falling, yes costs are increasing not only for fitasc, but for each and every discipline.

If you look at the fitasc shoots around the country, you will find that they are oversubscribed and that there is a waiting list.

I stand by my earlier statement “ if the cpsa do not want anything to do with fitasc, come clean and say so “

This affair is starting to smell somewhat.

Am I right in saying whilst there are grounds with one FITASC layout there are few with the facilities to hold a 4 layout competition.

I am not aware of a single ground in the Midlands that has four FITASC layouts in day to day use - I think Sporting Targets might have three and I know Kibworth has two.

It maybe possible for some grounds to setup up four layouts but it would involve a lot of work and organization and would require a ground of a certain size - assuming in any event they are happy to sacrifice the traps & space used by other disciplines for the day.

I also understand that it is quite a time consuming competition to run as you only ever have one active shooter on each layout and thus four shooting at any one time - compared to 12 on the average sporting layout. I wonder how many get to shoot on each day.

I suppose I am asking whether numbers are falling because of reductions in supply and not a lack of demand.

Freddy, whilst you are correct in saying only 4 people can shoot per layout, that is the old system where the hoops are moved to give a new shooting position on pegs 2&3.

On the new system 3/4 people can shoot at one time per layout, most grounds now use a hybrid system meaning 2/3 can shoot per layout.

Fitasc in the country is very buoyant, you only have to look at Steve Lovett grounds, both Westfield and Garlands are extremely popular as is Barbury and Owls lodge. The fitasc at Swinton in Yorkshire is oversubscribed .

Numbers at the moment are very healthy, BUT if the cpsa are looking to supersede fitasc with super sporting and they withdraw their support , then lord knows what will happen.

As I keep on repeating, if the cpsa do not want fitasc competitions, come out and say so.

Am I right in saying whilst there are grounds with one FITASC layout there are few with the facilities to hold a 4 layout competition.
If a shooting ground can host a 100 esp it will have enough “real estate” and traps for FITASC.

I am not aware of a single ground in the Midlands that has four FITASC layouts in day to day use - I think Sporting Targets might have three and I know Kibworth has two.

It maybe possible for some grounds to setup up four layouts but it would involve a lot of work and organization and would require a ground of a certain size - assuming in any event they are happy to sacrifice the traps & space used by other disciplines for the day.

I also understand that it is quite a time consuming competition to run as you only ever have one active shooter on each layout and thus four shooting at any one time - compared to 12 on the average sporting layout. I wonder how many get to shoot on each day.

I suppose I am asking whether numbers are falling because of reductions in supply and not a lack of demand.
You are most probably right, and no not many grounds full stop will have a practice FITASC layout available let alone four, cannot for the life of me think why they would, little / no demand and certainly not enough to warrant a full 100 target set up. But and it’s an important but, it’s competition FITASC is what drives those chaps, the new, the unknown, the one off in short they want something different each and every clay, unlike us sporting addicts that generally want to repeatedly practice targets. 

You should give it a go, will admit it bites my behind, that said lots does these days

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wynno for the pointers. I have more time this summer and will look at the options - Garlands is a reasonable distance & Westfield somewhere I should try.

Thanks Wynno for the pointers. I have more time this summer and will look at the options - Garlands is a reasonable distance & Westfield somewhere I should try.
Steve does put on a very decent fitasc shoot 

Garlands, compared to Westfield is as flat as a pancake, the latter has far more natural features that can be made use of

Latest posts

Back