Browning XS Pro Sporter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I am looking at a new Browning Ultra XS Pro 30”, has anyone any experience of this gun on a skeet layout. The gun seems to come without a skeet choke but 2 full chokes. Any comments or information would be appreciated 

A friend has one and shoots sporting very well and skeet with Cyl/Sk chokes.  Very nice handling gun. I think he bought extra chokes from Browning

A lad that works for me has a 32” model and the chokes supplied are a little odd as you mention but a great gun and will do anything you want.

I’ve just moved away from the 525 action (mk38) to try something a bit heavier but you really can’t go wrong. 

you can always add to the existing chokes or do as I did and buy some teagues.

Great guns. I shoot a 32" and I'm sure the 30" would make a great skeet gun.

You can adjust the comb and balance to suit. Teague aftermarket titanium chokes would be your best bet. 

Mine came new with LF, F, F, and XF!

If you want to save money there's loads of them out there so a good deal shouldn't be hard to find.

PM. 

If you are in a part of the world where steel is the norm, or even mandatory, that selection of chokes makes very little sense. For skeet just roll with either SK, C or IC. I changed to the latter for practice, and am not seeing much of a difference (though I am perfectly content with the extra excuse 😄). I don’t see much use for LF or tighter in  modern sporting, let alone in skeet. Weird choice by browning. 

Always was a weird choice by Browning 8 chokes four of which your never likely to use for sporting, which the gun was originally marketed for

If you do buy one Malmo Guns have suitable s/hand chokes to fit one.

As I've said here before; if I had to shoot a Browning, that's the one I'd go for. I've only ever tried them in 32" for sporting, but in my hands they feel more substantial than the regular 725 and more nimble than the Pro Sport.

I tried a Beretta 694 and ProSport but the palm swells were too much and the ProSport was very heavy

I could not shoot the XS Pro and still do not know why. I stuck it for 3 months and got rid in favour of the Prosport,  a much better gun for ME. However, as age and health are taking their toll, I have just swapped the Prosport for a lighter MK38.  Only had that for 5 weeks and I am struggling a bit with the lighter gun. I am overleading a lot of targets and I find the stock a bit 'slim'.

I could not shoot the XS Pro and still do not know why. I stuck it for 3 months and got rid in favour of the Prosport,  a much better gun for ME. However, as age and health are taking their toll, I have just swapped the Prosport for a lighter MK38.  Only had that for 5 weeks and I am struggling a bit with the lighter gun. I am overleading a lot of targets and I find the stock a bit 'slim'.
Just shows how personal gun weight, feel and fit are to individuals.

And that is why I listen and respect opinions but you have to test/try a gun yourself before committing.

I also now shoot an MK38 and after a few rounds I am now at home with it.

As they say you can make a light gun heavy but it's far harder to make a heavy gun light 😉

Don’t ask me why but I tried a demo XS Pro 30” & I could not hit a barn door with it & that was after the coach at the ground set up the gun to fit me, I then changed back to my Beretta 28” auto to hit most birds. My advice would be don’t just handle one in the shop DEFINITELY shoot one before you purchase I’m glad I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve just bought a used one as an upgrade to my early 2002 ultra XS  , I’ve gone to 32” from 30” and really notice the difference , I don’t like the lack of a palm swell even though it was very slight on the Ultra, the ultra was also heavier despite being 2” shorter, the chokes it comes with are just plain mad for a sporter , but a lovely gun overall 

If you are in a part of the world where steel is the norm, or even mandatory, that selection of chokes makes very little sense. For skeet just roll with either SK, C or IC. I changed to the latter for practice, and am not seeing much of a difference (though I am perfectly content with the extra excuse 😄). I don’t see much use for LF or tighter in modern sporting, let alone in skeet. Weird choice by browning.
Maybe getting rid of stocks BEFORE we are forced to use steel shot too ?

Don’t ask me why but I tried a demo XS Pro 30” & I could not hit a barn door with it & that was after the coach at the ground set up the gun to fit me, I then changed back to my Beretta 28” auto to hit most birds. My advice would be don’t just handle one in the shop DEFINITELY shoot one before you purchase I’m glad I did.
Any body know where the XS pro is available for Demo, based in Stamford in Lincs

Back