Walnut oil

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I use a drop of a traditional stock oil with root of  Alkanet in it  , bought it at Kelbrook shooting school it’s their own blend  . I’ve had a bottle for literally years . A tiny drop on the stock, avoiding the chequering  and then palmed in until my skin is warm , might do that every couple of months .  

When I bought my first gun in 1998 from Thomas Turner in Reading (closed long since) they gave me a little glass bottle of stock oil with a little gold label. No brand name. It finally went nasty about 3 years ago but I would get another jar in a heart beat if I knew what the heck it was. Very light rubbing oil, made stocks lovely and shiny, not sticky. If anybody knows what that was..

Last edited by a moderator:
My local gunsmith recommended Phillips English Walnut Oil.

I bought a 20yr old MK70 Grade 5 in excellent condition but the wood needed a bit of oil.  3 very thin coats later and it looks really good, the grain really attractive now.

As others have said alkanet oil or linseed oil , or both , there are plenty of compounds already made up , ccl is a good one 

Latest posts

Back