Different shells for practice?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defender90

Morning,

What's the prevailing wisdom on using a lighter/cheaper shell for practice as opposed to comp? I.e. 21g selects for practice and 28g superbs in comp. Good way of bringing the price down or choose a cartridge and stick with it so you have consistency between practice and comp?

Pete

Morning,

What's the prevailing wisdom on using a lighter/cheaper shell for practice as opposed to comp? I.e. 21g selects for practice and 28g superbs in comp. Good way of bringing the price down or choose a cartridge and stick with it so you have consistency between practice and comp?

Pete
One of those subjects that has been much discussed (so may find if you search this site).

I’m pretty sure the ultimate competition solution is one cartridge always. This is part of the “never think about anything than the target” mentality. Once we’re thinking equipment it’s a distraction, especially in the first few shots with a different recoil and even sound. However, some people are really not distracted easily so a cost-save shell can work fine. But then you’ve got to ask yourself, if I’m practicing with a cheaper shell, presumably on hard targets to stretch yourself, if they are breaking, why go to the expensive shell at all? Imagine practicing to hit that long crosser with the cheap shell and missing it first shot with the expensive one. See what a head screw it can all be? It’s personal to each shooter I would say. Personally I can’t change anything without my head going. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just buy the cheap shell all the time but carry a handful of titanium strike or something similar in a 6.5 for anything real tasty.  I bought a slab of parcours 6.5 about 5 years ago to supplement my budget cartridge and still got 100 left to go at. 

I have started to use eley select 28g myself from using superbs (purely based on cost), I still take a box of superbs for anything that looks a bit tricky but I have used enough selects now to know that they convincingly break 95% of targets, very soft to shoot as well. I also have some temporary satisfaction that I am now paying less for carts than i was prior to all the price increases.

I've shot 24gm Eley Select for a few years now, very good at all ranges with the appropriate choke fitted. 

Is there any shell cheap now to make a difference in savings?? Like a 21 g fiocchi tt compared to a fiocchi f blu. They are both expensive now, but not as expensive as hull pro one or sovereign.  So split the difference,  use f blu for everything.  They are a top class cartridge that will break any target with authority. Then forget about cartridges,  concentrate on breaking the clay. 

Is there any shell cheap now to make a difference in savings?? Like a 21 g fiocchi tt compared to a fiocchi f blu. They are both expensive now, but not as expensive as hull pro one or sovereign.  So split the difference,  use f blu for everything.  They are a top class cartridge that will break any target with authority. Then forget about cartridges,  concentrate on breaking the clay. 
Agree with all that but I just wish F Blu were available in 8 shot, as everywhere I look 7.5 is the only size stocked and Italian 7.5 equals UK 7. It's not a deal breaker but I'd much rather have 8s

Agree with all that but I just wish F Blu were available in 8 shot, as everywhere I look 7.5 is the only size stocked and Italian 7.5 equals UK 7. It's not a deal breaker but I'd much rather have 8s
You won't find  f blu in a 8. They don't make them.  Only 7 1/2. Italian.  And honestly I think it makes 0 difference, practically ,on closer stuff and benefit on rangier birds. But maybe it makes a difference in some people head.  And clay shooting is definitely a head game.  Another good shell that was reasonable money last year is B and P competition one. In 7 1/2 Italian.  Very smooth,  very consistent,  very hard hitting.  That's what I do be looking for in a cartridge. And just use them on everything. I use to swap to 9's for real close stuff etc. But in reality,  if your on them or your not. 

I shoot TT 1's they do them in 8 . Think they are the best cartridge around and very cost effective

Latest posts

Back