RIP ...40up

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

It is with great sadness that I inform you all that my very good friend FD Thornley passed away on Tuesday. 40up was very active on this forum for many years but like many of us he had been quiet of late . He was a great friend  great shooter and a great ambassador of all things shooting.....I had the pleasure of shooting trap with him for many years and also the odd game day......RIP my friend you will be greatly missed by all that had the honour of knowing you ....

A pic from one of our game days probably 2018/19

WP_20180123_13_35_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.9e757827bf4f9f5792e57a86dfe4516c.jpg

Sad news, I always enjoyed his posts.  Condolences to his family and friends.

Reactions: ips
RIP Fred and condolences to his family and friends.

He was very knowledgeable about all aspects of shooting he was quiet, unassuming and a gentleman of the old school. 

He'd been in the GB UT team on several occasions and won the veteran individual bronze medal at the 2010 World Championships in Rome with a score of 186 ex 200. He was also a regular CPSA England OT team member at Home International matches.

RIP Fred,

A very nice man with impeccable manners, quiet, unassuming with a tremendous amount of knowledge on all shooting subjects.

I will miss him.

I regret being so late to this.  Although I only knew Mr. Thornley from his posts here, he certainly was a contributor to be read.  I have some great respect for Ian's judgments so I have to believe that Mr. Thornley was a person well worth knowing and will most certainly be missed.  Outliving friends is one of the worst aspects of getting old.

RIP, Fred.  Condolences to family and all who knew him.

It is with great sadness that I inform you all that my very good friend FD Thornley passed away on Tuesday. 40up was very active on this forum for many years but like many of us he had been quiet of late . He was a great friend  great shooter and a great ambassador of all things shooting.....I had the pleasure of shooting trap with him for many years and also the odd game day......RIP my friend you will be greatly missed by all that had the honour of knowing you ....

A pic from one of our game days probably 2018/19

View attachment 9210
Hi Ian 

I am very upset to hear this news. I have just logged on to the site for the first time in more than a year and this is just so sad to hear about. I was frequently in touch with Fred when I was really getting into shooting bigger competitions he had a huge knowledge of the sport and even though it was internet based his advice aided me greatly. I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends . 

Hi Ian, this is an awful shock! RIP Fred, proper gentleman and a great trap shooter! 
I last saw him at Southern Counties, must be at least eight or nine years ago. Very sad news indeed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ian, it's been a while. I am very sorry to hear that your friend 40up had passed away. I do remember his input on this forum, a sad loss.

I hope you are keeping well

Phil

Very late to this thread but not logged on for a long, long while.
I heard about Fred’s sad passing several months go, just after his funeral I think?
Fred was a great assistance to my son Harry when he was starting out in OT and we had numerous one on one coaching sessions at Garlands, Beverley and Sealands. He was patient and always had a great way of explaining things. A true gent and a great advocate for the fast trap disciplines.
RIP Fred

Latest posts

Back