Hull Sporting 100 variance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

So, I tried some Sporting 100 plas that I bought from William Evans a few months ago and really liked the smooth recoil as a main feature. They look good, work well and aren’t bonkers money from my local supplier.

I then take the plunge and order 3000 locally. This lot look different, due to a very failed black coating effect on the brass, instead of a clean silver colour. I had a few of the old ones left and put one of each in. The back to back recoil was definitely harsher in the new black brass cartridge. Both old and new are branded as the Graphite edition, which I assume is the new normal?

I have contacted the shop who will discuss with Hull on Tuesday and get back to me. Does anybody on here have experience of this variance?

TIA

W

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 3000 Sp100s plas 2 weeks ago 7.5 & 8s, Mostly all silver, but some with black ends. The slab packaging seems to have changed from the plain old cardboard. Didnt notice any difference in recoil. But i did think the 8s were slightly lacking at distance, compared to my usual F black 8s.

I have not noticed a discernible difference in the fibre wad version between the black or silver heads.  The black head version are my older stock, with the silver version being my more recent purchases, including those in the new slab packaging bought this week.

Purchased the older graphite ones pre- covid, new ones I got few months ago were the polished steel. I thought the graphite ones were a limited edition.

And the black coating on the first ones just fell off, wonder if you have some older stock ones

Edit: Can't say about the recoil as they felt the same, but they both were fibre 

So, I tried some Sporting 100 plas that I bought from William Evans a few months ago and really liked the smooth recoil as a main feature. They look good, work well and aren’t bonkers money from my local supplier.

I then take the plunge and order 3000 locally. This lot look different, due to a very failed black coating effect on the brass, instead of a clean silver colour. I had a few of the old ones left and put one of each in. The back to back recoil was definitely harsher in the new black brass cartridge. Both old and new are branded as the Graphite edition, which I assume is the new normal?

I have contacted the shop who will discuss with Hull on Tuesday and get back to me. Does anybody on here have experience of this variance?

TIA

W
Hi Will, watch this video, especially at 10.00 mins, they say that every Pro One is loaded the same.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/E6763Oiqx78?feature=oembed

Wrong shell, I did not realise there was one with the name Sporting 😲

cartridge manufactures at this time may be struggling to get continuity of supply of components so possibly old and new may contain different components, if you have one of each why not take them apart and compare?

cartridge manufactures at this time may be struggling to get continuity of supply of components so possibly old and new may contain different components, if you have one of each why not take them apart and compare?
Agree. Haven’t got any of the other ones left..

I bought 1000 of the graphite ones a while ago (only ones I’ve ever bought) and I’ve been a bit underwhelmed with them overall. I really expected them to shine, but on balance I’m much happier with the results I’ve been getting with Olympic Blues which seem smoother to shoot and give better kills. Shame as I’ve generally always got along with Hull shells, hence why I bought them as they were on offer at the time. My understanding was the graphite version was just aesthetic, and my experience may just be me of course….

Many years ago I shot Hull cartridges, DTL 300 I think they were called we called them "pinks". Very soft to shoot and good kills, then Hull changed the recipe.

Terrible to shoot from a recoil perspective, they did the same with Pro Fibre. I've never used Hull for the past twenty years. I find Eley Select or Eley Blues very pleasant to shoot.

If you watch the video you can see how much recoil they have, not good at all.

Have never used the new ones but I too liked the old ones.

I am a big fan of olympic blues though very consistent and never feel the recoil.

Now trying lylavale express 24g fibre as its all I could get local at short notice and to shoot at the lancs gamefair it has to be fibre.What are they like I have no idea yet.

Managed to shoot a few “silver” brass versions today back to back. Couldn’t feel any difference.. may just have been me on one shell I fear. Still odd that the ugly black versions are known to be the old version and I’ve just received them. But happy if it’s just cosmetic.

I'm shooting these at the moment. Graphite edition. They been under the bed for a year or so. But to me they are smooth as. Seemed to hit most stuff round Westfield ok yesterday. 😉. Having said that, i got them on a deal (they are way too expensive now) and will be reverting to fblu when these are gone.

Jasper. 

Having said that, i got them on a deal (they are way too expensive now) and will be reverting to fblu when these are gone.
Yes ,must admit i got mine at a good price, I wont be paying 284.00 i think the new lot are. A mate of mine was saying Superfast are now dearer than Fiocchi F black. I always thought SF were a budget cartridge. 

Hull prices seem a bit on the high side to me.

Well they were supposed to be. Heard the other day that some fiocchi are to be loaded by express. Must reacquaint myself with a decent dentist. 

Jasper. 

Well they were supposed to be. Heard the other day that some fiocchi are to be loaded by express. Must reacquaint myself with a decent dentist. 

Jasper. 
Or perhaps with Fiocchi there may be a change of component suppliers to Express

Probably the other way round. Express are now actually owned by fiocchi. Baschieri and pellagri are also part of the group which makes them one of the biggest small arms ammunition and component manufacturers in the world . 

Jasper. 

Managed to shoot a few “silver” brass versions today back to back. Couldn’t feel any difference.. may just have been me on one shell I fear. Still odd that the ugly black versions are known to be the old version and I’ve just received them. But happy if it’s just cosmetic.
i definitely think the old style in the chrome effect box were smoother and less recoil,my all time favourite cartridge.

Managed to score som from JC when they had a clear out.

Changed to power Golds about 35000 in now and couldn't be happier with them👍

Latest posts

Back