Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

So, since site upgrade I cannot find content I started or posted in before the update. But it’s probably best to start a new thread for the sporting shoots, so that the three of us that post in it have a place. 😅

I will kick off. I did the EJ Churchill Challenge today, which runs from now until end of March. https://www.ejchurchill.com/churchillchallenge

A good course for all I thought and fun to shoot. 9 stands, 8 of which use three traps in a sort of Super Sporting format. One stand has 20 targets over 6 traps and is easily the hardest part of the course. I was pretty happy with a 17/20 on that. Sadly I really cocked up two stands which were tough in the low sun, so brought my score down to 87 which won’t be anywhere near the mark, but I’ll have another go sometime. Recommend it as a fun varied course, something different and mostly not too tough. 

Not done a Reg shoot yet this year.  Did a fair bit of practice over the Christmas period, getting used to having my o/u back and to the new stock. It's started to come back together, with shooting in the windy conditions we've had stopping me from hanging on to targets, which I was doing at the back end of last year.  Things all came together last Sunday at the open comp at Willow Farm, 100 targets shot over 10 stands.  I shot a 92, with 6 straights, 2 9's and 2 7's.  I bottled it a bit on the last stand I shot, loading on the third pair thought to myself that with that pair I was guaranteed a 90 - promptly missed the pair! 

I was high gun when I went back to the clubhouse with my card, but a few minutes later Kevin Howland came in having shot a 94, so I ended up 2nd overall. Not a Reg shoot I know, but there were at least two cpsa AAA classified shooters there and they had a fairly big turn out, so I was really pleased to have finished with that score.

Not done a Reg shoot yet this year.  Did a fair bit of practice over the Christmas period, getting used to having my o/u back and to the new stock. It's started to come back together, with shooting in the windy conditions we've had stopping me from hanging on to targets, which I was doing at the back end of last year.  Things all came together last Sunday at the open comp at Willow Farm, 100 targets shot over 10 stands.  I shot a 92, with 6 straights, 2 9's and 2 7's.  I bottled it a bit on the last stand I shot, loading on the third pair thought to myself that with that pair I was guaranteed a 90 - promptly missed the pair! 

I was high gun when I went back to the clubhouse with my card, but a few minutes later Kevin Howland came in having shot a 94, so I ended up 2nd overall. Not a Reg shoot I know, but there were at least two cpsa AAA classified shooters there and they had a fairly big turn out, so I was really pleased to have finished with that score.
Mega. Keep it going!

I hope so, but think it might be quite a while before I have another day as good as that!
Trouble is, a good day comes when we are humble and not expecting it. Then it’s hard to forget it and be humble next time..

Northampton on Sunday for me. Good round slightly spoilt by the wind, we shot with Carl bloxham never met him before but what a nice bloke. He gave us a masterclass of shooting in the wind by leaving the dancing about clays and shooting them after they settled. He shot a solid 93 I hit 82 

Oxfordshire shooting school this am. Bloody awful! There was a great deal of wind and extremely bright low winter sun. I’m guessing neither of these were a factor when it was set up and nobody cared enough to either look at the forecast, or indeed change anything early this morning. So half the stands were a vision test in shadow, or due to looking into the sun. Plus clays were being blown around and different every time. One to forget. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't tend to comment much on shoots these days. I rarely have anything good to say (not my fault) and some ground owners are a bit precious and take offence. 

So I may only comment when I find a really well thought out and balanced shoot that is fair for every single competitor that attends. Things for clay grounds to consider if they want a glowing review are

1.Take account that it might be windy.

2. Don't use stupid colours on unsuitable backgrounds. 

3. Short people attend shoots too. 

4. Reg shoots are for cpsa members. Simples . 

Note to cpsa. If this is not the case then I don't need to renew this year?

5. Report folk who "lose" their score cards. It's for the greater good of shooting. 

6. Look after your refs. They should not be filling up your traps whilst you ride round in a range rover.

7. We sometimes get sunshine in England.

Enjoy 2023. 

Feel free to add to the list. 

Jasper

P.s. 

Carl Bloxham is one of the good guys of shooting. Always has time. Lovely chap. Great Coach. Superb shot. 

Brilliant post Jason.  :clapping:

Oxfordshire shooting school this am. Bloody awful! There was a great deal of wind and extremely bright low winter sun. I’m guessing neither of these were a factor when it was set up and nobody cared enough to either look at the forecast, or indeed change anything early this morning. So half the stands were a vision test in shadow, or due to looking into the sun. Plus clays we’re being blown around and different every time. One to forget. 
It is Friday 13th Will...

Oxfordshire shooting school this am. Bloody awful! There was a great deal of wind and extremely bright low winter sun. I’m guessing neither of these were a factor when it was set up and nobody cared enough to either look at the forecast, or indeed change anything early this morning. So half the stands were a vision test in shadow, or due to looking into the sun. Plus clays were being blown around and different every time. One to forget. 
Shot here once and it was OK. But it doesn't seem to attract the big names or a big entry. Unlike most of the other midweek events. Any particular reasons for this???

Jasper. 

It's certainly a different experience. I've shot it a few times and it always seems quite claustrophobic especially on the stands with the huge bund walls. There are regulars who seem to have adapted to the ground but I can't say the same for me. Also they need to remember that very few of the punters are blessed with the eyesight and reactions of a teenager so an edge on curling midi at 50 yards with a window of barely 1 second isn't fair to most of us.

Someone should send them Jasper's check list. 🤣

Shot here once and it was OK. But it doesn't seem to attract the big names or a big entry. Unlike most of the other midweek events. Any particular reasons for this???

Jasper. 
It used to be 10 stands and fibre only which isn’t a great combo. I gave up going, then they made it 12 stands a few months ago so I’ve gone back. The courses are inconsistent. Last time I went I hit a 98! (OK I had a good day). Other times they decide to toughen it up and that usually means in a nasty tricky way. So, it can be decent for sure but it perhaps lacks the professional methodical setting that would improve it. It’s got a fine little clubhouse (with bizarrely good loos) and decent food, friendly refs etc.

We shot Southdown’s 120 target New year shoot, as we didn’t enter until a few days before we were limited on what time I could get for 3 in same squad.  Cannot remember exact time we started but out of 15 stands I would say at least 10 of them were so affected by the dazzling low sun it ruined the day.  It wasnt the hardest shoot I’ve ever shot there and there was nothing wrong with the targets IF you could see them without being blinded and if they weren’t so wind affected.   I shot roughly my average so wasn’t too bad but I’d not shot for 6 weeks and by the end of the 120 I was so tired I could hardly hold my gun up!  Last 5 or so stands some of the targets mainly high up in the air and a few no birds so arms were aching and as I’d had a really busy December with work (I’ve taken early retirement and it was my last month) and doing extra days etc I felt it.  

New year and new challenges - joined the gym and working on upper body strength, we already do 4k a few times a week and we’ve joined  the golf club for something different to do.  A lot more mid week shooting coming on I think!  We are shooting Coleys tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to that, it’s always an enjoyable course, friendly people and I may get to see Fred the ref who I adore!! I think Mr Pinnegar from this forum is in same squad as us so looking forward to meeting another forum member.  Happy New Year to everyone 😘😘

Few off here at Coleys tomorrow.  Good luck . Looks like we may need it. (with the wind). Please be aware of road closure in the area . See coleys web. 

Jasper. 

Screenshot_20230113_200048_Chrome.jpg

Back