Hamilton gunslip/stand

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinD

Does anyone know if Hamilton have changed the specification of their slips. Now I was led to believe that they were so heavy it would be like carrying a small car around with the shotgun in it, but having looked at someone with one while shooting today and asking what they though was invited to pick it up, without a gun in it, and was surprised with how light it actually was.

I am suffering with my back quite a bit and find it uncomfortable to keep bending down to get the shotgun out of my normal slip during the course of 100 sporting, not helped by the weather we have been having lately with most places covered with mud

If I recall correctly, they did change the design a few years ago. Older version had one shoulder strap. Newer one has 2, so you can wear it like a rucksack.

I carry mine round mostly by the handle and have no issues, but If carrying it around is going to be an issue, then I have seen them fitted to pull along golf trolleys

We have used the double shoulder strap/rucksack style ones without issue, just they take a long time to dry out fully if they get soaked through.  We no longer use ours, so if you are interested in one for a reasonable donation to a charity of our choice, send me a PM.  They are used but in excellent condition in general.  Ta.

One complaint I've heard of is the fact that strong winds blew it over, I'm surprised that more people don't use a modified golf trolley especially if they have bad backs 
Probably because that would take up more space than the Hamilton, as my post says it's the bending down getting the gun in and out of the slip not the walking part

Probably because that would take up more space than the Hamilton, as my post says it's the bending down getting the gun in and out of the slip not the walking part
I have simply stuck a section of glass fibre garden cane to the inside 'spine' of my full zipped gun slip using gorilla tape. This makes the slip stand upright in the gun racks, or anything else you lean it on, when the gun is out. I don't do bending over either  !   😉

20221217_201805.jpg

20221217_201821.jpg

20221217_201854.jpg

How's the tape hold up after a few hundred times with the gun sliding over it when removing the gun etc

How's the tape hold up after a few hundred times with the gun sliding over it when removing the gun etc
It still is after 2 years of use.

If you look closely at the photograph, you can see the tape has rubbed white in places, but it is still in place. I used pieces of tape approximately 18" long.    1) it was easier to work with.

2) I can just replace I bit at a time, should the need arise.

Why do you bend down to take your gun out of a slip? I have always take mine out and put it in standing up. The slip can be placed on anything that will support it.

Personally I want my slip to fold in half so it can be placed upon my shooting bag, out of any muck.  I do own a Hamilton, but rarely see a need for it. Maybe in very poor conditions. But can’t be windy as it topples. 

Why do you bend down to take your gun out of a slip? I have always take mine out and put it in standing up. The slip can be placed on anything that will support it.
Not much in the way of stuff to support it around where we shoot apart from the ground, and if there is it's already taken by others, so most of the time it's laid down 

Not much in the way of stuff to support it around where we shoot apart from the ground, and if there is it's already taken by others, so most of the time it's laid down 
I only use the 2 'rigid' slips for clay shooting and the grounds I frequent have gun racks at each stand. I use different slips for game shooting which I usually hang on my thumb stick, which, in turn, is pushed into the ground. 

Latest posts

Back