Comb drop & LOP

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

If you have a gun that fits perfectly is it right to assume that any other guns should be adjusted to have the same drop at comb and heel and the same LOP, all other things being equal?

If you have a gun that fits perfectly is it right to assume that any other guns should be adjusted to have the same drop at comb and heel and the same LOP, all other things being equal?
I can’t see why not. If you consider a Try-gun isn’t like any real gun and they use those for establishing dimensions. I’ve had a fair few guns and don’t recall big changes between them to make them feel right. Maybe there is a bit more to it, but the starting point of “same” has to be a good plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t really understand why thickness of comb is important, if cast off/on is right then it shouldn’t matter

I don’t really understand why thickness of comb is important, if cast off/on is right then it shouldn’t matter
This is where measurements alone don’t quite tell the full picture. You could have exact cast measured on the centre line of the comb, but a fat stock won’t let your face get to it. I had a Perazzi stock like a cyclists calf muscle that gave me that problem. 

Too thin a comb can be painful to shoot, which can cause headlifting or flinching. Both of which the shooter can be unaware of. I am struggling a bit adjusting to the slimmer stock on an MK38.

Too thin a comb can be painful to shoot, which can cause headlifting or flinching. Both of which the shooter can be unaware of. I am struggling a bit adjusting to the slimmer stock on an MK38.
Agree. It’s why I had my Blaser modified to reshape it fatter (same time I made it adjustable comb). So, best Blaser in the country. Still for sale 😄

So why not keep it Will? Got a new grail gun in mind? 😂
Long story, which I bored everybody with on here somewhere a while back. Basically had new barrels and it changed the feel completely. Probably “better” but wasn’t what I was used to. 694 going nicely now. 

Long story, which I bored everybody with on here somewhere a while back. Basically had new barrels and it changed the feel completely. Probably “better” but wasn’t what I was used to. 694 going nicely now. 
Fair enough mate 👍

Latest posts

Back